News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Salty Salty

Started by Big J, July 01, 2014, 07:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Quote from: Native Fisher on July 02, 2014, 07:42:14 AM
Many people have told me they can tell the difference between the local and Gulf oysters when eating them raw. I will not eat oysters unless they are roasted. 
J,  next time get Blue crabs. They will be fresh.

I don't think I could eat raw oysters.  Have to be steamed or baked for me. 

Was supposed to get some blue crabs from their crab pots, but there were none caught this weekend.  There were a lot of crab pots in the bay though.  From talking to the people there, seems like the blue crabs have been lacking the past couple years, but this year is supposed to be good.

Quote from: Phallus in Wonderland on July 02, 2014, 07:45:29 AM
Fresh Yellowfin Tuna is food of the gods.  Striper flesh is garden fertilizer.

I'm not picky. Except when it comes to my brook trout, I only prefer NC SABT brook trout on Ben's favorite streams.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Big J on July 02, 2014, 07:50:27 AM
I'm not picky. Except when it comes to my brook trout, I only prefer NC SABT brook trout on Ben's favorite streams.

:laugh:

I have no favorite streams...all can disappoint at any given point in time.  They all suck now as far as I'm concerned.  Ask me again in a few days though after I go fishing again.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on July 02, 2014, 07:18:10 AM
Mudwall, your telling me you don't like cracking open a raw oyster and eating it?

No, I do not prefer oysters.  I'd eat one of the Rocky Mountain varieties before I'd eat one from the Bay or Gulf.  So, I'd eat a testicle before I'd eat a filter feeder. 

Where the heck are those Disney photos?
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on July 02, 2014, 07:54:28 AM

Where the heck are those Disney photos?

It was bad.  Very bad.  I slapped a smile on my face though and bared it.  She puts up with my fishing so I could put up with the Big Ole Rat Land for a week.......

I also made the mistake of letting her pick out my clothes for the trip...... Lesson learned there too.

Dougfish

Quote from: Big J on July 02, 2014, 07:59:59 AM
I also made the mistake of letting her pick out my clothes for the trip......

:o I don't think I would have offered that up. My goodness, you are pitiful.  :laugh:

Raw oysters? Down the hatch, baby. Lemon juice and a dash of horseradish or a little hot sauce.
The list of what could harm me is long.  Burger King is probably more dangerous than those bivalves.

The Dude

Quote from: Phallus in Wonderland on July 02, 2014, 07:45:29 AM
Fresh Yellowfin Tuna is food of the gods.  Striper flesh is garden fertilizer.

I disagree.  Years ago I was at a party and the host had gone out that day and caught a big tuna and brought it back.  He built a backyard bbq pit and roasted the fish over the coals on a rotisserie spits.  The guests could walk up with a knife and just cut off a piece and eat it.  I started off eating raw fish and continued to sample as the party went on and the fish cooked further.  It was the best fish I had ever eaten..........until years later when I went fishing with a friend at the mouth of the Chesapeake for large rockfish.  We came home and cooked them on the grill and to this day I have never had anything that compares.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Native Fisher

Fresh broiled/baked/roasted Rockfish is really good, especially if you remove the dark meat when filleting.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

That may be the saddest, most disheartening, confession I have heard, ever!   Was this part of some confused prenup or postnup agreement?  She gets to dress you?  Is this some recent fresh splinter of present-day matrimonial protocol?  Does the Dude's new Mrs. now pick out his clothes? 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on July 02, 2014, 09:19:43 AM

That may be the saddest, most disheartening, confession I have heard, ever!   Was this part of some confused prenup or postnup agreement?  She gets to dress you?  Is this some recent fresh splinter of present-day matrimonial protocol?  Does the Dude's new Mrs. now pick out his clothes?

:laugh:  It was more of a I was busy the week leading up to when we left and she packed for me kind of thing.  It was still a huge mistake on my part that shall not happen again.  It was a sad confession, but I feel better getting it off my chest. 

Beetle

Muddie- don't be surprised.   Did you forget everything you learned in those deviant psych classes?

While the practice, to me, seems slightly oedipal, it likely stems from pain avoidance.   In other words, if I let my wife pack my bag then I won't have to hear her bitch about my clothes.

I prefer the pain.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Big J on July 02, 2014, 09:27:44 AM

:laugh:  It was more of a I was busy the week leading up to when we left and she packed for me kind of thing.  It was still a huge mistake on my part that shall not happen again.  It was a sad confession, but I feel better getting it off my chest.

No excuse.  I can pack for a vacation in 5 minutes.  Her on the other hand it takes a few hours every evening for a week to think about everything she could possibly conceive wearing while away, and then 15 minutes right before we are about to pull out of the driveway.  I couldn't imagine multiplying that process times two if she had to pack my stuff.  I know what she doesn't like me to wear, but I stopped caring years ago.

TheYiman

Quote from: benben on July 02, 2014, 10:05:03 AM
Quote from: Big J on July 02, 2014, 09:27:44 AM

No excuse.  I can pack for a vacation in 5 minutes.  Her on the other hand it takes a few hours every evening for a week to think about everything she could possibly conceive wearing while away, and then 15 minutes right before we are about to pull out of the driveway.  I couldn't imagine multiplying that process times two if she had to pack my stuff.  I know what she doesn't like me to wear, but I stopped caring years ago.

:laugh: All of this is so funny.  The twists of this thread.

robspe7370

Nice report. We have not seen too many Reds down this way yet either. They are busting the Cobias ass though. And I concur with the bluecrab. I have caught a bushel over the last 3 days out of 2 pots just off my bulkhead.
I ain't here for a long time. I'm here for a good time.

sanjuanwormhatch

I was reared on raw oysters.  My preference is for the ones down near my ol' stomping grounds.  True story.  When I was in lawyer school and had an overactive brain, I read an oyster article in Garden & Gun (first mistake ... just kidding) and those sumbitches didn't even mention the south carolina/georgia/low country "cluster" oysters and they are based in Charleston, by god, South Carolina.  I'll be damned if I didn't fire off a three page email to the editor and they actually printed the thing.  Crowning moment.