Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Confederate Memorials stay or go?

Keep them.
18 (69.2%)
Good riddance
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Woolly Bugger

Baltimore removed four statues in the dead of night!

Women arrested in Durham vandalism of statue.

And DC's Lincoln Memorial vandalized with spray-painted expletive
http://wr.al/18pxyGuests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

http://wxii12.com/article/confederate-monument-vandalized-in-winston-salem/12035637?src=app

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

We are on the verge of another Civil War. It is one thing to have your elected officials decide to remove monuments- that's the democratic process even though we may disagree.

But it is another thing entirely to have thugs vandalize them - that is throwing gasoline on the fire which IMHO is their intention. It is not vandalizem,  it is inciting a riot.

Michael Toris

Quote from: Al on August 19, 2017, 07:45:56 AM
We are on the verge of another Civil War. It is one thing to have your elected officials decide to remove monuments- that's the democratic process even though we may disagree.

But it is another thing entirely to have thugs vandalize them - that is throwing gasoline on the fire which IMHO is their intention. It is not vandalizem,  it is inciting a riot.
Step away from the news and you will find we are not nearly as divided as many want us to believe

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

troutfanatic

Quote from: DAYUMson on August 19, 2017, 10:49:11 AM

Step away from the news and you will find we are not nearly as divided as many want us to believe

Exactly. The media and the political elites with their moneyed interests pulling their strings are the only ones who want this "division" because they are the only ones who benefit.

Al

Quote from: troutfanatic on August 19, 2017, 11:41:31 AM

Exactly. The media and the political elites with their moneyed interests pulling their strings are the only ones who want this "division" because they are the only ones who benefit.

Therein lies the problem.

The KKK, Wannabee Militias, White Supremacists and the like are disdained by 99.9% of the population. They a very small fringe group.  Even if they combined forces they couldn't stand up to a battalion of regular troops. If they would ignored they would eventually go away.

The ultra-left on the other hand are egged on by the media and political elites who use them as "useful idiots" to help retain power and further the agenda of converting this country into something most of us do not want. They are also financed by individuals and groups who use them for the same purpose. Neither the media, political elite or their financial backers have "what's good for the country as their primary motivator 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Al on August 19, 2017, 12:40:46 PM
Quote from: troutfanatic on August 19, 2017, 11:41:31 AM

Therein lies the problem.

The KKK, Wannabee Militias, White Supremacists and the like are disdained by 99.9% of the population. They a very small fringe group.  Even if they combined forces they couldn't stand up to a battalion of regular troops. If they would ignored they would eventually go away.

The ultra-left on the other hand are egged on by the media and political elites who use them as "useful idiots" to help retain power and further the agenda of converting this country into something most of us do not want. They are also financed by individuals and groups who use them for the same purpose. Neither the media, political elite or their financial backers have "what's good for the country as their primary motivator

I don't know about this, and I certainly do not have any true answers or solutions, only opinions, like most others.

I fail to blame the media, politicians, the left, or the right for any divisions; we're all to blame.  We're evolutionarily wired to be fucked up, in my opinion.

Not to offend Big J., my one identifiable, passionate, non-hypocritical, religious friend (I may have more but he's the only one that I know of that is praying for my soul), but I also blame religion for many of the world's ills and divisions, historically and present, and not just one religion, BUT all religions.   If you worship something as benign as trees with an injudicious unverifiable conviction, then I feel you're on a toxic path.  With me all faiths are fair game.

Combine all these --our evolved flaws, our mythical dogmas, our ignorance, and our fear of death, and you have a venomous synergistic recipe.

Peace, you imperfect beings
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

troutfanatic

I believe if you condemn one side, you must condemn the other. Yes, the neonazis and klan types killed someone in Charlottesville, currently they are the worse of the two, but the anti-fascist groups are equally violent, and they go to these event specifically to incite chaos.

It was revealed this week that the neonazi leader was a member of occupy wallstreet, and had supported president Obama. The occupy movement is just antifa under a different moniker. That's a pretty steep cliff to jump off of in just eight years- from far left occupy, to far right nazi shit. I smell a rat.

The centrist answer is to ignore them both unless they present an immediate problem to you. turn off the news, all of it, and go live your lives. You can fight discrimination in everyday life without wearing a mask and inciting riots. You can stand for free speech without waving confederate flags and burning crosses.

Yallerhammer

Yes. When you go far enough to either the right or left, you circle around until you meet each other. The neo-nazis and the anti-fa are basically the same type of folks, who are only interested in stirring up shit, getting attention, destroying stuff, exercising anarchy, and keeping friction going between normal folks. Interestingly enough, the folks who style themselves as "anti-fascists," very closely meet the definition of fascists: collective authoritarians.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Onslow

Quote from: Yallerhammer on August 19, 2017, 16:48:47 PM
Yes. When you go far enough to either the right or left, you circle around until you meet each other. The neo-nazis and the anti-fa are basically the same type of folks, who are only interested in stirring up shit, getting attention, destroying stuff, exercising anarchy, and keeping friction going between normal folks. Interestingly enough, the folks who style themselves as "anti-fascists," very closely meet the definition of fascists: collective authoritarians.

I would love to know how many anti-fa folk donate food to food banks, and donate to charities that help the poor. 

troutfanatic

Quote from: Yallerhammer on August 19, 2017, 16:48:47 PM

Spot on. There is no middle ground with either group. I got into an argument with one of the antifa types and it could best be summarized as, "if you don't agree with us 100%, you are a passive nazi supporter." Any effort to argue logically or debate with them is answered by calling you a bigot, racist, fascist, or homophobe. Conversely, the nazi/klan side won't tolerate moderation, because you are complicit with eradicating white heritage... blah blah blah.

This is not positive dialogue in anyway. Replacing one extremist idea with another is a losing battle every time.

Ken,
I doubt that happens. Most of these antifa types are already dependent on others, like their parents.

Big J

I pray for more of you all then I like to admit. You all need some help.

You can always go to far to one side of another with a belief, even truly moral ones. currently have a little one that was born who is being held over another day. Rough delivery, battling some blood sugar issues and now Jaundice from the bruising that is healing. Life is too short and fragile. So screw the KKK and Antifa and the KKK and the nazis and the KKK. And don't get a bass boat.

Dougfish

Dickheads. Just call them all dickheads. Slam dunk. Dickheads.Or assholes. Take your pick. I've got more labels, if needed.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutfanatic

Quote from: Big J on August 19, 2017, 17:27:41 PM
I pray for more of you all then I like to admit. You all need some help.

You can always go to far to one side of another with a belief, even truly moral ones. currently have a little one that was born who is being held over another day. Rough delivery, battling some blood sugar issues and now Jaundice from the bruising that is healing. Life is too short and fragile. So screw the KKK and Antifa and the KKK and the nazis and the KKK. And don't get a bass boat.

Hang in there, and I shall keep Sailor's sibling in my thoughts. Your point is relevant. Ken's point is relevant, and so is Grayson's there is always something bigger than the latest headline, the latest political fiasco. Right now, a thoughts about a healthy baby prevail for me.

don't get a bass boat Mud.

Yep, dickheads Doug.