Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Confederate Memorials stay or go?

Keep them.
18 (69.2%)
Good riddance
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

sanjuanwormhatch

Some dispatches from Georgia.

1.  Genius protesters on Sunday night defaced a statue celebrating the Confederate surrender.

2.  Gubernatorial candidate Stacy Abrams calls for removal of Confederate monument at the iconic Stone Mountain. 

troutfanatic

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 15, 2017, 07:52:19 AM
There has been talk on social media about tearing down the soldier memorial in Winston -- this will motivate them

Remembering the soldiers who lost there lives is different than honoring the generals imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, and this lawlessness should not be condoned. It's been said the average foot soldier didn't even understand what they were fighting for. Slave ownership was for the elites that could afford them.

troutfanatic

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on August 15, 2017, 08:40:16 AM

1.  Genius protesters on Sunday night defaced a statue celebrating the Confederate surrender.

2.  Gubernatorial candidate Stacy Abrams calls for removal of Confederate monument at the iconic Stone Mountain.
Stone Mountain needs to go. It is like Stonehenge to white supremacists.

Big J

Quote from: troutfanatic on August 15, 2017, 08:47:00 AM
Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on August 15, 2017, 08:40:16 AM

Stone Mountain needs to go. It is like Stonehenge to white supremacists.

It is privately owned, brings in crazy amount of money, and is in Georgia, ain't gonna happen. 

troutfanatic

Perhaps, but the lawless anarchists can remove it for them regardless of ownership

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

QuoteDestroying or removing the structures eliminates opportunities for productively using our past. Critical contextualization is the better alternative

The Meaning of Our Confederate Monuments
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Phil

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 15, 2017, 10:48:31 AM
QuoteDestroying or removing the structures eliminates opportunities for productively using our past. Critical contextualization is the better alternative

The Meaning of Our Confederate Monuments

Good article, Woolly. Thanks for linking it.

Dougfish

The issue of monuments, memorials and exhibits has been simmering on the back burner for a while.
The heat got turned up more than a little bit by the weekend's actions. The attention the hate groups/extremists brought was like pouring gasoline on the fire.
Is that what they wanted? An escalation? Or is that going to blow up on them? Look for more organizations to be officially labeled hate groups by the Feds and states. And look for a limit on permits to gather based on that designation. Some lawyers will stay even busier.

Meanwhile, communities will continue to grapple with their history vs. their present.
Right up the highway is Lexington, VA. 7,000+ citizens.
A historic downtown cemetery with lots of confederate graves and memorials.
Home of VMI. The VMI that cadets marched from to join the Confederate Army at the battle of New Market.
Also home to Washington & Lee. Both schools have moved all their displays into private museum space.
You can hide the stuffed Traveler behind closed doors, but Lee is on thousands of diplomas. How many more?
It's a gut wrenching basket of decisions for the schools, the alumni, the town and the state.

Travel up and down Memorial Ave. in Richmond. The Capitol of the Confederacy. From 1890 t0 1929 statues were dedicated to Lee, Stuart, Jackson, Davis, and Maury. Grand statues on a grand street, all facing downtown.
Aurther Ashe was added later, during round one of the furor in 1996. It is the smallest, the furthermost from downtown and he faces away from downtown.
Do all but Ashe head to the grounds of the White House of The Confederacy downtown as more museum pieces?
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dougfish

And then there is the patriot label. The Lee family of Westmoreland Co. No truer patriots served our nation. Did R. E. end that line?  Quite the debate.Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Greensboro

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Last stand... before Johnson surrendered ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Big J

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 15, 2017, 14:54:38 PM
Stone Mountain Status -- State Owned

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/08/15/abrams-calls-for-removal-of-confederate-faces-off-stone-mountain/

State owns the land, but it has a long term lease to a private company. In legal terms, privately owned until that contract expires or is broken.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?