News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Philpott Lake

Started by rjs123, June 17, 2009, 21:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs123

I fished the very muddy water on the Smith for a brief time late this morning.  It was deeper and faster than normal. I didnt even get a hit so I decided to go check out some areas on Philpott that I havent seen before.

I have to say Philpott is a very beautiful lake.  I caught about 15 bluegills and had a pretty good time. Most of the gills were small and the only nice ones were caught with my ultra light spinning rod using a small rooster tail. I think it was more a matter of where I was rather than what I was using.  I couldnt make a decent cast with the fly rod where I  ran into the nice ones.  I could make a short roll cast but that was it. I hooked about 5 like the one in the picture below.  I threw the first three back and decide if I was going to catch more of these I would take a few home for a fish fry.  Well,  after making that decision and putting 2 on the stringer they stopped biting.  So.. I came home with only 2 but after a careful filleting job I cooked them up and they were very tasty and just enough.

One of the five I caught this size.

The smallest of the day.  Didnt even know he was on my line till I tried to cast again.

mcanders

They always stop biting when you decide to keep em.