Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Confederate Memorials stay or go?

Keep them.
18 (69.2%)
Good riddance
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

themidge

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on July 08, 2015, 11:51:48 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 08, 2015, 11:22:26 AM
How in the world did you not notice the Lee and Jackson monuments? They are huge!

Easy, you put a young hayseed male of drinking age (18 at the time) in the hedonistic fan-region of Richmond and expect him to notice some damned statue?

My first trip to the local laundromat set the tone for my stay in Richmond.  This young gal came in wearing short cutoffs and some sort of midriff-revealing top.  The first thing I noticed was her long beautiful legs AND the distance between those legs at their point of attachment.  I remembered what that Hokie professor had told us about how to measure the 'lay potential' of a gal; you look for the gap distance (please note, this was the 70s).    She caught my ogling, and we conversed.  After introductory pleasantries she flat out asked why I had been scrutinizing her, and I flat out told her about what I had learned in class at VT, after all it was biology.  She was touched, impressed, and obviously flattered.  That was the beginning of the Richmond chapter of my life, and likely the primary reason I did not see any monuments or statues. 

The other reason probably has to do with my wiring.  I cannot multitask.   Driving or walking a street means driving or walking a street.  Monuments, memorials, statues, etc. in a historical setting when I am focused makes sense to me.  I never considered that part of Richmond as historical; I was most likely wrong, BUT I shall not return to find out!

As a fellow Hokie, I sympathize with you. I lived in the fan for 3 months before heading up north to where I am today. It was a fun place to be, but the cheap beer and gorgeous women didn't bode well with having a job and responsibilities.

The gap is in fact fun to analyze.

Big J

Dougfish

I was a rabid CW buff for many years. I slid through Richmond this week and popped a few pics.
On the E/SE side of town you can see all of the Seven Days battlefields and Cold Harbor battlefield.
Gaines Mill and Cold Harbor somewhat geographically overlap each other, just shy of two years apart.
All told they accounted for 54,000 casualties. On the final afternoon of Cold Harbor, over 8,200 men were lost in one
half hour. Cold Harbor started less than a month after the battles of The Wilderness and Spotsylvania, both killing machines.
Can you even imagine?

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Al

Quote from: troutfanatic on July 10, 2015, 16:55:31 PM

Doug that's some cool stuff. I was not a big civil war buff. The army made me one. I toured those and a lot of other battlefields via what we call a staff ride.

Back in my day we called them TEWT's Tactical Exercise Without Troops (Pronounced Tweet) - I went on a lot of them.

I'm a big fan of the Civil War, especially "Uncle Billie" aka General William Tecumseh Sherman. As posted on another thread one of my big scores in the book category was at a thrift shop where I paid $90 for a book titled "The Memoirs of William Tecumseh Sherman - written by himself"  - It was actually written in two volumes. Over 1000 pages of first hand history.

I see you can download it on Kindle now for less then a buck and Amazon sells it for about $20 for each volume.  That's OK the original was published in 1891 and mine was printed as a combination of Volume 1 & 2 and reissued by the family six months after his death in that same year. Small print and tissue thin paper but my book is in very good condition and I read every word of it.

flatlander

Al,
I'm actually going to pick a fight with you.  Had the South had the same resources as the North, Lee would have won.  Grant and Sheridan were good, but they were no match for the Army of Northern Virginia.  Just finished Bruce Catton's "A Stillness At Appomattox".  Can't wait to read his other two.

What next?  Do we dig up the Confederate dead in Arlington?

Al

No problem Flat - You are right, the South had the will to fight and the North had the industrial base. I have all of Bruce Canton's books and they are classics. In fact they got me interested in the Civil War back when I was going for my BA at University of Tampa. Back then we had to do "book reports" and I remember writing about how inept, timid and prone to missed opportunities the Northern Generals were.

It would not surprise me to see the removal of some key confederate remains and the renaming of some of our prominent landmarks - once these moments smell blood (someone else's - never their own) they go into a feeding frenzy and it takes awhile before they back down.

NCsporksman

Quote from: Flatlander on July 11, 2015, 21:09:13 PM
Al,
I'm actually going to pick a fight with you.  Had the South had the same resources as the North, Lee would have won.  Grant and Sheridan were good, but they were no match for the Army of Northern Virginia.  Just finished Bruce Catton's "A Stillness At Appomattox".  Can't wait to read his other two.

What next?  Do we dig up the Confederate dead in Arlington?
You are in for a treat.... couldn't put em Down

Woolly Bugger

DALLAS, Texas -- The word "shame" was spray painted in large white, all-capital letters across the base of a Robert E. Lee statue in Lee Park in the Oak Lawn area.

The vandalism was spotted early in the morning, hours before the Confederate flag was taken down Friday at the South Carolina Capitol.

"This criminal act creates alarm not dialogue, and the entire community is a victim because this park is a peaceful urban oasis," said Rick Ericson, a spokesman for the Lee Park & Arlington Hall Conservancy, in a statement released later in the morning. "We have begun the repairs and are installing additional security measures immediately."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/07/10/shame-robert-e-lee-statue-dallas/29972311/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Native Fisher

Quote from: Dougfish on July 12, 2015, 06:16:09 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/11/memphis-city-council-votes-to-dig-up-grave-of-confederate-general-sell-his-statue/

Wow, that is totally ridiculous.  NBF was an advanced tactical thinking officer for his time and was lucky too. I am sure his military efforts have been studied a lot over time. His personal thinking on slaves and other things are probably driving this.  You can't change history though and the modern era shouldn't mess with it.  Are they going to go after Thomas Jefferson next for keeping slaves and fathering kids with them?

Native Fisher

Knew that, was reason for the "other things" part of my comment.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

An interesting opinion article on Robert E. Lee --- was he a traitor to the flag and country he swore to defend?  And did he really believe that slavery was God's will?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/26/opinion/david-brooks-the-robert-e-lee-problem.html?WT.mc_id=2015-JULY-OUTBRAIN-SHARED_AUD_DEV-0701-0731&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=AUDDEVREMARK&_r=0
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Yallerhammer

TF, I doubt if very many slave owners were brutal to their slaves as portrayed in Hollywood a hundred and fifty years later. Disregarding the whole moral thing, slaves were very, very expensive, valuable property that most folks couldn't afford. They were necessary for the plantation owner for him to get his crops raised, harvested, and off to market so he could make money. A farmer today isn't going to go buy a $90,000 tractor, then beat and fram on it every day, he's going to take care of it and hope it lasts as long as possible.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Ralyd on July 14, 2015, 11:30:16 AM
......... his near deification in the Lost Cause mythos, all conspire to make his motives wholly obscure. 

Pickett likely would have agreed.   "General Lee, I have no division."
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon