News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Bird huntin'

Started by tomato can, October 30, 2010, 13:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomato can

Three hours of walkin' the southern appalachains resulted in nuthin' but two TIRED dogs.  Man oh man grouse are gettin' as scarce as hens' teeth.  I wish they would log some of the national forest to improve the bird huntin'

Mstash

Amen
I see more birds with fly Rod in hand than shot Gun in hand

tomato can

I wish I did, I hunted near the stream I usually fish.  Nuthin' full of dead falls and grape tangles.  They really need to log it would rejuvenate the forest.  There is so much dead fall now that if the forest went up it would go.  All the hemlocks are dead, and a lot of the decidious has blown over. 

jwgnc

I had the same problem last time I chased Grouse a year ago in Michigan - just not as many as there used to be.  We did see a few - and I missed one with bboth barrels - going stright away from me, but up hill. (Poor excuse b';)

Too many pros up there with their sports - or rich dudes with their pointers back from doggie hunting university.  Birds have been hounded so much, most of our flushes were way wild in front of us so far that we never got shots.  And that's two guns walking quietly without a dog.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

rbphoto

It's the same way with quail in the flatlands.

They either aren't there or it's become a rich man's sport where you have to kick the birds to get them to fly.

Didn't hear the first grouse in the last two days where there used to be scads of them.

"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

sanjuanwormhatch

If anyone ever wants to let an amateur tag along I would be very appreciative.  Can pay back in barbecue and float trips.

Trout Maharishi

I've started shooting Starlings and Red Winged Black Birds. They come in great ol big flocks, and they taste OK if you can get enough of them to make a stew.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Grannyknot

I flush them pretty frequently when I'm out hiking & backpacking.
If you are ever in TN, during season, go down to Tellico Plains and hike the warriors passage trail.
It passes through 2 large areas where the forest service has done controlled burns. 
The underbrush has recovered quicker than the trees.

They're out there, but yes, hard to find in these parts.
I have a good friend that hunts almost every weekend during season.  A good day is 2 birds to him.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

sanjuanwormhatch

Thanks, Granny.  I am actually planning on heading that way in the not so distant future. 

5xTippett

:I've started shooting Starlings and Red Winged Black Birds."  I've heard they make a pretty good pie. -0-