Day Well-spent in the Smokies

Started by Yallerhammer, June 02, 2019, 16:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

Headed out early Friday morning to hit a couple creeks I haven't fished in awhile.

Breakfast of champions:

You cannot view this attachment.

Met this guy along the way.

First creek was a good-sized one, so I broke out my 10' rod:

It's full of these:

And these:

Unexpected company. It startled the crap out of me when it jumped off the bank into a hole right above me. These things are spreading out all over the place now, good to see them doing well:

Mmmm....tree limbs....

Fished a couple hours up this creek and caught a bunch of good fish. I hooked one really nice brown about 16", but he quick-released himself when I was reaching for him with the net, so no pics of him. He put up a heckuva fight on the long three-weight in the strong current, so I didn't begrudge him his freedom. Maybe I'll hook him again next year when he's bigger.

Sun is getting high now, time to head up a tributary.....

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Yallerhammer

This smaller creek is a tributary of the first creek, and it always seems to hold some really good fish for the size of the creek.

They were hitting good, I spent a couple hours catching fish after fish. Very fat and colorful, and strong fighters.

Everything was lush and green. Thousands of maidenhair ferns growing along the creek:

This 12" butterbelly with a kype starting wound up being the fish to hand of the day:

Starting to get into the afternoon, and I was having a great time. But something is missing for a day in the Smokies: No specks yet. Lets see if we can remedy that....

Yallerhammer

Started up a smaller tributary that usually has some specks:

At first, though, it was just more of these:

But, finally, after working my way upstream, I started getting into some little tiny native jewels. Nothing of any size at all on the speck side today, but pretty little guys:

It was getting late, and I was tired, hungry, and happy; so I started the hike back out to the truck. Days like this are what keeps me sane and grounded. Doesn't get much better.

Fin.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

greg

Looks like you had a very good day. I spent Friday in park as well. No pictures. Left phone in truck. About 20 or so to hand. All rainbows except one brown. Nice report.

Phil

Love the Smokies reports and fish, Yaller. And ya got the grand slam. Fine stuff!  'c;  'c;

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

Stone-Man

Pretty fish and good photos. Great colors on most of those babies    - Good report,Sir  'c;

Dee-Vo

Pansyman

You can lead a horticulture<br />but you can't make her think.<br /><br />Only users lose weed.

joe friday

hcrum87hc

Looks like a great day.  A wild slam is still on my checklist.  I haven't been able to accomplish it yet, but hopefully soon.  I think I know a stream I can do it on, but I haven't fished high enough to check for brookies yet.
Jeremiah 17:7