News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

empty seat

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 04, 2024, 10:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

#24 -- 21

Fishbug sent a text saying there was an empty seat on a planned New River float targeting prespawn smallies.

I kept looking at the upstream gauges and knew there was a lot of water flowing into Virginia. I kept him informed of my reservations, but he was going anyway as his friend Will had already committed.

I took photos of all the fish we caught!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The Stealthcraft is a fine ride and rows well but that didn't help us any other than retrieving flies caught on branches and submerged structure.

The river was up a foot according to local musky fisherman who reported seeing a few fish which was more than we could say.

The weather was perfect and it was a nice boat ride on a beautiful stretch of the river. I hope to return under better conditions.

Thanks for the invite.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Fishbug

Almost all the stars aligned except the most important one.
Shoulda trusted the older and wiser.
But there's worse ways to spend a Sunday.
Revenge shall be planned.  :cheers

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Fishbug on March 04, 2024, 16:37:47 PMAlmost all the stars aligned except the most important one.
Shoulda trusted the older and wiser.
But there's worse ways to spend a Sunday.
Revenge shall be planned.  :cheers

5kcfs is rough down there for sure. Been screwed couple times by pulses as well. Gotta roll with the punches.

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 04, 2024, 10:38:54 AM

The Stealthcraft is a fine ride and rows well but that didn't help us any other than retrieving flies caught on branches and submerged structure.

Some think fishing from a small canoe is nuts.  The lack of access is not the only reason why one never sees a raft or drift boat on the upper reaches of the Yadkin.  Water is too fast, and there are too many snags.

Some think flyfishing from a canoe whilst sitting down is lame, dumb, and poor form. I snapped my special Killwell flyrod on the Yadkin while fishing from a jon boat years ago.  Never again. With the my 119 canoe, I can spin on a dime, and crank upstream at 4mph with a kayak paddle.