Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtnGrouseHtr and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Should Confederate Memorials stay or go?

Keep them.
18 (69.2%)
Good riddance
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Dylar on November 25, 2015, 13:37:57 PM
It would probably be most accurate to say that slavery and the election of Lincoln were the proximate impetus for secession and war. That said, I'd argue that the causes of the war ran much deeper.  The fundamental question was whether America would remain as it had been—an isolationist agrarian federal republic where local and sectional particularism acted as a brake on the power of the national government—or whether it would become, as the leading European powers (Britain, France and Prussia) had already become, an industrial capitalist society dominated wholly by the national government, and a player on the world stage.  In that sense slavery functioned more as the excuse for war than its cause.

Yes, that was what I was saying. Agreed 100%.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on November 25, 2015, 13:35:30 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on November 25, 2015, 11:55:12 AM
But, if you aren't from here, you will never understand it, you can't understand it, you have no desire to understand it, and that's ok, too, because little of it is proper or honorable

Fixed

In America, yankee liberals are entitled to their opinions, too. The same ones that are supportive of our very similar former rebellion against Great Britain. I have absolutely no desire to understand many things y'all espouse and love, either.

Yallerhammer

I wonder how many of the same folks who oppose a Confederate flag over a public memorial for people who died under it would be as opposed to a Union Jack flying over a public memorial to British soldiers killed in the Revolution?

And why is slavery a black issue to begin with? Scads of folks of all races have been held as slaves historically, and to this day for that matter. And what about the rich free blacks who owned slaves themselves? Or the black slaveholders in Africa that sold their own slaves to slave traders for profit? Or the fact that the same folks who hate southerners love the cultures who still practice slavery in modern times, i.e., Islamic and African states? Where was the last legal slavery in the world (long after the American Civil War?) And who was involved in it?

Yallerhammer

Quote from: troutfanatic on November 25, 2015, 13:47:33 PM
I missed your pre-edit comment taller but I get the gist from the village idiot's "fix".

True, I'm not from here and I am unfuckingapologetic about that, but I'm not the one criticizing your post.

The south gone Marxist breh.

I am Yankee. I damn sure ain't a leftist. I would add that Al is my fellow Yankee and far from lefty loon.

Mudders lives in the commonwealth of VAgina and werks at a university, how would he think otherwise?

Birthplace does not a  yankee make, and my comments were not directed at y'all.

Yallerhammer

Well said. I am just opposed to re-writing of history because it offends some folks.

Al

I've read a lot of personal memoirs of both the Union and Confederate generals. (Currently reading U.S. Grant. Just finished Bradford Forest). From what I gather it was the enlisted men who loved Robert E. Lee - His subordinate generals not so much. They thought he often let his ego get in the way of sound judgement.

Woolly Bugger

Woolly' civil war trail continues with a stop in Thomasville

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

1st Lieutenant
14th Regiment Co B
"Thomasville Rifles"

No stars and bars flying today on this flagpole

The casualties of the hospital were buried indiscriminate of rank, state, or allegiance. This was done most likely out of convenience instead of an overt gesture of re-unification as it may be interpreted. Despite the motivation of the volunteer undertakers, it created a unique situation; whereas local officials claim that the small plot could be the only location in southeastern United States where both Union and Confederate soldiers were buried in a common plot between 1861-1865.

The North Carolina Railroad provided a major carrier for Confederate forces. During the early months of the war, eager volunteers from Georgia, Alabama, and the counties of western North Carolina passed through Thomasville on their ways to camps or battlefields in Virginia and the Tidewater region of the state. An officer from nearby Camp Fisher described a typical scene: "It is a great sight to see those [Regiments] pass, our men are formed in lines 8 steps of the Road when they pass. In passing they wave their hats and cry "Victory or Death from Georgia!" but are going to defend our native states. Most of our men shed tears at such scenes."1 It was the same railroad that took the Thomasville Rifles into the Civil War, as countless other companies. In addition, the Corps of Lieutenant James Longstreet used the same railroad on its return to the Army of Northern Virginia after a sojourn with the beleaguered Confederate Armies of the West in 1863. The last days of the Confederate Army saw heavy use along the railroad, as Southern officials utilized the tracks as interior lines to meet the possible advances of Union Generals Stoneman and Sherman. Confederate General Pierre G. T. Beauregard, the hero of Fort Sumter, would depend on the railroad to allocate troops throughout the North Carolina piedmont.

And here is a train, cause I like 'em
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Aka

Quote from: troutfanatic on November 25, 2015, 14:23:17 PM
'c;

That's hard to beat. I expect future replies to be something about memorialized treason or humor or an animated GIF or maybe the old reliable:

Dey terk ar jerbs

Brian, I know it may not be enough but can you give us your feelings on this in 168 paragraphs or less?

:D

5xTippett

Yallarhammer gets the history of the causes right.  I might add that before the war the south paid the majority of the taxes with the majority being spent up North.  The North couldn't afford for the South to leave.   

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Al

Don't say this very often :o but ditto what Muddy just said.

flatlander

I've been doing a little reading about the Civil War, which made me curious about who in my family might have been "traitors" as G likes to say.  So I found an online database that let's you search military records.  $10 bucks for 7 days of access.  My mother's side of the family has unique surnames, so finding that bunch was easy.  Paternal grandmother's side from Virginia has pretty common surnames, so it's difficult to tell who is who.  Anyway, you punch in last and first names, Confederate or Union Army, and the state they served and if you get lucky, you get his war record.

Anybody got an ancestor they want to look up while I still have access to this database?  If your last name is Smith or Jones...forget about it.  I need the first and last names, Army served, State served, county they were from, unit or regiment if you know it.

Yallerhammer

John Green, Confederate, Haywood County, NC, 29th NC Infantry I believe-his unit was known as the Haywood Fire Shooters..

benben reincarnated

Malcolm, I'm about to shoot you an email with a sizable list of names.  I am directly descended from 4 ancestors that I am aware of that served during the American Civil War.  I also have located 10 other uncles that had served, many of them killed during the war.  Any additional info you can find on these would be awesome!

I also can trace lineage back to veterans of the War of 1812 and the Revolutionary War.  Final tidbit, I have a many times great grandfather that was hung for being a loyalist in 1779 in South Carolina.  It's interesting the information you can find when tracing your roots.

flatlander

Quote from: Yallerhammer on December 02, 2015, 10:59:03 AM
John Green, Confederate, Haywood County, NC, 29th NC Infantry I believe-his unit was known as the Haywood Fire Shooters..

John Green
Residence Haywood County NC; 40 years old.
Enlisted on 4/6/1863 at Haywood County, NC as a Private.
On 4/6/1863 he mustered into "E" Co. NC 29th Infantry
He died POW on 7/19/1863 at Yazoo City, MS

He was listed as:
* POW 7/13/1863 Yazoo City, MS