Climate Change --- Not a good time to be a polar bear!

Started by Woolly Bugger, October 02, 2007, 08:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

The Arctic ice cap shrank so much this summer that waves briefly lapped along two long-imagined Arctic shipping routes, the Northwest Passage over Canada and the Northern Sea Route over Russia.

Over all, the floating ice dwindled to an extent unparalleled in a century or more, by several estimates.

Now the six-month dark season has returned to the North Pole. In the deepening chill, new ice is already spreading over vast stretches of the Arctic Ocean. Astonished by the summer's changes, scientists are studying the forces that exposed one million square miles of open water — six Californias — beyond the average since satellites started measurements in 1979.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/02/science/earth/02arct.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flyinhigh

Don't worry about the bears too much. They've made it through much worse warming cycles in the past.

jscagline

....who is going to take care of the bears when we're gone? ??? 

That's it!  As of now, I REFUSE TO DIE! 

I think all responsible environmentalist should do the same as a selfless act of kindness to the bears.  If we refuse to die, we can properly manage the environment since mother nature doesn't know what the fuck to do about it!

Lets wrench the environmental control of this planet from mother nature and set things to rights!

Who's with me? 
The truth hurts but not as much as a gas guzzling, eco wrecking SUV hitting you at 100 MPH!  Yeah baby, yeah!

Psycho_Fisher

agreed!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Tight Lines & Put-Em-Back!

Chappy

Grace and blessings,
Dave
"Moladh duit, a Dhia!"

flatlander

It makes you wonder how polar bears survived the last warming trend, when mean temperatures were estimated to be 2.5 - 7 degrees C warmer than present.  I sure hope they hang on.

lepomis_mcro

if all the animals on the planet were to die, so too would humans... but if all the humans were to die, the animals would do just fine.

you ever wonder if we are somekind of virus... if a host dies so to does the virus, but if the virus dies the host does just fine. :)

(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

jscagline

Quote from: lepomis_mcro on October 04, 2007, 18:44:30 PM
if all the animals on the planet were to die, so too would humans... but if all the humans were to die, the animals would do just fine.......

.....sorry dude, gotta play the "bullshit" card!  If that were the case, how do the true vegiterians stay alive if they arn't eating meat?

..."you ever wonder if we are somekind of virus... "

you are kidding......right?
The truth hurts but not as much as a gas guzzling, eco wrecking SUV hitting you at 100 MPH!  Yeah baby, yeah!

peter p

Actually, from what I have been reading lately, it doesn't need to be all the animals, just the bees.  No bees = limited to no pollination = no food of any sort.  I know that is a doom and gloom scenario, but think about it for a moment.   
Peter

lepomis_mcro

Quote from: jscagline on October 04, 2007, 20:15:38 PM
if all the animals on the planet were to die, so too would humans... but if all the humans were to die, the animals would do just fine.......

.....sorry dude, gotta play the "bullshit" card!  If that were the case, how do the true vegiterians stay alive if they arn't eating meat?

i said nothing about eating meat  Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
.. just like what peter said. no bees no pollination.
you need them, more than they need you....and thats no bullshit.
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

jscagline

Quote from: lepomis_mcro on October 05, 2007, 20:15:54 PM

i said nothing about eating meat  Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

...but you did not say bees, Peter did.  You said animals, thats a pretty broad, undefining term.  You should have been more specific.  Yes, Peter is correct in that bees are extremely important because of the function they perform, pollination.

...just my nonvirulent opinion is all.....

calebB

Eh, the polar bears will make it.  Fluctuations will and have happened with global temperatures in the past.

Peter, I have heard the same about the bees.  But then just so happens a guy in our church works for the USDA and his lab is one that is doing co-research along with some universities on BCCD (bee colony collapse disorder), and he says that even if honey bees did die of that other insects would take their place like moths and other bees(bumble bees).  What is even more interesting is that bees are not even native to the US!  The colonists brought them over here.

lepomis_mcro

Quote from: jscagline on October 05, 2007, 21:54:50 PM
Quote from: lepomis_mcro on October 05, 2007, 20:15:54 PM

...but you did not say bees, Peter did.  You said animals, thats a pretty broad, undefining term.  You should have been more specific.  Yes, Peter is correct in that bees are extremely important because of the function they perform, pollination.

...just my nonvirulent opinion is all.....

my mistake. i thought i was being specific when i said all the animals. i ment everything not part of the human race. you know cats, dogs, bees, moths, fish, bears, cockroach, birds, rabbits. ect, ect, ect,... if you woke up tomorrow and the were all gone. how long do you think we would survive.

now im not saying they are going to disapear over night. im just asking to think about what it would be like if they did.
at this moment i think we have alot in common with the frog that you put into a cold pot of water and slowly heat. he will sit there untill he diesGuests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
. where as you take a frog and drop it straight into the hot water he will try to get out.

im sorry if you didnt comprehend that.

jscagline

[quote ......im sorry if you didnt comprehend that.
[/quote]

I can see you are going to be one of those liberal ass hats that resort to being catty because you have no clue as to real content and substance in a nonbiased conversation.  You'll continue to bash or try to belittle because you were never taught to converse in an adult manner.

So now I am done with you....good day!

Fire-Fly

I dont know about ya'll but i hope the cows dont die, cause i love a good steak, well a few cows have to die, you know for me to have my steak, but not the whole population, oh yeah and the potato's, i hope they dont dissapear cause you've got to have a potato with your steak. Can you believe my wife says all i think about is myself, she's crazy, here i am thinking about the environment and cows and stuff. I bet polar bears would like steak. I THINK I'LL COOK A STEAK TONIGHT! Thank you lord for the cows.