News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Water water water

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 30, 2017, 13:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

2017- 48

With all the rain it's been difficult to find a close by stream to fish so when the spokananator said "let's do a bike and fish on the whitetop" I was in.

But he couldn't leave until afternoon and we had to stop and pick up and load the bikes.

I think we got on the steam before 4! Since the river was running at a boisterous level we thought we'd have great success with streamers on sinking lines!

Spork hooked into a rainbow that was just out of he pine category while I struggled to find a fish.

Saw some green drakes and small stones flying around.  I got into some decent water and had a nice brown hot the streamer as it hit the water! Bam, bam! But it missed the hook. Next cast the fish turned on the slumpbuster and missed again!

In that same run I turned another one and had a short strike by a third fish.

After biking down aways we decided to head back switching over to nymphs and hitting some of the same runs I finally manages to land a pune brown, the Spork had three or four on the day. There were some coffin flies landing on the water but I never saw a rise and thought that there was too much water flowing through the gorge for the fish to really be looking up. Back in Winston just after ten!

No camera with me, just the GoPro so here is a crappy video of the day!

Although he day barely got into the 70s we wet waded, I only mention that because on the way out we saw a local fly fisherman wearing neoprene chest waders!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutfanatic

pretty much how it looked during PFF too.

Onslow

You all crack me up.  Driving 2 hours to hit one of the largest area trout streams after a monsoon.  But hey, you all did better that I y;

Yesterday at 4 pm, both the SF Holston near Damascus and Chilhowie gages were showing flows at the rate of 5.5, and 4 cfs per sq. mile respectively.  The drainage size for Whitetop at the junction is 38 sq. miles.  My guestimated  flow for WTL was 200 cfs yesterday pm, or a tad more since it's theoretically the wettest watershed in the upper SFH due to it having the highest average altitude of all the primary tribs.  This is decent flow for whitewater kayaking, not fishing!  I C-1ed this section when the SF Holston was running 3200 cfs @ Damascus many years ago, and wow, what a ride!

Whenever I used to pull a kayak up a smallish smallie river, or large trout flow, I would shoot for flows between 100-120 cfs.  Even those flows are tiresome.

Woolly Bugger

Try 2:45 each way!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Onslow on May 30, 2017, 18:52:45 PM
You all crack me up.  Driving 2 hours to hit one of the largest area trout streams after a monsoon.  But hey, you all did better that I y;

This is decent flow for whitewater kayaking, not fishing! 

I saw a stand up paddler running white top on saturday with ease just ducking the limbs. Wild looking ride in some sections for sure!

Dee-Vo

Sooooo much more water than when I was there a while back. I enjoyed that creek. Pretty challenging which was what I liked. Low-ass water and pressure from all the cyclist/fishermen crowd.

NCsporksman

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on May 30, 2017, 20:37:42 PM
Quote from: Onslow on May 30, 2017, 18:52:45 PM

This is decent flow for whitewater kayaking, not fishing! 

I saw a stand up paddler running white top on saturday with ease just ducking the limbs. Wild looking ride in some sections for sure!
Damn dude you probably passed me, i was surprised no crock boters were out, it looked gnarly

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

troutboy_II

"pine category"?? :-\

I profess my ignorance - splain please.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutboy_II on May 31, 2017, 17:36:22 PM
"pine category"?? :-\

I profess my ignorance - splain please.

TB

Pune not pine --- small trouts

me -There's a season?

Onslow

First six minutes is Green Cove.

Vid says this was a January run, 2012.  Highest flow indicated by hydrologic data indicates SF Holston @ Damascus was 2500 cfs for that particular month.
Water seems a bit high for that gage reading.

https://wdr.water.usgs.gov/wy2012/pdfs/03473000.2012.pdf?1496278007978

Dee-Vo

Green Cove is a kick ass stream. Huge lightning/thunder storm pounded us while I fished that one. Spooky as hell but good fishing.