News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

The Cove

Started by Yellow_Rose_Fly, September 27, 2020, 22:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellow_Rose_Fly

I arrived at 2140 to the parking lot and decided to just camp in the bed of my truck instead of setting up the tent.  Sleeping pad down, cover popped, sleeping bag laid out, and XDS loaded and chambered, time for sleep with dreams of trout and tight lines. 

JKP

The night was cold and I was restless, must have been excited about the day to come, or it could have been the traffic and the random mountain folk that use parking lot for a meet up point.  Almost asleep, a F250 comes pulling in, pop-country blaring and parks right next to me!  I set up and they turned down the music and let me be ( in the morning I scoped out better spots to camp for the future).  I felt like I was waking up every few minutes, but it could have been hours.  Eventually at 0545ish I decided to get out of the fart sack and fix coffee and instant oatmeal for breakfast. 

You cannot view this attachment.

The dark night sky slowly began to glow as the sun worked it's way over the pines and hardwoods changing the once abyss of darkness into shades of soft gray with green undertones.  The sent of coffee, attached to the molecules of the air around me, warmed me up before ever tasting the first sip.  Prior to the trip I had yet to craft my leader (I was planning on doing it the night prior, but I had a "good ol time" when the new line I was spooling became a few hour endeavor) so I twisted various test and diameters of leader material together.  Trying a new technique, I packed my daypack with my waders, some water, and snacks, laced my wading boots up and began my saunter down Old Grassy Gap Rd.  This new techniques is that I do not dress in garb until I can no longer resist, allowing myself to get further up into less pressured and more "wild" water. 

Walking and humming/whistling I drifted into my mind, as my visual and audible sensory system engaged with the world around them.  The valley was waking from a nights slumber and life was conversing with the new day. 

Stepping hastily to cover ground came to the primitive backcountry campsite where the you must choose your adventure.

Onward up Basin Creek Trail! 

While passing the campsite, there was a couple breaking camp.  The wife was nose deep in her phone and didn't notice my friendly wave, but her leashed beagle did.  Strolling past the sites there were a few more tents strewn about the landscape, but no sign of life.  With the campsite in my rear view I ducked into the thick rodo-dungeon as the trail danced with the creek further into the mountain.  The dense fauna was combatting every ambush the sun was trying to make on the Appalachia undergrowth.  My humming and whistling became louder as I weaved in and out of thicket and clearing and thicket again, all this time resisting the urge to dabble in this hole and that.  Although I did make a mental note of the juicy looking ones. 

Pushing further up the trail, but never really taking my eye nor mind and attention off the creek, I reach as far as I could stand and threw off my pack, shed a layer, and kitted up.

The point where nerves could not take it anymore!

Ready for battle, I pushed up a bit further to make it around the downed trees to the next pool which looked promising, coming across one of the old fireplaces which must have belonged to the grain wheel.

My heart content on sight-seeing I turned my focus to the water.

Working my way upstream for a few more holes, I came to a pool right after a small fall, more of a sluice, that barreled under a tree.  1 drift, 2 drift, feel a tug,,, you blew it!!!!!  Thinking to myself there is no way I can get this fish to eat again, I changed my attack plan.  Tying on something you could call a "green weenie", and changing my tippet out, I flicked this "weenie" up and in the run and started the drift.  Nothing, nothing, tap?, snag?.....nope, the tip of my rod began to dance with energy I have not yet encountered today!  Now my thoughts shifted to "DON'T LOOSE THIS FISH".  Keeping tension on the adversary, I surveyed a place near by to attempt to seal the deal, as at the present moment I am perched upon a rock barely holding enough land mass for my boots.  Working my way a few feet downstream and to slower water I secured my net and proceeded to scoop up this mountain treasure. 

This was one of those fish that makes your day and after the release you stop and contemplate wether or not to continue fishing.  Needless to say, I keep fishing.  Rock-hopping downstream, from pool to pool, until I had had my fulfillment.  My soul has been recharged!  I exited the stream and hit the trail continuing my tradition of humming with a side of whistling, getting lost in my head again while my eye and ears interact with the surroundings. 
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
Till next time and maybe I'll make it up further!

Photo dump below.

Dougfish

Nice.  V:;

You need to downsize some of photo's size.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Yellow_Rose_Fly

Quote from: Dougfish on September 28, 2020, 06:29:23 AMNice.  V:;

Yeah, I saw that when I posted, I will apply physical anguish to rectify the problem.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Yellow_Rose_Fly on September 28, 2020, 07:02:39 AM
Quote from: Dougfish on September 28, 2020, 06:29:23 AMNice.  V:;

Yeah, I saw that when I posted, I will apply physical anguish to rectify the problem.

last three photos needed to be "inserted" to display correctly...

I've not been there in a while and it looks like the stream has changed a bit since I was last up that way...
nice folded Igneous rock photo...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

Good report, and good pics! That old millstone is cool.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Onslow

Sweet, and great writing.

I highly recommend camping at the primitive site.  The last time I went, I slept in the open air in a fleece bag on a piece of ground covering, and watched the stars. This camping site is one my holy places.

It is unfortunate you had to deal with the noisy asshole down low. This reminds of the last time I camped at Upper Creek.  Some dude, wife, and a young girl rolled in past midnight.  The man started busting wood with some serious old school country music just blaring. About 1:30, he had a blaze about 6' tall, and this mess went on until 3 AM. This was my once-a-year trip when I lived down east.  I was so pissed, I entertained the notion of removing the valve stems from the man's tires, and tossing them, but since his wife and youngin was with him, I restrained myself.

greg

Great pictures. I like the coffee pot.

Dee-Vo

A righteous creek with plenty of water. One of my favorite places to get lost for a day or two. Rock on.

Phil

Way cool. Never been up that way. Looks like "ya done good!"  'c;  :bow