News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Jackson River II

Started by Gofisher, October 10, 2007, 13:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gofisher

My Shit Ridge Sojourn

Arriving several hours ahead of the other members, I was blessed to spend some quality time with FatAl and the Swampwitch. After popping open the first of many "pussy beers" that I would imbibe on this journey, I was allowed to cast some nice boo rods. Once my instructor got me to s-l-o-w down my cast, I enjoyed the buttery smooth action of a couple rods. I was next treated to some chili and homemade German tater bread. While eating I was also entertained with some stories that had me laughing heartily. 
Upon the arrival of the others, more boo was cast and more barley products were ingested. After flipping the car keys to WB, we proceeded to the beautiful Jackson to set up camp.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

We got camp set up just before dark and sat around telling more stories and castigating some of the ass hats that frequent some of these boards.

In the morning, the fishing portion of the trip began. I was pleasantly surprised when I hooked into a boisterous rainbow on one of my first casts! It was a harbinger of two days (for me) of great fishing on an unpressured stretch of water. Now, when I speak of fishing, I speak of the whole experience, not just the line on the water and the tug of the fish. The changing color of the leaves on the ridges, the gurgling of  the cold water in  the speedy rapids, the spitchhh sound of opening a can of beer, are all part of the "fishing" that I enjoy so much. WB and Phish pounded the water like men possessed. It was a joy to watch, and I did much of that. When FatAl arrived, I was happy to sit with him and critique the others. Again, I was treated to the knowledge that so few will ever possess. Listening and watching, I garnered information that will stay with me always.

FatAl's son Will had left us a load of wood, and Phish got a fire stoked up for the night. We sat around and enjoyed the company of each other, reveling in the breathtaking night skies above us. Once again, I enjoyed a meal of chili and tater bread, made all the more tasteful by the environment of its consumption. I think because of the three days of chili, I had bad gas. This of course, is just an assumption on my part. After Will had taken FatAl home, we burnt the rest of the wood, and then turned in for the night.

My goal for the next day was to land a Jackson River brown. I was not to be disappointed and was rewarded on one of my first casts in the morning. After finishing up my "beat" that morning, I knew the catching part of trip was accomplished. As the others continued to wave their sticks and release healthy, acrobatic fish, I sat and admired the country around me, and the people I had been fortunate to meet, all because of this pastime called fishing.

I rode with Phish to pick up FatAl for my last day, while WB hammered them up in the Wowee Hole. We had to go by Kroger for some more beer, so I proudly wore my SRFFC t-shirt. I learned never to by an 18pack of beer. When we returned to the river, I sat once more next to a man that has done more in his life, than I could do in two lives. We drank, we talked, we critiqued, it was the part of a "fishing" trip that I will remember and treasure. I half heartedly tossed my line in the water for a few minutes, but I knew my stream time was done. One more evening sitting around a fire in rural Virginia, listening to the flowing Jackson and reveling in the conversation, and my trip would be over. After another fine meal of chili, we sat by the fire until FatAl had to leave. I said goodbye knowing that I had met not a mountain man, but a man of the mountains.

In the morning I slept in a little late, so WB and Phish helped me hastily tear down and pack up so I could make the eight hour drive home in time for my daughter's cheerleading competition. I had plenty of time on the drive home to reflect on the weekend's events. I was lucky to spend this seemingly short time with three men whose passion for fly fishing, the outdoors, and zeal for life, was as obvious as the trico hatch that showed up daily. Thank you all for a fine weekend and memories I will carry forever. A double thanks to you FatAl, for letting me enjoy a great "fishing" trip on your little section of paradise. Remember; don't eat the peanuts after FatAl...

0--0
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

brownhunter

Excellent report, Gofisher. Thanks for sharing.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

lepomis_mcro

that looks like one awsome trip.

my favorite pic is the first one. it reminds me of how some people like get their pic taken with lefty, or flip.
but for me, a shot of myself standing beside AL would top those two.
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

kylemc

wish I could have made it...GREAT story Gordo.

croaker

Thanks Gordy!!!

Grand words and pictures in yer report.
Wish I coulda been there.

don
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Woolly Bugger

"here's Johnny"!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

lipripper

"...don't eat the peanuts after FatAl..." What does this mean?

lr

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: lipripper on October 17, 2007, 09:14:01 AM
"...don't eat the peanuts after FatAl..." What does this mean?

lr

inside joke...
me -There's a season?

Damselfly

It means they start out chocolate covered! ;D

Great report! Sharing times like that with friends is what it's all about, isn't it.

Gofisher

Bump ...Don't eat the peanuts after Al...
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Beetle

Great memories Gordie.   

Did you note that someone is fishing plastique in your report?   I'm sure that someone caught a lot of shit from Al!