News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Confederate Memorials stay or go?

Keep them.
18 (69.2%)
Good riddance
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

flatlander

Quote from: benben on December 02, 2015, 11:01:05 AM
Malcolm, I'm about to shoot you an email with a sizable list of names.  I am directly descended from 4 ancestors that I am aware of that served during the American Civil War.  I also have located 10 other uncles that had served, many of them killed during the war.  Any additional info you can find on these would be awesome!

I also can trace lineage back to veterans of the War of 1812 and the Revolutionary War.  Final tidbit, I have a many times great grandfather that was hung for being a loyalist in 1779 in South Carolina.  It's interesting the information you can find when tracing your roots.

Found quite a few of them.  Hopefully something you didn't already know.  Check your email. 

Dougfish

I did some genealogy work a few years ago. Eye opening stuff.
I found one great-great grandfather from Nelson Co. that served with Jackson before being wounded. He survived to 97 years old.
He's the crusty bastard on my avatar. Later pic:

Then I found two many times great-grandfathers who served in the Revolutionary War.
Different armies, but they seemingly crossed paths many times.
Both ended up at Yorktown, one after marching down from western MD, one via a prisoner exchange before the battle. Both survived the war. Strange circumstances. Even found one of their graves:

flatlander

Where are your Hights from? 

EDIT:  I think you are a cousin, Doug.

Al

My great, great uncle Walter Kittredge made himself famous by writing the song "Tenting Tonight on the Old Camp Ground"  - lots of Utube versions of it. Think I may have posted one in the past - here is different version which rolls through a lot of original photos of the Civil War - look closely and you may find one of your ancestors.

Dougfish

Quote from: Flatlander on December 02, 2015, 12:57:14 PM
Where are your Hights from?

Germans. To Philly (I think) in late 1600's. PA, western MD, then Nelson Co., VA about 250 years ago.
Name started as Hecht, ended up as Hite about 125 years ago.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Flatlander on December 02, 2015, 11:03:50 AM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on December 02, 2015, 10:59:03 AM
John Green, Confederate, Haywood County, NC, 29th NC Infantry I believe-his unit was known as the Haywood Fire Shooters..

John Green
Residence Haywood County NC; 40 years old.
Enlisted on 4/6/1863 at Haywood County, NC as a Private.
On 4/6/1863 he mustered into "E" Co. NC 29th Infantry
He died POW on 7/19/1863 at Yazoo City, MS

He was listed as:
* POW 7/13/1863 Yazoo City, MS

Thank you, Flatlander!
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Yallerhammer

Quote from: benben on December 02, 2015, 11:01:05 AM
Malcolm, I'm about to shoot you an email with a sizable list of names.  I am directly descended from 4 ancestors that I am aware of that served during the American Civil War.  I also have located 10 other uncles that had served, many of them killed during the war.  Any additional info you can find on these would be awesome!

I also can trace lineage back to veterans of the War of 1812 and the Revolutionary War.  Final tidbit, I have a many times great grandfather that was hung for being a loyalist in 1779 in South Carolina.  It's interesting the information you can find when tracing your roots.

I recently found that an ancestor of mine, Captain Robert Messer, was involved as a leader of the Regulators at the Battle of Alamance in 1771; which was considered to be one of the catalysts of the American Revolution. He was convicted of treason against the Crown, and sentenced to be hung, drawn, and quartered by Governor William Tryon. He was was executed in Hillsborough.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

cool ancestry research, my folks were fighting the Mongols, Cossacks, Russians, I'm first generation American on my mom's side and second on my fathers.

Here is a story that popped up on facespasm 

QuoteOn Wednesday, October 14, 2015 the Cultural Resource Management and Protection Branch (CRMPB) received a call from Mohamed Kadasi, an engineer with the Fairfax County Utilities Design and Construction Division (UDCD). Kadasi thought that excavations for a shoulder and sidewalk improvement project near the City of Fairfax might have unearthed a historic resource. Backhoe trench excavations had struck an old, buried macadam surface. When that was lifted it exposed a cedar log road. Ken Atkins, senior inspector with UDCD, had the construction team very carefully remove the macadam so as not to disturb the logs. Inspector Atkins is very interested in history and wanted to make sure that the past was not lost. His fast action and the care taken to not impact the logs were absolutely invaluable in understanding an important part of Fairfax County history.

http://ourstoriesandperspectives.com/2015/11/27/heritage-preservation-its-all-about-teamwork/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Just up the road a bit across the state line there is the old J.E.B. Stuart homestead, Laurel Hill, a 1500 acre tract on the Ararat River.

"I would give anything to make a pilgrimage to the old place, and when the war is over quietly spend the rest of my days there." - J.E.B. Stuart

William Letcher the great-grandfather of J.E.B. Stuart.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Al

Very nice history review by Woolly below  'c; 'c; 'c;

If you are thinking about visiting New Orleans as a two-fer this year, ie gals giving you a peek at their breasts for a handful of fake jewelry and a tour of the historical confederate sites you better do it this year or you'll have to be content with just a peek at titties.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LA_CONFEDERATE_SYMBOLS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-12-16-15-40-46

Al

Quote from: Al on December 17, 2015, 08:50:57 AM
Very nice history review by Woolly below  'c; 'c; 'c;

If you are thinking about visiting New Orleans as a two-fer this year, ie gals giving you a peek at their breasts for a handful of fake jewelry and a tour of the historical confederate sites you better do it this year or you'll have to be content with just a peek at titties.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LA_CONFEDERATE_SYMBOLS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-12-16-15-40-46

Here is update - done deal!

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/12/confederate_monuments_lee_circ.html

In the meantime back in Virginia 

http://www.roanoke.com/news/local/sen-carrico-files-bill-to-allow-confederate-flag-on-license/article_86e54ebe-22ba-5634-9c69-76714f91fd55.html

Al

Quote from: troutfanatic on December 17, 2015, 18:42:50 PM
We knew this was coming Al. It is a Pyrrhic victory. It doesn't mean the events never happened. Wait till Fort Bragg is renamed Fort Obama.

Naaaaa, they will leave Bragg alone. From what I have read he was a very timid General who missed many opportunities. Much like our current Commander In Chief.

Woolly Bugger

QuoteDespite her vote to remove the monuments, Councilwoman LaToya Cantrell said she was offended that the proposal came from the mayor's office rather than including the council from the beginning.

She also asked to know who would pay for the monuments' removal.

"I have to be honest with you, when this process stated, when it began with a man ... when it began with a man of privilege coming out saying, apologizing for slavery and seconds later making it public that he was going to come to this body for the removal of four monuments selected by him, I felt disrespected by that," she said.

WTF??
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The war ain't over yet!

(AP) - The latest developments from a New Orleans City Council meeting and vote Thursday to remove prominent Confederate monuments (all times local):
8 p.m.
Four organizations whose goals are to protect and preserve New Orleans' historic landscape have filed a federal lawsuit to halt efforts to remove four prominent Confederate monuments.
The Louisiana Landmarks Society, Foundation for Historical Louisiana, Monumental Task Committee and Beauregard Camp No. 130 on Thursday challenged the City Council's vote to remove the structures and Mayor Mitch Landrieu's approval of the ordinance.
The mayor says it will cost about $170,000 to remove the monuments, including statues of Confederate Gens. P.G.T. Beauregard and Robert E. Lee, Confederate President Jefferson Davis and an 1891 obelisk honoring the Crescent City White League, which challenged Louisiana's biracial government after the Civil War.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?