News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Wanted:

Started by flyfish_va, November 22, 2008, 01:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyfish_va

Good fishing buddy to make crazy fishing trips with.  Must be willing to flyfish and fish with live shad. Should be willing to endure all weather condition in waders or a boat. (snow, rain, wind and extreme tempertures often apply)  Needs to be willing to get up at 3am to ride/drive hundreds of miles to catch fish between 4 inches and 4 feet long.  Must also be able to hike, bike or camp to fish.  Previous applicants need not apply.  I currently live in Roanoke, im planning on starting to fish the various streams in the smokies, mt rodgers and the SNP on a as much as possible basis..I usually fish 1 or 2 days a week, sometimes more or less. Scroll down to view possible rewards

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

ColdOnTheShoulder

Who needs live shad?

TROUTMASTER3000

Ill go with you to GSMNP man.  Im bout to be 18, but im 6'6" and it don't really matter all that much.  I love stream fishin.  I don't know about shad.  But ill go fishin with you any weekend you want to brother.  I know some pretty good spots but have never hit some of them up.  Some I have tho.  Hit me up sometime.
Anything is possible with will, determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
AMERICA RULES

flyfish_va

i like the flattie on the fly! thats pretty sweet....It'll probably be the beginning of the year before i head to the smokies......Im gonna fish the elk and cranberry too......so lisences are gonna kill my wallet!

TROUTMASTER3000

Yea man... They are really expensive.  While your at it though you might as well get one for Tenn.  so you can fish the South Holston... Ive never fished for catfish on a fly rod.  That seems so rediculous.  Anyway when you head over to the mountains make sure you let me know and we will fish for some 6 in brookies. 0--0
Anything is possible with will, determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
AMERICA RULES

flyfish_va

most defenetly, i wanna fish some super picky...hard to sneak up on browns too!

Ive heard of fly fishing for cats up there, even caught wind of some guys doing the same for blues.....Capt Mike Ostrander does day time float trips in Richmond catching 20, 20+ pound flatties..He drifts live bluegills...I bet could tie up something pretty and smoke'em of the fly!

TROUTMASTER3000

Im down... No real reason to use a fly rod if your not using flies.... But I have a surf fishing rod that will work great for some 20+ cats... And it would be fun as hell to try and tie some "saltwater"-like patterns i.e. 2/0++ for some big fish.  Do you have an extra fly rod that can handle that pressure?  If you do I would be down to go.  Virginia is a long way from here though depending on the location in the state.  But if I have the time (after swim season) (Febuary) I will then be playing on the golf team and can skip that shit and go fishin' up there.  And I'll bring some patterns with me!
AMERICA RULES

flyfish_va

anothertroutbum

Where's the carp and bowfins?

croaker

Cypress Trout (AKA Bowfin)

Grass Carp

Many others in the south can be caught on the fly in fresh and salty water.

Ain't Life Grand!!!

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

flyfish_va

bowfin is on my list of fish to catch, im only a couple from having atleast on of every Va. gamefish...I gotta V-hull with a small outboard, how does spring sound...as for carp, i hooked a few large ones this summer in the backs of some coves on SML...they kept braking me off, sooner or later i'll land one on the fly though...they liked it when you would let a dry, sink in front of them....

9ft4wt

we were catching 20 pound plus flatties on the fly in James in richmond this past summer. My biggest was 24 pounds but i know people who landed them over 40 pounds. fished deceivers and big streamers.

9ft4wt

ColdOnTheShoulder

Quote from: 9ft4wt on December 01, 2008, 13:08:58 PM
we were catching 20 pound plus flatties on the fly in James in richmond this past summer. My biggest was 24 pounds but i know people who landed them over 40 pounds. fished deceivers and big streamers.

9ft4wt

Yeah, flatties down on the James are fun. The blues are pretty crazy to get into, whole different type of flies. I've never caught a flathead on a deceiver, they dont seem to mind big ugly leeches though. I'm working on the carp right now...

flyfish_va

im gonna have to find my down there,  sounds like fun....I bet gat would be awesome on the fly?

Woolly Bugger

only species i'm interested in are a) trouts b) smallies c) shad
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!