New "Sci Fi" weapon in Afghanistan

Started by Silver Creek, December 02, 2010, 10:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Creek

Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Woolly Bugger

well done, hope it is put to good use soon!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

I saw a demonstration of this weapon system, firing above a cinder block wall with a 1/2 thick plywood sheet behind the wall..........It perforated the plywood with heavy splinter on the exit side.

This should put a hurt on the enemy........OOOOOOOOyaaaaaaaaaaaa!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

cmiller51h

I'm pretty skepitcal on this thing. High Tech dont work so well over there! b';
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

croaker

Quote from: cmiller51h on December 02, 2010, 14:51:11 PM

I agree.

"With this weapon system, we take away cover from [enemy targets] forever," Lehner told FoxNews.com on Wednesday. "Tactics are going to have to be rewritten. The only thing we can see [enemies] being able to do is run away."

Damn that...  If the enemy can run away, he can fight another day.
Kill them, then move on to the next target. 

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

phg

...not that I begrudge our soldiers in the field any edge they can get, but I wonder how much each round costs.  From the writeup, each round has to have a microprocessor in it as well as a wireless connection back to the launch weapon for 2-way communication.  I'm not sure how easy the communications would be to jam, but basically, this sounds like a high-tech upgrade of the RPG.

Silver Creek

Quote from: cmiller51h on December 02, 2010, 14:51:11 PM

I have got to disagree.

Global Hawks, Reapers, and Predator drones have killed a bunch of Al-Qaeda, including the second in command.

How would you like to go on night patrol without night vision. How about long distance patrols without satellite communications. If you were 20 miles into enemy terrain, how important would be the ability to call in predator strikes or laser guided bombs usiing your digital satellite communication.

How about some thing we don't think of as high tech but certainly is, ceramic body armor. Army Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta, medal of honor winner was shot in the chest stopped by his bullet proof vest, while winning the medal.

"Giunta was knocked down when a bullet hit him in his armored chest plate. He immediately charged straight into enemy fire in order to pull a comrade back to cover."
Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Phil

It looks cool, but I'm suspicious.
My experience -- In the field (whether it is desert sandstorms, jungle monsoons, etc. ) in horrible conditions, high tech weapons always seem to jam up and fail. Sand, rain, mud, etc. play Hell on those newfangled things. Maybe it's just me, but I dunno.
It looks good in tests at the nice testing facility....