News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Big water brookies

Started by BrookieHunter, July 14, 2016, 15:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrookieHunter

Summer break keeps me pretty busy with the kids so when by some miracle I found myself with an entire day free I figured I better take advantage of it. I've always hesitated to fish this one solo due to the reputation it has for being so remote and rugged but I figured it was now or never so I loaded up in the early morning and headed west before daylight. I arrived at an empty trail head at 7:00 and started the climb, this hike is no joke with absolutely no flat portions just straight up and straight back down. Arrived at the river at 9:00 to find two tents with people just barely waking up and no sign of anybody headed upstream.  I had quite a bit of apprehension about fishing this solo after the first sight of this stream, with huge boulders and log jams :o visible at the first sight of the river. After a few minutes of looking around I found a fairly safe way around the first major obstacles and proceeded upstream. I fished upstream about three hours with no major obstacles or anything that I would call unsafe with just a little common sense. There are several places you have to cross to the other side of the river in order to get upstream and this could make it pretty unsafe if water levels are up. Now, this stream is much bigger than what I usually fish so it took just a little bit to get dialed in (thank god I brought my long rod) but once I did the fishing was really good with a mix of brookies and rainbows (should of brought a stringer for the rainbows). All the rainbows hit my dropper with the brookies about 50/50 between the dry and nymph, the biggest brookie of the day got tail hooked on the dropper and proceeded to go straight under a rock. With him foul hooked, no amount of force could budge him and the hook popped loose. With the threat of thunderstorms in the distance I turned around and headed back down the stream and made the long tortuous hike out with plans in my head to return. Overall I'd say it is definitely worth the effort although it is more effort than the other not so secret big water brook trout stream and I guess the perceived danger comes down to the individual. If your idea of dangerous is a sketchy pull off on a DH stream and the briars on the fifty foot hike to the stream then it's probably not for you. :laugh:

Dougfish

Looks good.  'c;

Two things.
That doesn't look dangerous from your pics. Low gradient. You trying to fake us out?
And did you glue that rock to your hand? A bow and then a brook, same rock. Wadafucque?
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

Enjoyed that. [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrookieHunter

Two things.
That doesn't look dangerous from your pics. Low gradient. You trying to fake us out?
And did you glue that rock to your hand? A bow and then a brook, same rock. Wadafucque?
[/quote]

Everything I have heard and read about this stream made it sound much more dangerous, with most everything saying not to go alone but as you can see it wasn't that bad. Several places you had wade a little deep but nothing bad with these water levels. I didn't take any pictures of the boulders and log jam at the start where the trail crosses because it would be to much of a give away of the location, not that it's anything top secret. I pulled six fish out of that hole where the rock is stuck to my palm, I had no idea it was there until looking at the pictures, kinda hard to believe it wouldn't fall off.

Woolly Bugger

Purdy

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

Sweet! I have not fished that in many years. Looks like you did it justice!
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

thisuser

Where was this?

BrookieHunter

Quote from: thisuser on November 08, 2016, 06:24:44 AM
Where was this?

I'm obviously not going to give out any names but with just a little bit of research anybody can find this one in quite a few books and probably even a few fly shop employees would mention it.

Dougfish

That question does not justify a response. Newb.  n!n
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

Where was this?

Mitchell River

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Michael Toris

Quote from: driver on November 08, 2016, 08:08:46 AM
Where was this?

Mitchell River

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I thought I recognized that. Keen eye!

sanjuanwormhatch

That looks a lot like the Chattahoochee.  Most likely Paces.  Prime time DH water.  Listed on TU 100 best rivers.  Well worth the trip. 

BrookieHunter

You guys all have it wrong, I'm only going to reveal this top secret location once. Reems Creek, probably the best fishery in WNC. Please don't tell anybody else.

Yallerhammer

Dammit, I was wrong then. I thought it was Cane Creek.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

KevinD62

Quote from: Dougfish on November 08, 2016, 07:26:37 AM
That question does not justify a response. Newb.  n!n

You people are so rude.  Yes this does deserve an answer.  Newb, just re-read the original post.  Head west, park at the empty trail head.  Go straight up then straight back down.  You can't miss it. 

0:0
Kevin
"Fight like you're the third monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark."
"Of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy."