News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Another boat project:

Started by JMiller, February 10, 2015, 22:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMiller

When I was about ten I had a great uncle who died and left me all kinds of fishing stuff, including my first fly rod and this sweet 15' grumman square stern canoe with a 4-horse Johnson that we had to haul back to TN behind our Wagoneer from his estate in Arizona. Had to wait a few years before my dad would let me take it out on my own, but when I was finally allowed, man that was freedom. Wasn't real fast but it got me into the fish for several years until my dad let a couple of his friends borrow it to put up trot lines on the Harpeth one night and they got ran over by a couple of drunks in a bass boat. Cut the thing right in half and killed the little outboard too. That was the last (motorized) boat I ever owned.

Until now, anyway. I've always been fascinated by the little Coleman Crawdad jonboats you see old timers puttering around in. Found a cheap one on Craigslist for a couple hundred bucks and decided to try and build some kind of flyfishing river skiff out of it. Behold, in all her glory:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Traded a buddy a Glock for the little Merc on the back, which has a handy, 1-liter internal gas tank so I don't take up space in the floor with an auxiliary. Bought the trolling motor today also.
Sorry for the blurry shot.

Anyway, I ripped off the bass boat seats and have begun stripping it down. Am gonna remove the front seat altogether for casting space. I mostly fish alone, but a passenger can sit on the cooler.

So far, $286 invested:

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

bmadd

I like where this is going, carry on

Dougfish

Cool. You need more shit in your garage. It's way too clean and uncluttered.

Big J

That'll make a good little river boat. What will you mainly be chasing in it?

JMiller

There are a bunch of nice smallmouth rivers around me where this will come in handy, but the main impetus behind this is some musky water I can't get to on foot. There are a couple decent tailwaters nearby also. I don't fish for trout much, but they both have striper runs.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Big J

Quote from: JMiller on February 11, 2015, 07:13:51 AM
There are a bunch of nice smallmouth rivers around me where this will come in handy, but the main impetus behind this is some musky water I can't get to on foot. There are a couple decent tailwaters nearby also. I don't fish for trout much, but they both have striper runs.

I was hoping you'd say musky. Striper are fun too. Let me know if you ever make it up my way

JMiller

I'll do that.
Haven't yet boated a musky, but I think this turns the odds in my favor. Kayak fishing is the worst.

― Charles Bukowski

Big J

Quote from: JMiller on February 11, 2015, 07:31:56 AM
I'll do that.
Haven't yet boated a musky, but I think this turns the odds in my favor. Kayak fishing is the worst.

Musky kick my tail. I've caught two but both were with Dave. He's got good musky juju. I'm just starting to learn. I did put my friend on his first musky though on his first trip in my boat. It's mainly about just getting time on a section of water and learning it. Last two sections i fished were new sections to me and got a good skunking. Just part of the game.

JMiller

Yeah, Ive seen some fish and had some looks but just haven't sealed the deal. Pretty negligent on my part because one of the best rivers around is about 30 minutes from my door, but again it's really not something you can do wading and just isn't much fun getting blown all around, trying to paddle with one hand in a kayak. Hence the trolling motor. This is the year though. I've tied up the flies. Time to make it happen.

― Charles Bukowski

bullship

It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

Grannyknot

Quote from: Dougfish on February 11, 2015, 07:01:01 AM
Cool. You need more shit in your garage. It's way too clean and uncluttered.

Agreed.  If you need some shit for your garage, PM me.
Last night I wrestled with a kiddie pool for about 30 minutes just trying to make room to use my router table.

Looks like a fun boat project.  I know the musky river you speak of.  It is good.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Onslow

Jmiller, we are counting on ya to produce some goods this upcoming season.  You keep things righteous, so bring it on!

Dougfish

Mr. Miller,
I wish you success with the bote project. Mine has stalled.  :laugh: This the proper garage scene:

BTW, this situation pisses me off. By the end of the day, the wife will be able to get her new car in the other stall.

Jfey

I have boat and garage envy as I have neither.   Who buys a house without a garage?   This guy....
Yup, going fishing

Big J

Jmiller, was thinking.  You planning on removing the seat and bars in the front?  Might want to make sure they aren't structural.  Might be night to remove just eh plastic seat and add a mesh stripping bag in hole where the seat was for line management help.

Jfey, I'm also garageless.  It sucks.