News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Charleston report

Started by Hatch, April 15, 2008, 14:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatch

FRIDAY: Got in to town about 6:30 on Fri. and Met up with my friends for a quick bite to eat and then headed to the water. My buddy that lives down there had a bead on some nighttime trout fishing so we gave it a try. Well, we ended up landing 23 on the fly between 3 ppl. so needless to say it was a fun night. Most were small 1-2 pound fish so we rigged um a 5 wt. and took turns casting with that. Made the fight much more fun.

SATURDAY: Alarm goes off at 5:30 and we leave the house by 6:00. The wind is fairly calm 5-10 mph so nothing to bad. Get out on a flat and start working a grass line. I picked up a good size trout in the first 30 min. By 8:00 the wind is blowing a good 15-18 mph out of the east and its getting really hard to keep blind casting. We get up to a point and all of a sudden I see some glass minnows break the surface about 40 ft out. Land a fly right on top of them, twitch once, and am hooked up. The fish took two runs and had me 75 yards into the backing. Land the fish and its a 9.5 lbs on the boca grips. By this time the wind is unbearable and we decide to relocate. Fished the rest of the day on the other side of Charleston hiding from the wind, Never had any more hook ups but saw lots of fish. Tried probably 10 different flies and could not get them to eat.

SUNDAY: Wake up at 5:30 again. Go back to the same flat we started on the day before and there is almost no wind. The tide was perfect and we could see fish feeding down the grass line literally for a mile. The best part was there were no other boats. We get up on a school and I get hooked up on the third cast with a very small red. Head down a little ways and see a giant school pushing our way about 80 yards out. Stake out and start casting when they get in the 60 ft. range. A few cast and I am on the second one of the morning and it is only 7:30. This one was much bigger and really gave me a good battle. We landed that fish and headed after the same school that had gotten 100 yards past us by now. Got in front of them, made one cast, and the line goes tight. I could tell this was a good fish when he almost took me to the backing. Well, here we are 8:20 in the morning having a great day and then the wind starts to blow. Not just a few gust but really blow. So we headed to intercoatal waterway to get some protection from land. Lost two huge fish that I could not keep off pilings. Called it a day by 11:00. Packed up and headed home.

Got to give some props to by buddy Tucker for staying up on the poling platform all weekend and pushing me around in the wind and never complaining once! None of these fish would have been caught if it was not for his hard work and effort.

Fri night.

Saturdays first fish and our dinner.

Fighting the red on Sat. Notice the backing in the rod.

And the fish. Also first red with my own hand tied fly.

First fish on Sunday.

Second fight.

and fish

And the third fish

The man on the platform

troutphisher

Excellent report and pictures!

Maybe one day, I'll hit the salt, but for now it's fresh water trout.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

sweet jesus, must be nice having friends in high places!

coolest 1st post ever!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Hatch

Thanks. I just found this forum a couple of weeks ago and wanted to wait till I had something worth while to post. Myself and my fishing buddies take lots of pics while out one the water be it salt or wild trout streams so hopefully I will have quite a few post by the end of the summer. 

Tight Lines!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Hatch on April 15, 2008, 15:16:24 PM
Thanks. I just found this forum a couple of weeks ago and wanted to wait till I had something worth while to post. Myself and my fishing buddies take lots of pics while out one the water be it salt or wild trout streams so hopefully I will have quite a few post by the end of the summer. 

Tight Lines!

You might not be aware that it is customary to invite the host of the BRFFF along on trips!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

TROUTMASTER3000

And annoying teenagers....
Anything is possible with will, determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
AMERICA RULES

brownhunter

Quote from: TROUTMASTER3000 on April 15, 2008, 19:45:24 PM
And annoying teenagers....

Just ignore him, but the rest of us welcome you  0--0 I also agree, that is one heck of a first post, and excellent pictures.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

walt

great first post hatch....thx for sharin'

walt
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy