News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

1st broken rod of the year

Started by Transylwader, January 26, 2012, 10:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Transylwader

Just happens that I work in the development/engineering industry. We talking BMP's, storm water ponds, level spreaders and of course lakes/ponds for aesthetics. It so happens that the hatchery in Zebulon stocked a new community's pond with some hawg catfish. It so happens that I have the helios at my side 24/7. I was in a brief meeting and decided to burn some time. A large wake at the culvert caught my attention. There is was, all 25+ inches of channel cat. A quick toss of the ugly arse streamer and a solid eat. Line started pissing off the spool, lift to set the hook.  :o Ouch b'; Well, she got broken in three places(pix to follow) I never landed the bastard either. I shed a tear, took her remians and placed it in the tube.1st breakage of the year.
Send your condolences. This is officially the last Orvis rod I intend to have in my quiver of 11.
Fuck b';

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Holmes

Alllrighhhttt.. Now it's time to get you a real blue lining rod. Fiberglass is what you need... -0-

Al

It is obvious you do not know how to fish for catfish with a flyrod. :o  We have novices catch them all the time with 5wt rods at the Pechmann Center. Need to go to a heavier tippet and don't let them try to lift the fish - be sure you use a net to land them - other then that no problem.

Sounds to me like your rod had been dinged by a beadhead or something else and was just waiting for the right time, right flex, to break.

Transylwader

Quote from: Al on January 26, 2012, 13:37:10 PM
It is obvious you do not know how to fish for catfish with a flyrod. :o
Aw come on Al! It was a tiny 6'2wt. I shoulda known better, but I really started to resent it coz it i a mini salt water rod. Stiff as all heck, oh well, at least I have kept up the tradition of breaking at least one rod over the past 7 years... -p-

Al

Quote from: Transylwader on January 26, 2012, 14:15:04 PM
Quote from: Al on January 26, 2012, 13:37:10 PM
It is obvious you do not know how to fish for catfish with a flyrod. :o
Aw come on Al! It was a tiny 6'2wt. I shoulda known better, but I really started to resent it coz it i a mini salt water rod. Stiff as all heck, oh well, at least I have kept up the tradition of breaking at least one rod over the past 7 years... -p-

A 6 ft, 2 wt!  :o  Ya, I can see where it might have got broken.  I caught about 30 fat rainbows today at PC  that would have broken it if you were not real careful. Boy, we have some nice fish this year.  Best I have seen in 9 years of doing this and they are starting to bite real well.  (Ponds are also getting some moss so that is not good b';)

FoulHook

Throw that thing away. Get a 3wt with a little backbone.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

Transylwader

'ave a laugh, at least I didn't fall on top of it with my lard arse...
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I have a feeling this is the beer that is served in hell, I am ready to go V:;

Fokken gereed! Kry 'n paar naaiers -0-

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Transylwader on January 28, 2012, 21:06:39 PM
'ave a laugh, at least I didn't fall fell on top of it with my lard arse...

fixed, the truth comes out.

overbrook

Quote from: Transylwader on January 28, 2012, 21:06:39 PM
I have a feeling this is the beer that is served in hell, I am ready to go V:;

And I did'nt think it could get any worse than this....

When we were kids, we would help my old man around the farm....back then kids actually worked. My old man would put a six pack in the stream, and after working half the day, we would go pull a cold one out and take a break....the only problem was my old man is a freakin miser and would buy whatever was on sale....when he gave us this shit we revolted....I swear it tasted like donkey piss warmed over a fire.    Some others that come to mind are "falls city", "black label"  and "red,white and blue" .  There should be a "don't drink this shit" thread.

tomato can

Ha one of them morning shows rated Name Tag beer one of the best lagers out there.  Right behind Coors.  They were raving about "its apricot notes"

I have no idea but it was pretty funny.  A bunch of talking heads raving about cheap lager. 

Woolly Bugger

for someone who touts the virtue of Cold MOuntain, how can you stoop so low as to drink Name Tag Swill?

Is this a Trader Joe's special?
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Transylwader

Tis indeed.until the genius are highland brews up more cm, I'm relegated to the ranks of sub mediocrity >:D

Holmes

Shitty fly rod, shitty beer, tranny be movin on up

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Transylwader on January 29, 2012, 16:12:42 PM
Tis indeed.until the genius are highland brews up more cm, I'm relegated to the ranks of sub mediocrity >:D

try some Deadeye Jack from Lonerider
http://www.loneriderbeer.com/
me -There's a season?