News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Nets?

Started by driver, January 22, 2015, 23:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

driver

I'm in the market for a new net. The one I'm using, the hoop is too small and the bag to shallow and stiff. What are you guys using? I really don't want to have to drop $100 on a net to get what I'm looking for.

_Fish_Pimp

Frabil at walmart, with rubber netting its the cheapest decent net.

Or nomads are nice but pricey. I've got a little wachter. And a metal one for the boat. A fisknat float tube net that's giant for guiding wade trips.

benben reincarnated

Get a cheap net or build your own net, and just buy a brodin bag for it.

driver

I think the one I have now is a frabil. Got it at Dick's. The bag has got stiff and its just not deep enough. 18-20 inch fish flop out with ease.

bmadd

I'm working on my net. I had a raquetball racquet from college that was just taking up space. Cut the strings out, ordered a Brodin knockoff bag from China, sanded the frame and removed the grip. Waiting on a good day to paint the frame and still trying to figure out my new handle. I've got $15 bucks in it right now.

rbphoto

Yard sale trout nets?  I like it!
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Woolly Bugger

Brodin Phantom Tailwater $90 retail.... y; -0- p;- -+; n!n
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flatlander

The best net is the one on the back of your buddy's vest :;!  I hate carrying a net.

Woolly Bugger

@Rhody, where was your net yesterday??? d:b
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

_Fish_Pimp

Quote from: Flatlander on January 23, 2015, 11:23:16 AM
The best net is the one on the back of your buddy's vest :;!  I hate carrying a net.

Very true!

Aka

Quote from: Flatlander on January 23, 2015, 11:23:16 AM

X2 on that!

Rhody

My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

driver

Possibly a winner?
She ain't pretty but should work. I'll Keep my eye out at the FF show.

Transylwader

I have 6 nets. 2custom and 4 Brodins. The word BRO isn't in there for nothing. They are great nets, the newer ones bags suck balls. Benny is investigating on one, I ordered a replacement for both Ghost fireholes and the tailwater. The phantom is in its wrapper. I'll sell it to you for 50 donkey

Peddler

I just got a long handled Brodin and like it for the additional length and the pretty nice finish. If Tropical Lightning was still around there's no question I would have popped for yet another Tropical Lightning though. Maybe I can buy back one of those I got for other people.
Now that they've been out a while, are the ghost-type net bags the real deal? All of my nets have the soft woven bags but I'm wondering if it's time to change them out for the clear bags. My main reason in considering the clear bags isn't that I'm afraid of spooking the fish with the old-school bags but am tired of getting hooks out of them. Do the clear net bags really snag the hook less and is there a problem with droppers falling more easily through the larger holes in the clear bags?
I have a clear bag, dacron line and tapestry needles sitting on the bench waiting for me to get my wretched ass to work but I'm still not 100% sure it's the right move.
Help an old man out here!
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.