News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

New River- MOW area

Started by Beetle, September 22, 2008, 09:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beetle

My wife treated me to a weekend in the hills for my 40th birthday.   0--0  (I'm glad she remembered it because none of you phorkers did  ;D )

So we get up to our place around noon on Friday, unpack and proceed to head out to do some things.  As we head up a gigantic hill, the transmission falls out of my 2007 Suburban that has 22,000 miles on it.   :'( >:(

Luckily I still had 1st and 2nd so I drove it on up the hill and parked it in a convenient place.  A few hours later, Fritts hauled it back to Winston on a roll-back.  So I rent a golf cart from the "club", drive it back to the house where it promptly breaks down.   o-o

The weekend is off to a great start.

About 5 pm I finally get in the river and start whacking away with clousers, woolly buggers and a lot of meat patterns.  It was real slow but I managed to catch a few.  Throughout the weekend I saw some monsters- two that were easily over 20".  Regardless, they wouldn't eat anything and seemed perfectly happy cruising around and being the source of much frustration.  The river was slightly up but was gin clear.

I think the high pressure and nice weather really put them off.  I talked to some others who said the same thing.  Nevertheless, it was an absolutely gorgeous weekend to be in the mountains and I had a great time.  I fished all day Saturday and some Sunday morning- caught some decent ones but nothing worth a picture.  The combination of perfect weather, wildlife and a lot of PBR made for a great weekend (and 11th  wedding anniversary)!

flatlander

Happy Birthday.  Happy anniversary.  Sorry about the truck.  Sorry about the golf cart.  Sorry about the fishing.  At least you GOT TO GO FISHING o-o

Discomidge

Trout Maharishi

Beetle bug.......................................happy late birthday 0--0 I'll try and do better next year. Your wife never forgets mine, maybe I can ask her to remind me next year ;D Sorry about the ride but like my grandpa use to say, if it's got tits or tires, sooner or later it's gonna give you trouble ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Beetle

LOL  I'm used to it TM.  Your Excellency never disappoints!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Beetle on September 22, 2008, 09:45:37 AM
My wife treated me to a weekend in the hills for my 40th birthday.   0--0  (I'm glad she remembered it because none of you phorkers did  ;D )

We had a hell of a party right here for you! Strippers, Scotch and Cigars. I guess somebody forgot to tell you!

Quote from: Beetle on September 22, 2008, 09:45:37 AM
My wife treated me to a weekend in the hills for my 40th birthday.   0--0  (I'm glad she remembered it  the transmission falls out of my 2007 Suburban that has 22,000 miles on it.   :'( >:(

So I rent a golf cart from the "club", drive it back to the house where it promptly breaks down.   o-o

Ever consider it's not how many miles, but what you're hauling?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Beetle

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 22, 2008, 22:27:53 PM
Ever consider it's not how many miles, but what you're hauling?

As in you?  LOL

Apparently this is a problem in 2007's.  Some part inside the transmission broke and was "going the wrong way".  GM changed part suppliers on the 2008's and it hasn't been a problem.  We'll be back in action and burning more gas in no time.

Milo

Beetle,

Glad you got out on the water.  Happy belated birthday/anniversary.  The last two times I fished the SOHO it was smokin'.  We gotta' get out on your new toon. ;hb

Take care,
Milo