Damn Dams -- Unlimited dam removal

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 02, 2020, 06:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Dam removal is a win-win for river and irrigation

>>>A dam removal project in the Rogue River watershed this summer is proving that it's possible to find solutions that benefit both salmon and farms.

The Lower Bridgepoint Dam on Williams Creek, a tributary to the Applegate River, provides water for irrigation, but restricts habitat for Chinook and coho salmon, as well as steelhead and lamprey. Now, thanks to the collaboration of the Applegate Partnership and Watershed Council and with support from the Bureau of Land Management and private landowners, the dam is coming down and the habitat will be restored.

This dam removal adds to the ongoing restoration efforts in the mighty Rogue River watershed, renowned for its world-class sport fishing. These projects help Rogue River salmon sustain recreational and commercial fishing, despite recent droughts that have devastated fish in other rivers in the state.

https://mailtribune.com/opinion/guest-opinions/dam-removal-is-a-win-win-for-river-and-irrigation
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Nez Perce Tribe Calls for Leadership on Lower Snake River Restoration

>>>"We view restoring the lower Snake River as urgent and overdue.  To us, the lower Snake River is a living being, and, as stewards, we are compelled to speak the truth on behalf of this life force and the impacts these concrete barriers on the lower Snake have on salmon, steelhead, and lamprey, on a diverse ecosystem, on our Treaty-reserved way of life, and on our people." stated Chairman Shannon F. Wheeler.

https://lcvalley.dailyfly.com/Home/ArtMID/1352/ArticleID/56383/Nez-Perce-Tribe-Calls-for-Leadership-on-Lower-Snake-River-Restoration
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Environmental Groups File Motion To Stop Dam Project In Little Colorado River Gorge

>>>A coalition of environmental groups Monday plan to file a motion to stop a hydropower and dam proposal in the Little Colorado River Gorge. They say it represents a grave threat to the environment, endangered species and tribal sacred sites. KNAU's Ryan Heinsius reports.

The environmental legal group Earthjustice is urging the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to reject a preliminary permit application filed for the Big Canyon project. It would include four dams and four reservoirs adjacent to Grand Canyon National Park on the Navajo Nation. It's the third such proposal in the area from the Phoenix-based Pumped Hydro Storage, and would tap a local aquifer instead of damming the Little Colorado River.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The Little Colorado River Gorge on the Navajo Nation adjacent to Grand Canyon National Park is the proposed site of three hydro-storage proposals.
Credit Ryan Heinsius / KNAU

https://www.knau.org/post/environmental-groups-file-motion-stop-dam-project-little-colorado-river-gorge

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Another Washington dam removal — and 37 more miles of salmon habitat restored

>>> PILCHUCK RIVER, near Granite Falls, Snohomish County — Washington's dam-busting summer is still rolling, with two more dams coming down on the Pilchuck River, opening 37 miles of habitat to salmon for the first time in more than a century.

The $2 million dam removal project is a collaboration between the City of Snohomish and Tulalip Tribes, and will benefit multiple species of salmon, including threatened chinook salmon, crucial food for endangered southern resident killer whales.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/another-washington-dam-removal-and-37-more-miles-of-salmon-habitat-restored/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Barriers limit cutthroat trout migration

>>> Few people know rivers more intimately than anglers. Every bend, pool and overhanging trees of our favorite river stretches are stored in the recesses of our brains. Particularly those where big fish are known to hide.

From year to year, the pools we fish are usually static and don't change dramatically. We walk up to our favorite stream and, by all appearances, the water looks the same. Things we have a hard time observing happen throughout the year.

https://www.tu.org/blog/barriers-limit-migratory-cutthroat-populations/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

A Sweeping Win for Salmon and Steelhead on the Willamette River

>>>Dams on four key tributaries of the Willamette River block between 40 to 90% of spawning habitat. The dams' heights and large reservoirs make it nearly impossible for small fish to swim downstream and for adult fish to access critical spawning habitats upstream. Dam operations create unnatural flows, impact fish habitat, water quality and water temperature which increases mortality.

The Court ruled for the Plaintiffs on all three of their ESA claims, holding that the Corps: 1) failed to carry out "several of the most important [required] measures" related to fish passage and water quality, 2) is jeopardizing and unlawfully taking Upper Willamette Chinook salmon and steelhead, and 3) the agency's significant delay in reinitiating consultation was "a substantial procedural violation of the ESA."

