News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

NC stream

Started by troutphisher, November 17, 2008, 19:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished a stream in the mountains of western NC to day, with Caleb and his friend.
Caleb said he planned to fish this stream and invited me to join them.

Caleb said they would meet me on the stream around 9:00am. I got on the water at 7:45am and it was cold. The air temp was 28 degs and the water was 40 deg. The water was crystal clear and flowing at a good level, not the average for this time of year, but still flowing enough to fish.

I started the morning fishing a grey midge pattern, and had to fight ice in the guides, but managed several nice browns and rainbows. Caleb and friends showed up at 9:00am and decided to fish down stream in the slack water. After about an hour, I moved down to join them.

I could see some midges starting to come off, so I switched fly's to a red midge pupa size 22 and a red zebra midge size 20. I dropped the pupa about 12" below the zebra, and had fun catching browns and rainbows. Caleb was just down stream of me, and I heard him say got one!
I looked over and saw Caleb fighting a big rainbow. It was a pretty fish.

Soon after Calebs big bow, I spotted a nice brook feeding in the seam of a boulder, I cast the fly just above the boulder and let the current pull the fly into the seam. The brook moved to intercept the fly and the fight was on, it fought hard and pulled some drag out. When I got into the net, it was a nice fat brook with bright orange belly and dark rimmed mouth.

A little later in the afternoon, The fish started rising and sipping midges, so I switched fly's to a red midge cdc emerger, and had a blast catching more rainbows and browns in the seams.

I could see a dark shadow next to the break seam, and decided to cast the fly to it, again I cast just up stream and let the current pull the fly to the fish. The fish saw the fly and moved foward to take it, and the fight was on. This fished pulled 30 yards of line out very quickly, and I palmed the reel to slow it down. When I finally got into the net it was a nice 20" rainbow.

A little later in the day, Calebs friend hooked into the big rainbow, Caleb got a look at it and estimated it was over 24". His friend fought the fish hard, but the fish broke off to fight another battle.

We spent the rest of the afternoon fishing midges, and bows. I used ten different fly's and caught fish on all of them. Tan midge pupa, red midge pupa, and olive midges, seam to get fish to move.
The dry's for the day were red midge emergers, size 22 and bwo emergers size 24.

I gave the new nymph bamboo a real work out today, and I really like this rod!

We had a blast today, and really pounded the fish...he he he he the poor bastards. We all caught fish today.
Caleb and his friend left around 5:00pm and I stayed until it was to dark to see the fly's.

Here are some pic's on the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

CR

Damn fine fish you guys tied into!
"I Feel God In This Chili's Tonight"

ColdOnTheShoulder

Awesome report. That is a seriously BADASS brookie!

benflyfishn

Sounds like a great day, therefore a you suck is in hand. 0--0
What happens on the stream, stays there..........

Trout Maharishi

I hate I missed it :'( I can tell by the photos and your report what kind of day it was. ;hb
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

Ya, It would have been cool. Your red midge pattern was the fly today.
In the clear water, I could see the fish charge it. That is one of the best patterns I have used.

Thanks again, for letting me have a couple.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Beetle

Awesome trip and report.  Glad you guys had a good day.  Love the pics of the fired up brookie and hoss-rainbow!  Nice work.

calebB

It was indeed a good day.  Karl caught a lot of really nice fish-- then again, I would expect him to after he admitted to fishing for 14 days straight now. ::)  Here are a few more photos.

Trout Maharishi

Caleb,
Did you cast left handed all day? You need to become amphibious to take some of the strain off your right wrist. Did it bother you any today?
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

there's some real porkers in that stream...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

calebB

TM- you mean ambidextrious right?  I figure I am pretty amphibious b/c I was standing in the creek all day. >:D  Seriously, I tried left handed but its so frustrating because you can't do what you want-- its like starting all over again. :P  I was able to fish with my right hand for most of the time.  I just took breaks every hour or so to rest it.

Caleb

Fire-Fly

Nice day fellows, Tp i'm sure you;ll be posting a recipe for that fly you used all day. ;D

troutphisher

I signed an NDA (non disclosure agreement) with the holy one. I am not sure what the punishment is for transgressing this agreement. They have some serious laws in Nepal.

It could cost me a limb?... :o, or at the very least some kind of sexual act with a midget.

Either way, it's to risky to divulged this information in full detail.

Gofisher

Great report and some fine fish pics!
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

kylemc