Bear Attack In Cherokee Natl Forest

Started by pmike, April 13, 2006, 23:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmike

My oldest daughter just read that there was a family camping in or near Cherokee Natl Forest and a bear attacked them. A six year old girl died from injuries sustained in the attack. Details are kind of sketchy, but they said that her mom and brother were also critically injured and several others present tried unsuccessfuly to fight off the bear with sticks and rocks.

I have heard a few different reports of bears seeming to be more aggressive than usual. This being the case folks might seriously consider or reconsider obtaining some bear spray for protection. Also may want to be a little more sensitive and aware of your surroundings while on stream or camping.

Mike

Peddler

I posted this on that other site:
I think I'll leave Hazel Creek for the braver souls this year. We saw our fair share of them last year!

Bear kills 6-year-old girl in Tennessee
Mother, toddler injured in attack in national park

BENTON, Tenn. - A bear attacked a family at a camp site in the Cherokee National Forest on Thursday, killing a 6-year-old girl and injuring her 2-year-old brother and mother, authorities said.
The attack took place near a pool of water on Chilhowee Mountain, said Dan Hicks, spokesman for the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.
Witnesses described the bear picking up the boy in its mouth while the mother and other visitors tried to fend it off with sticks and rocks, Hicks said.
The girl ran away during that attack, but was found dead a short time later with the bear nearby. A park ranger fired at least one shot at the bear before it bolted off. The woman and her son were flown by helicopter to a Chattanooga hospital, where both were being treated for wounds consistent with a bear attack, Hicks said.
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Grumpy

I'll face the consequences of toting a 45 :o

Grumpy

billres

'Scuse me there trout-er-us I must have missed something , are you saying I have a poachers mentality because I carry for protection , two legged or four legged ?

Bill...

Gofisher

Hope I'm with you if it happens Grumpy! Please shoot straight.

lepomis_mcro

QuoteInsert Quote
Quote from: billres on Today at 12:16:30 pm
'Scuse me there trout-er-us I must have missed something , are you saying I have a poachers mentality because I carry for protection , two legged or four legged ?

Bill...

If you decide to ignore the law and carry firearms where illegal, yes.

does that meen if i speed a little and brake the law im poaching, cool....oh what if i take 11 items in the 10 item lane at the store, am i poaching then too. ;)...what about that tag on the mattres if i take that off, im poaching ::)...how about the take a penny, sometimes i take two or three..there is no stoping me im wild ;D
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

billres

I suggest you call the mother of the dead child and explain that to her. I'm sure she will agree that rocks and sticks would suffice to protect her in case of another attack , two legged or four legged and that being "legal" is a noble cause . When you become a member of the food chain the rules change..Some of us prefer not to be eaten , by bears or thugs........

Bill

lepomis_mcro

Quote from: trout-r-us on April 16, 2006, 08:32:30 AM
Bluegill, if you're having trouble following the logic of this thread, look up the word analogy in a dictionary.

oh snaps...you told me :o ;D

analogy >noun (pl. analogies)  1 a comparison between one thing and another made to explain or clarify.  2 a correspondence or partial similarity.
-DERIVATIVES analogical >adjective.

(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

billres

trout-r-us

You're right of course and I know that , just hard to check a gun at the state line and pick it up on  the other side. Our society is changing faster than I want  it to , nothing I can do about that , I wonder if the civil part of civilization isn't over. An ole crackhead put a .38 in my ear and threatened to pull the trigger a few years ago. My only thought was " this is Tueasday and the funeral is gonna be Thursday and it will be a closed casket ceremony , cause it this sucker pulls the trigger,  half of my head is gonna be missing ". Ever since I get a little anxious when things  go creak in the night and folks get to talking real loud.  :o

croaker

Quote from: trout-r-us on April 16, 2006, 08:32:30 AM
Bill, very unfortunate what happened to the family involved with the bear. That does not change the fact that if you carry a weapon in an area where it is illegal, you are a common criminal.
Underline added by me.

My thoughts,  on common criminals such as myself are...Going along  with your way of thinkin  trout-r-us.  The Mother and other folks fighting (with weapons that were already there) fer their loved ones lives, are now common criminals as Bear season is out, and they were usin illegal methods to kill a Bear.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

cmiller51h

Guys, if carrying a handgun makes me a "common criminal" so be it! I'd much rather be alive or my children alive and face the concequenses that be plannig a funeral, especilly for a child and wishing I could have done something about it. I had a drugged up idiot pull the door of my truck trying to open it. Lucky for him I was running too fast and it was locked. Had he been successful, I'd have called the cops to tell them where the body was laying! I do have common smarts and know how to and when to use a firearm. If that makes me a bad guy, thats too bad! If this was a perfect world we would'nt need protection, but it's not. Just my $.03!
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

flyman

Very sad news for everone involved  :(
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

briar

It doesn't make sense to me( a lot of things don't,but this one kinda sticks out there)Why can a responsible person who can carry a firearm concealed legally, enter a National forest and become a criminal ?One would think you would be in need of such protection more in a forest setting than an urban one.Rabid coons come to mind here.
Just because you pass a boundary line doesn't really change anything except for those who deem it in our best intrest.(Beware)The best government, is the least government.I believe if your packing, concealed means just that,you are not going to know its there.
Just a thought.
b

lepomis_mcro

you better watch out croaker...trout-r-us might tell you to go look up something in the dictionary.

after i looked up my word i had to write the definition on the black-board 100 times for after school detention :'(