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/08/17/a-sweeping-win-for-salmon-and-steelhead-on-the-willamette-river/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Washington Dam Removal Will Give Salmon The Chance To Spawn

https://www.kuow.org/stories/60-year-old-nooksack-dam-is-being-blasted-to-pieces-to-let-fish-swim-free

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Work underway on Walton's Mill Dam removal

The replaced metal arch will be able to withstand the 100-year storm event without impacting the road. The increased size also allows for a natural stream bottom and banks which restores fish passage, water quality, and wildlife movements. Connected streams are critical for recovery of Atlantic salmon, brook trout, and other wildlife. :cheers

Progress is being made on the removal of Walton's Mill Dam- a project that was widely approved by voters two years ago.

Heading up the project is the Atlantic Salmon Federation who is investing roughly $1.2 million to make area improvements and remove the historic dam. Built in 1820, the dam was deemed a barrier to the endangered Atlantic salmon by the National Marine Fisheries Service in 2009. By law the town would have either needed to remove the dam completely or construct a passage for the fish to migrate through. The option of the "fish ladder" would not have included any assistance from federal or state funding, and was estimated to cost $750,000.

http://www.dailybulldog.com/db/features/work-underway-on-waltons-mill-dam-removal/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Last month, North Coast Regional Director Darren Mierau presented to an audience of 228 participants about the Potter Valley Project. Two aging dams on the upper Mainstem Eel River, owned by Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E), currently impede (Cape Horn Dam) or completely block (Scott Dam) migratory access to several hundred miles of habitat for federally listed Chinook salmon and Steelhead. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) license for the Potter Valley Project (PVP) expires in 2022. In 2019 PG&E made a paramount decision to not relicense the Project.

This webinar will describe the Feasibility Study Report and Project Plan submitted to FERC in May of 2020 by a coalition of five regional entities including CalTrout to acquire the license for the Potter Valley Project. The Project Plan includes the removal of Scott Dam, modification of Cape Horn Dam, continued power generation, and winter "run-of-the-river" water diversions. The Project plan would result in unimpeded migratory access for salmon and steelhead into the upper Eel River, along with continued diversion of Eel River water to the Russian River.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Ward's Mill Dam on Watauga River Planned for Removal This Year

>>>
The historic dam at the Ward's Mill along Watauga River near Sugar Grove is being removed this year.

"That is the plan," said Virginia Ward, adding that the future removal will be bittersweet.

"You know it will be okay to let it go. It will open the river and I believe that will be good ... but it's a bit sad, too. We have multiple emotions. Let's put it that way."

https://wataugaonline.com/wards-mill-dam-on-watauga-river-planned-for-removal-this-year/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

A river reconnected: Removing the Pilchuck River Diversion Dam

>>>Washington's Pilchuck River is close to once again flowing freely after more than 100 years, thanks to a NOAA-supported effort to remove an obsolete dam. Once restoration work is complete, the project will reopen 37 miles of habitat for fish and help protect downstream communities from flooding.

>>>The Pilchuck River Dam is located roughly where the middle and upper portions of the Pilchuck River meet. The middle portion of the river, below the dam, lacks high-quality habitat and has high summer temperatures. Above the dam, in the upper portion of the river, high-quality habitat is abundant and water temperatures are cooler. Removing the Pilchuck River Dam allows fish to access more than 37 miles of this high-quality habitat.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Walton's Mill dam removal, park improvements outlined in Farmington

>>>FARMINGTON — Selectmen on Tuesday evening were told design plans for improvements to Walton's Mill Park Plan should be nearly complete in about two weeks, with a final plan ready in October.

"We're moving along in our design phase, we're at 75% of the design," Maranda Nemeth, project manager for the Atlantic Salmon Federation, said.

Voters approved the $1.2 million Walton's Mill Dam project in November 2018, a year after a fish passage study was approved. The project will remove the dam so endangered Atlantic salmon can travel up Temple Stream to spawn.

Dam removal and park improvements will be done in three phases with construction starting in 2021, Nemeth said.

https://www.centralmaine.com/2020/09/22/waltons-mill-dam-removal-park-improvements-outlined-in-farmington/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Removing dams on Puyallup and Snake rivers is key to salmon and orca survival

>>>Like many people throughout the Pacific Northwest, I was recently uplifted by the news that Tahlequah, the mother orca who captured the world's attention during her tour of grief in 2018, gave birth to a healthy new calf. Southern resident orcas are one of the world's most endangered wildlife populations, so every new calf is precious.

While I am cautiously optimistic, I remain concerned about the future this newborn orca and his family face as they search for increasingly scarce salmon.

Salmon are the lifeblood of the Pacific Northwest's ecosystems, culture and economy. Over 100 species of wildlife rely on salmon. Recreational and commercial fishing businesses support countless rural communities from the coast to the Palouse.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/opinion/op-ed/article245996200.html
me -There's a season?