News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Bald Eagle Sitings

Started by Onslow, September 23, 2020, 18:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Prior to this year, I may have seen 3 bald eagles in my entire life. In the last two weeks, one was injured near Hamptonville, and rescued.

Last Thursday, one swooped down dangerously close to a big rig here.
https://goo.gl/maps/BtBcyWi3VGqWYDkF7

While driving to a job this morning, I happened to see a smallish once standing/jumping in someone's front yard.  This was a most unusual, and unexpected sight. It was located here.
https://goo.gl/maps/BkFZqF1mSG9oXsPX8

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Two were recently killed just north of here.  Sad world.

https://www.newsleader.com/story/news/2020/08/25/nuckols-gun-works-offers-reward-eagles-killed-highland-county/3437199001/

I've seen several over the last few years, or they may be the same birds, but very cool to watch through the glass. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

troutrus

Never tire of watching them. 🦅🦅🦅🦅
Have never seen any in our town, but I'm told there's been a nesting pair the last few years at the landfill near Wentworth.
Have seen some at Philpott Lake. Fairly plentiful at Kerr Lake (Buggs Island). Bunches of them down on the lower James R below Richmond.

itieuglyflies

Many years ago I taught a field ornithology class for local college with the goal of showing students 100 species of birds in Virginia during the semester. Some years we  never saw an eagle and if we did see one it was a major highlight!
Today it is not uncommon to see a dozen or more while fishing. They are now so common a friend/fishing guide  offers Eagle Tours on the lower James.

ryguy

I've seen them a lot on the lower James.  Eastern Virginia has a good number, and see the occasional eagle up near Stafford.  They are remarkable and the only bird I have ever seen that does not actively get out of the way of an aircraft.

Dougfish

I sight ten plus a year now.
It was the only raptor I saw on our CA trip. 
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Yallerhammer

I see them almost every time I get around a big body of water now. I've even seen a couple on the river below my house. I do a good bit of fishing on Clark's Hill lake, and I usually see several every day down there. There is one point where a pair has nested three years in a row now in a big pine tree, and there is an annual osprey nest a few hundred yards away. Pretty cool stuff.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on September 23, 2020, 20:59:04 PMI sight ten plus a year now.
It was the only raptor I saw on our CA trip. 

What you talking about?  You don't remember that big hawk (assuming red tail) flying way above us?  That dude was way up there. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Here's an interesting map of spotted Virginia eagle nests.  Seems a few have braved the environs west of the Blue Ridge to try to raise their young.

https://ccbbirds.org/maps/#eagles

PS:  Not to disappoint Yaller and Big J, so a suck fest novel in a totally unrelated thread.   Some, some I say, conservatives suck.  Some liberals suck.  Some gun-owners suck.  Some non-gun-owners suck.  Some believers suck.  Some atheists suck.  Some whites born with indoor plumbing suck.  Some whites born obliged to use an outhouse suck.  Some people of color suck.  Some sane folk suck.  Some irrational folk suck.  Some males suck.  Some females suck.  Some transgenders suck.  Some wives suck. Some husbands suck.  Some teachers suck.  Some students suck.  Some old people suck.  Some youngsters suck.  Some environmentalists suck.  Some industrialists suck.  Some working folk suck.  Some on the government teat suck.  Some hunters suck.  Some anti-hunters suck.  Some animal lovers suck.  Some animal husbandry folk suck.  Some smart people suck.  Some ignorant people suck.  Some eagle watchers suck.  Some blind people suck.  Most fly anglers suck.  All liars and UVA fans suck. 

Woolly Bugger

First one that I recall seeing in my adult life was on the Allagash waterway in the 80's, it was the second or third day of the trip paddling on Eagle Lake when we saw a Bald Eagle soring overhead and my girlfriend exclaimed, "It makes you proud to be an American!"

I've seen them on the Smith and Jackson Rivers as well as down by Jordan lake.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 24, 2020, 09:42:22 AMFirst one that I recall seeing in my adult life was on the Allagash waterway in the 80's, it was the second or third day of the trip paddling on Eagle Lake when we saw a Bald Eagle soring overhead and my girlfriend exclaimed, "It makes you proud to be an American!"

Cool, but it doesn't add up.  Doug claims all your girlfriends have had difficulty seeing – something about the only way you ever got laid, much less roping one of them into a camping/canoeing trip.  So, how the heck did this unique gal see the high-flying eagle?

PS: Some girlfriends suck.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on September 24, 2020, 11:43:38 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 24, 2020, 09:42:22 AMFirst one that I recall seeing in my adult life was on the Allagash waterway in the 80's, it was the second or third day of the trip paddling on Eagle Lake when we saw a Bald Eagle soring overhead and my girlfriend exclaimed, "It makes you proud to be an American!"

Cool, but it doesn't add up.  Doug claims all your girlfriends have had difficulty seeing – something about the only way you ever got laid, much less roping one of them into a camping/canoeing trip.  So, how the heck did this unique gal see the high-flying eagle?

PS: Some girlfriends suck.

The guide pointed it out...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

driver

Any large body of water or river has them in my neck of the woods. Kerr lake is infested with them.

Stone-Man

I have seen them on the SOHO B/4 and I saw one fly over the Watauga close to  Elizabethton

JT

itieuglyflies

I hear they taste "fishy" but still better than great blue heron.