Tactics for fishing the current low water conditions?

Started by FL_Fishing_Fanatic, October 02, 2007, 08:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL_Fishing_Fanatic

I will be taking my twice a year mancation next week in the NC mnts around Brevard. Reading here on the forum I am very concerned about the low water conditions and from what I can tell, it will get no better the week I am there.

What is the best tactics for fishing very low water conditions?

Ive read here that the pools are not neccesarily the best.

Wet or dry? Any help very appreciated.

Thanks so much.

launchone

Watch football and drink beer....the fish are stressed enough

Woolly Bugger

water temps are dropping some, long leaders should help, you getting into terrestrials season too

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

gonefishin

Yes, just as Woolly said, the temps in the mountain streams are lowering with the cool nights. We have went to longer leaders and dropped down to 5x and 6x to help with the spookiness from the low clear water. The riffles are where the coolest water and highest oxygen content will be. We try to be as quick as possible about getting them in and we aren't using a net. Just a flick of the ketchum release tool to send them back on their way.

Fishing is still good and you will have a good mancation. let us know how you did when you get back.

Hope this helps

Trout Maharishi

The current drought is worst I have ever seen, and I've fished these streams all my life. Most streams have dried to a trickle. The lower temps will certainly help the fish, but the low water conditions still present many other problems. It will take several years to recover from these condition. Many of us have refrained from fishing because of the current conditions. It has also had an impact on the stocking of DH waters. Don't think that just because they say they will reduce the stocking by 50% that means every stream will get half the normal stocking. Some streams may get hardly any fish because of the conditions. This is far worse than just low water levels.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/news_stories/pg00_NewsRelease/092607_Drought_Reduces_Stocking.htm
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

I would look for tail waters in the area and stay off the freestone mountian streams.
Check around the northern counties or counties just west of Transilvaina, there are two tailwater rivers that can be fished.

If your willing to drive another two hours from Brevard you can fish some good tailwaters in TN.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

phg

I sort of agree with Phish.  I'd concentrate on the bigger streams, at least.  The Davidson seems to be OK, although very low.  The French Broad offers Smallies near Biltmore, but also has some fishing downstream from Brevard.  The Pigeon, on the other side of the mountain on 276, also carries a good bit of water.

For tailwaters, I'd strongly suggest the Tuck.  It's not really all that far from the Brevard area, maybe an hour's drive.

launchone

Sorry for the terse reply, but as you can tell the situation is not ideal for a large group of guys on a "mancation" to hit up the mountain streams when they are in the most precarious position in many years. I understand that it is a real bummer not to be able to do what you want on the one free weekend everyone can get together. But think of it as if it were a saltwater trip, where weather keeps many on the dock for their free weekends. That being said, there is the option of heading to the tailwaters, the lower watauga below Valle Crucis for smallies, or even the New. Otherwise, sitting around drinking beer and watching football seems like a pretty good way to spend the weekend, something I haven't had time to do in three weeks.

FL_Fishing_Fanatic

Thanks everyone for your replies, I greatly appreciate it. To me, a good day is 2-3 fish. While I certainly have had much better days, just the honor of being outdoors and partaking is enough, hooking some is a bonus. I catch and release nearly all the time and always try to practice a hands-off release or at least in the water but it is always good to mention this technique, thanks. This is something I have done for many years.

Traveling is no problem and I do plan to check out the Tuck though I can only take so much close quarter fishing. I also have no problem going to the Nantahalah (sp) DH which I have done many times.

Quote from: launchone on October 02, 2007, 19:12:39 PM
Sorry for the terse reply, but as you can tell the situation is not ideal for a large group of guys on a "mancation" to hit up the mountain streams when they are in the most precarious position in many years. I understand that it is a real bummer not to be able to do what you want on the one free weekend everyone can get together. But think of it as if it were a saltwater trip, where weather keeps many on the dock for their free weekends. That being said, there is the option of heading to the tailwaters, the lower watauga below Valle Crucis for smallies, or even the New. Otherwise, sitting around drinking beer and watching football seems like a pretty good way to spend the weekend, something I haven't had time to do in three weeks.

Who said anything about "a large group of guys"? Just me, alone with nature for a week. To be honest, I would rather be fly casting in a stream and catch no fish (which may be the case) than to be somewhere else slaying them, but thats just me.

I can fully understand your frustration, because of something we cant control (weather), it has put a strain on a sport we love. The (incorrect) thought of a bunch of guys stressing out several miles of stream would be frustrating to say the least. Believe me, here in FL, we have just as frustrating situations and while I do get frustrated by the large throngs of tourist fishermen, I realize that education is the best solution to ensuring a healthy, strong fish population.

.....education coming from forums like this  8)

Bloy

Quote from: FL_Fishing_Fanatic on October 03, 2007, 13:11:01 PM
Just me, alone with nature for a week. To be honest, I would rather be fly casting in a stream and catch no fish (which may be the case) than to be somewhere else slaying them, but thats just me.

Sounds like my kind of fisherman!!

Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

trouthemp

FFF,

No body is knocking you, folks just voiced their opinions. Some of us would rather stay off the streams in the current climate and condition of the streams. If the only fishing around was the mountain free stone streams, the decision to fish them might be different. But as mentioned above, there is an alternative, the tail water rivers.

The fish in these rivers are less effected by drought and low water. Some of the tail water generation has been reduced, but for the most part the fish have had it better then their counter parts in the free stone streams and rivers, the story is quite different.

It really boils down to an individual decision to fish these waters.

What ever your decision is, have fun fishing and try to impart the least stress to the fish and environment.

I'm going to hold off fishing the streams, and instead concentrate my efforts on disposing the bi-products of hemp leader manufacturing.
were just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl....year after year........

trout_boy_II

Potentially a tough call as you can see from the replies.  Tailwaters are a better solution perhaps, but there are some streams at higher elevations that, while lower than usual, are still flowing reasonably well and have many deep pools, riffles, and appear to be well O2'ed.  I realize that without the proper testing equipment, the previous statement is just a guess,but a stream I fished Tue. really did not look a whole lot different than in the past.  Water temp. at 9:00 AM was 46 deg.  This is not a true blueline and many of you probably know it, but it is not fished all that often.  Lot's of 6-8" fighters.

As for how to fish in low water, all the above plus stealth, which I don't think was mentioned.  I do not practice this enough, but I did on Tue., hiding behind boulders and trees  :o whenever possible and I was rewarded for my efforts.  I've read this over and over on this board and others and I was not at rue believer.  I am now and I will do this more in the future.

My $.02.

TB

peter p

And we are getting some much needed rain right now!!!!
Peter

Fire-Fly

FFF,
           All this is good advise, but about 3 months ago me and my grandfather were planning our umpteenth million fishing trip, he woke up the next day with a brain anurism and died a week later, if you dont get alot of time to do what you love then fish where it makes you happy, the fish have been stressed all summer use a ketchum release dont touch the fish and dont fight the fish long, you never know when your last day might be.