News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Confederate Memorials stay or go?

Keep them.
18 (69.2%)
Good riddance
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Shane

Probably should have left all of those Saddam Hussein statues up.

Michael Toris

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 15, 2015, 15:07:26 PM
One could draw parallels between all this and the Taliban and ISIS destroying historic religious and artistic works that don't fit into their narrow worldview.  I've found that often, those with the highest number of "Tolerance" and "Coexist" and "All One" stickers on their cars are actually the most narrow-minded and the least likely to tolerate any opinion that disagrees with their own, and the least willing to actually coexist with others who don't share their views of how things should work.

Yes, one could draw such a parallel, if one had the vision of a banana slug.

I have uncovered different results in my study of bumper stickers, which makes me question your methodology.   I have found those with NRA, Obama Sucks, The South Will Rise Again, and Trump 2016 stickers to be "the most narrow-minded and the least likely to tolerate any opinion that disagrees with their own, and the least willing".  Admittedly my sample size is rather small; it only included my friends, those that I actually know.  The comparison of those with the greatest number of "Tolerance" and "Coexist" and "All One" stickers, again people that I actually know, was interesting.  This small group was naturally high or legitimately stoned on life and didn't really give a rat's ass.  In fact when I disguised myself as someone who I thought would be their adversary I was greeted with treats (strange baked goods, fresh cut flowers, friendly dogs, etc.) and an invitation to commune in their environ.   

I think your statement might be the most vacuous bullshit I have ever seen on this forum, unless you're tricking us to expose our inner most bullshit, and in that case, I salute you.  I have recorded the response of your followers for another study I am conducting.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

5xTippett

I agree with pretty much every thing Yallerhammer said.  As far as I am concerned if Mudwall disagrees with him it's proof he is correct.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: 5xTippett on July 17, 2015, 09:43:33 AM
I agree with pretty much every thing Yallerhammer said.  As far as I am concerned if Mudwall disagrees with him it's proof he is correct.

Ben, I didn't know you wanted to play.  If you would like to be part of my study, complete the following tests and send them to me.  I assure you all names will be kept confidential. 

http://www.allthetests.com/quiz21/quiz/1159917590/The-Redneck-Test

http://www.quibblo.com/quiz/34t0lr/Are-You-A-Racist
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dee-Vo

Cool, I'm supposedly a blue blood. The second test would never let me pass the advertisement video.

5xTippett

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on July 17, 2015, 09:18:17 AM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 15, 2015, 15:07:26 PM
One could draw parallels between all this and the Taliban and ISIS destroying historic religious and artistic works that don't fit into their narrow worldview.  I've found that often, those with the highest number of "Tolerance" and "Coexist" and "All One" stickers on their cars are actually the most narrow-minded and the least likely to tolerate any opinion that disagrees with their own, and the least willing to actually coexist with others who don't share their views of how things should work.

Yes, one could draw such a parallel, if one had the vision of a banana slug.

I have uncovered different results in my study of bumper stickers, which makes me question your methodology.   I have found those with NRA, Obama Sucks, The South Will Rise Again, and Trump 2016 stickers to be "the most narrow-minded and the least likely to tolerate any opinion that disagrees with their own, and the least willing".  Admittedly my sample size is rather small; it only included my friends, those that I actually know.  The comparison of those with the greatest number of "Tolerance" and "Coexist" and "All One" stickers, again people that I actually know, was interesting.  This small group was naturally high or legitimately stoned on life and didn't really give a rat's ass.  In fact when I disguised myself as someone who I thought would be their adversary I was greeted with treats (strange baked goods, fresh cut flowers, friendly dogs, etc.) and an invitation to commune in their environ.   

I think your statement might be the most vacuous bullshit I have ever seen on this forum, unless you're tricking us to expose our inner most bullshit, and in that case, I salute you.  I have recorded the response of your followers for another study I am conducting.

Whatevers. Just more stereotyping of rednecks, which the liberal crowd is really good at, even though they say stereotyping is wrong. Just basing my opinions on growing up amongst people with NRA and the South Will Rise Again bumper stickers, and working for twenty years amongst hundreds transplanted co-exist yuppies in Assville. In general, if a redneck disagrees with you, he will disagree with you, but doesn't want to change the way you live. The liberals want to regulate how everybody lives and speaks, you will assimilate. A gay couple r a liberal family in a redneck neighborhood is tolerated much more than I would be skinning a deer hung from a tree in a yuppie-nest subdivision.  ;D

Most "rednecks" don't agree with flying rainbow flags, but they don't waste their time trying to get rid of all of them like the other side is doing with the Confederate flags. I have several ancestors with that flag on their tombstone who died under it, and weren't slaveowners or racists. They were just attempting to hold back an invasion of their homeland by someone with no tolerance. Unless you were born here and have ancestors who died under the stars and bars, you will never understand, and there is no point trying to make you. Your mind is made up and closed.

There are some really narrow-minded people at both ends of the spectrum, but thankfully, most of us are somewhere in the middle of the mess. I'll trout fish with a flaming liberal any day as long as he buys the beer and takes his vehicle.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dee-Vo

According to Mudwall's second test link, I'm "kinda racist".

driver

Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 17, 2015, 15:27:24 PM
In general, if a redneck disagrees with you, he will disagree with you, but doesn't want to change the way you live. The liberals want to regulate how everybody lives and speaks, you will assimilate.

It's because rednecks are doing it wrong.. I just want rednecks to recycle and stop leaving their beer and worm cans on the side of the stream.

Onslow

Class prejudice cuts both ways, and imo, is much more common than racial bias.  Obesity and redneck/ghetto dialects will obviously bring on the ice.

My wife once asked a classroom full of minorities what was their mental archetype of one ideal person.  This group consisted of both blacks and Hispanics.

Answer.  White male in mid thirties that is well educated, wears slacks and oxford shirt, not polo, and wears deck shoes.  No tattoos, piercings, beard, and hair must be clean cut.  Also, the wife must be very attractive with long hair.  So this is the deal folks, many blacks and hispanics give up on many dreams before leaving the gate because they feel unwanted, physically unattractive in the presence of whites.  This cuts really deep, especially for black females.  I was once physically assaulted by a black girl who was trying her best to get my attention.  I ignored her and things didn't go well for me.

The fact is, some Americans entered into professional and sexual relations with blacks during the slave era, and now the repeat button was pushed in the 60s and after and now many employ illegals.  We should have thought about the consequences of entering into relationships with people we care nothing about.  This is as stupid as entering into holy matrimony with a contemptuous relationship.  So now the consequences must be dealt with.  As always, the few screw things up for the many.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

OldDominionAngler

Our town is no stranger to this debate. My high school's mascot, the Raiders, was named after Mosby's raiders.  His uniform on our school logo changed from gray to blue a long time ago.

And a confederate statue stands over the town courtyard.  The NAACP has protested to take it down for years.  I think the protesters have more or less given up trying to have it removed, but last weekend they suggested a pretty agreeable solution IMO: leave the confederate statue but also put up a statue of the slaves who fought in the Civil War.  Now that is a good idea. 

The Dude

Prince Edward county in VA has a pretty tainted history when it comes to race and public school system........
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.