New River Report 7-15-06

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 16, 2006, 15:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minchy

What a great trip! First time out on a river with the toon and first time meeting other board members in person...but not the last!!!

Thanks to all the veterans for making a rookie feel welcome.....Steve and I both were the newbies on this one..

And, thanks to Big Daddy and Buttercup for keeping me up (not too long though)after everyone went to bed Friday night. HAHAHA!!

Minchy

Brent G

Had a great time as always, company and food was great. It was nice talkin to all ya and the night wouldn't have been quite the same without Big Daddy and Butter cup  :P

A couple of  smallies came to hand on a wiggle minnow and a few on a white popper and caught one red eye on a popper but no bass any larger then 12-13 inches. Did lose one really nice bass on a wiggle minnow after he went airborn three times ..... had forgotten how hard they fight ..... they are a blast to catch. Thanks keith for setting this trip up !!

a smallie
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Getting ready to launch

Disco and Ralph

as Ralph has said we hit a trout stream on the way back home. I was fishing a run and noticed a movement out of the corner of my eye along the bank and this guy came down along the bank to eat a bit of the green folage 

a couple of the trout that we caught

had a good urn

Brent G

Woolly Bugger

m r some nice trout you boys caught!

m smallmouth sure do fight hard. That big boy that I caught would have never been landed on 6x like a trout his size would. Glad, real glad I had 1x leader  8)

I could do that again tomorrow.... :o
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

larrybug

wow you guys sure had fun. did i metion it is still hitting a hundred in bham every afternoon. thanks for all the picts. it makes life easier to see you guys having fun

phg

I too didn't take nearly as many pictures as I had planned.  While on the river, I was too busy fishing and batteling the wind.  Here is what I have, though:

The first of several 9" smallmouth bass.  I caught 5 or 6 of these.

My best fish of the day was this 12" bass. 

Just before takeout, I tied into this one.  I think it's a longeared sunfish, but whatever it is, it was 8.5" of scrappiness.

Stone-Man

Paul
That is one helluva longear and I know it fought like hell also

Yawl had one great trip -- wish I had been there,but I worked on the new pond that hopefully will produce a 2 lb bluegill in 2008

JT

steve

Better late than never... We had a great time last weekend. It's always fun to put faces to names...Thanks to Keith for all the work to put it together.

My son Cory and I had a great fishing day Sat. He was fishing an ultralight w/ 4 lb. test and I was fishing 4 and 5 wts. White seemed to be the color of the day. He caught 'em on white curly tail grubs w/ an 1/8 oz. white jighead. Got all mine on a white bugger and big white Gurgler.Brought about 20 to the boat between us, four real nice ones !

Sunday, Cory and my wife Gaylee went the tubing route, so I broke down camp and went wading right down from the camp.  Caught four 10"ers in about three hrs. of hard wading...well worth it to me !!!

Got a couple of pics, but I can't figure out how to post them. o-o... need some help here...

Anyway, we had a very good time, can't wait for the next one.

Steve

Stuart R.

I am looking for a float on the new that is a good day trip. I want something that doesn't have alot of dead still water in it. Still water in the toon sucks. Anybody have any ideas? WHere did you guys float?

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Stuart R. on July 20, 2006, 09:38:06 AM
I am looking for a float on the new that is a good day trip. I want something that doesn't have alot of dead still water in it. Still water in the toon sucks. Anybody have any ideas? WHere did you guys float?

STU

At 1700 cfs the section we floated was rocking along.... We put in at the New River Campground on 221 (Below Independence) and floated about 6 miles downstream to the second take out on River Road. (221 S, left on Nile Rd, left on River Road.) or you can extend to the 12 mile foat and take out above the 58 Bridge. NC or VA license required.
There is a varity of water from riffles, rock gardens, flats and long runs...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Flyfisherman

Hey Stuart...

I'm planning a float next Saturday on the New River... will post more details tonight.

Anyone interested?

Thanks