News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

GSMNP Hemlock update from NPR

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 12, 2016, 11:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Michael Toris

Edited

See below; maybe not so terrible after all. The jury is still out

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Etymologists and scientists tested the predator beetles with other native species to see if there would be other effects, but it's impossible to know in a short time-frame. There are many examples of humans introducing one new species to curb the growth of another and it going wrong."

If "etymologists" are testing the beetle then I would be worried.

Jokes aside, Classic Biocontrol is not necessarily a bad idea.  Sure there are examples of bugs-gone-bad, like the Asian ladybeetle, but that was many moons ago and now the quarantine requirements and research protocols before any release of a biocontrol agent are most stringent.  There still could be mishaps, but we as a society have to decide, chemical pesticides or new critter that we may never know is there and could balance an invasive prey.   

Examples of biocontrol insects that have themselves gone out of control are relatively few.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Michael Toris

So to fight an invasive, we introduce another invasive?  I would like to read about these introduced species to control others which have not caused problems. Not trying to be a dick, actually curious

Michael Toris

I've done some light reading;

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bugwood.org/arthropod2005/vol2/13c.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiUhoOj9qPNAhUIJFIKHdHvAWoQFghNMAY&usg=AFQjCNE31wGEc2qqpKU06h1eoMnlRWceUQ&sig2=gFmz7QnwBVshJYzitxZfNw

This is of interest.

Muddy, this is a VA Tech paper; you work on this project?

I have to be honest, the only stories I have read about was biocontrol failures. I also was taught from a very rigid anti-introduction stance. After what I have read, I am open to hear more about this and any works you recommend.

Michael Toris

I may be swaying on this.....

Quite a bit of interesting research out there

Michael Toris

Interesting

L. nigrinus larvae must have HWA to be successful. Wow.

Yallerhammer

I think anything they can do without serious risk needs to be done. It's really sad seeing all the hemlocks dying, it's changed the whole character of the Smokies. I've spent a good bit of time doing trunk injections of Imidacloprid to save a few hemlocks, but that's some nasty shit to handle.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I have no great appreciation for any introduced species and certainly no admiration for any introduced that has elevated to invasive status.  Like others I do enjoy the occasional Smith or SOHO brown and recently the ugly-assed carp, all introduced.  If granted a wish, I would return all the watersheds to pre-whitey times, no dams and no aliens.

Chemicals worry me more than critters. 

Interesting article --- pesticides in the pollen collected by a species introduced to the U.S. 

http://www.honeycolony.com/article/honeybee-pollen-contaminated-cocktail-pesticides/

Perhaps we've gone too far. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Michael Toris

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 13, 2016, 11:04:01 AM
  If granted a wish, I would return all the watersheds to pre-whitey times, no dams and no aliens.

Now we're talking

Yallerhammer

It would have been something to see, wouldn't it?
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Michael Toris

Onslow

Would love to see a mature American Chestnut in bloom, and listen to the buzzing sounds of pollinators. Chestnuts bloomed after poplar, and before sourwood.  Now there is a gap due to its absence.

An Amercian Chestnut thread would interest me.  The most awesome tree in North America, imo.

Dougfish

X2, Ken.
Having a grandfather who logged them with draft horses back in the day, and seeing old evidence in the hills gives me the shivers.
What a tree.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

Speaking of 'merican chestnut.
Found one trying to regrow this weekend.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk