Question about why rainbows and browns are stocked instead of just brookies

Started by bandit350, March 14, 2012, 22:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit350

I've introduced a buddy to fly fishing and he asked about stocking.  This mainly pertains to WNC but I guess it's open to all states in the area.  Why is it that Fish and Wildlife stock rainbows and browns instead of just brook trout?  I found the link below but it doesn't give a comprehensive answer.
If the wild brookies get pushed into the higher areas, how is it beneficial to continually stock non-native fish?  Does it have to do w/ keeping the false balance we created?  Quality of fishing, such as bringing in dollars since people like the fight associated w/ a rainbow shooting up in the air?  I don't know any wildlife biologists around here to ask so figured I'd post in the forums.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Fishing/HatcheriesStocking/How_does_WRC_makes_decisions_about_stocking.aspx

franzenangler

Stocker brookies are'nt native brookies... jis sayin........... carry on  :;!
"Whatch'all boys doing around here?"

"I AM THE TRANSYL WADER!"

"I don't give a shit who you are boy, I asked whatcha doin'"

"That's it boy, you're in a heap of trouble."

bandit350

"Stocker brookies are'nt native brookies... jis sayin........... carry on"

Understand that part.  Anyone know where the stocked brook trout lines are from (either geographically or genetically)?  How would native brook trout from this region fare in a hatchery setting compared to the strains that are currently used (ie less hardy, slower growth rates, lowered fitness, etc)?  Fitness in this case refers to sexual reproduction rates.

Perchjerker

probably about the same fitness you have when humpin' that bear skin rug...

franzenangler

The state stocks brookies and actually stocked more brookies than browns this year. Hatchery brookies are northern strain which from my understanding have a faster growth rate
"Whatch'all boys doing around here?"

"I don't give a shit who you are boy, I asked whatcha doin'"

"That's it boy, you're in a heap of trouble."

Woolly Bugger

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Rainbows started the cold water stocking in the U.S. it was easy to rear in hatcheries, took well to rivers all across the country, was 'fun' to catch. Introduced in many streams to restock dwindling native fisheries, Fish & Game, along with the fishing population, became addicted to them.

QuoteAnders Halverson provides an exhaustively researched and grippingly rendered account of the rainbow trout and why it has become the most commonly stocked and controversial freshwater fish in the United States. Discovered in the remote waters of northern California, rainbow trout have been artificially propagated and distributed for more than 130 years by government officials eager to present Americans with an opportunity to get back to nature by going fishing. Proudly dubbed "an entirely synthetic fish" by fisheries managers, the rainbow trout has been introduced into every state and province in the United States and Canada and to every continent except Antarctica, often with devastating effects on the native fauna. Halverson examines the paradoxes and reveals a range of characters, from nineteenth-century boosters who believed rainbows could be the saviors of democracy to twenty-first-century biologists who now seek to eradicate them from waters around the globe. Ultimately, the story of the rainbow trout is the story of our relationship with the natural world—how it has changed and how it startlingly has not.

read more @ mid currents : http://midcurrent.com/books/review-an-entirely-synthetic-fish/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

phlyfisher

probably woulda contributed if there were some tits or big booty judies, but since there aint ...
(-s
'c;
^-^
live action
FB@Ohio Fly Fishing

bandit350

bandit350

wooly,

thanks for the link.  i'll have to order that book later today.  it's interesting that many of us seem to get the most pumped when wild brook trout are on the end of the line.  yet you don't typically hear a loud call to only stock native fish species.  i guess it's like drinking cheap bourbon.  i've done it but it's not ideal.  if the good stuff isn't around then sure, i'll slum it from time to time.

actually read "the founding fish" by john mcphee not too long ago.  i really didn't know anything about shad prior to that but it was a pretty good read.

perchjerker,
we all have to do our part to combat global warming.  if i can crossbreed and keep the bears away from extinction then i'll take one for the team.

benben reincarnated

I don't think at least in NC they will stock reproducing southern strain brookies unless they are doing a full blown restoration and ensure there can be no encroachment from other species downstream. 

I've heard of someone advising the NCWRC that a brookie stream in this area was being further encroached upon from rainbows at the bottom moving up and the response from the NCWRC was that they basically didn't care to intervene because the brookies on this particular stream were northern strain non-natives. 

From a sporting perspective I would agree with Woolly's post about the hardiness and relative quick growth potential of the rainbows and also probably browns.  When you are doing put and take, you just want something for all the bait chunkers to catch for meat so they go with the tried and true they've always went with before.

phlyfisher

Quote from: bandit350 on March 15, 2012, 07:59:49 AM
Quote from: phlyfisher on March 15, 2012, 07:41:45 AM
probably woulda contributed if there were some tits or big booty judies, but since there aint ...

my bad
http://www.marvelousmanboobs.com/

aww shiat, shouldnt have asked a queer for his favorite nudie pics  :-\ that your hubby bru?  'c;
p;- on stockards
live action
FB@Ohio Fly Fishing

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Mclovin is asking for images of mammae and huge round buttocks.  Listen Mclovin, surely there are better sources for your masturbatory material than BRFFF! 

Bandit took a shot, flipped a coin maybe, at deducing your sexual lean.  He obviously concluded man boobs were your thing.  I might have come to the same conclusion, because I am having a difficult time fathoming your Russian gal tales. 

Those planted fish taste fine after a few weeks removed from the hatchery.  No worries.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

phlyfisher

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on March 15, 2012, 09:48:21 AM
Mclovin is asking for images of mammae and huge round buttocks.  Listen Mclovin, surely there are better sources for your masturbatory material than BRFFF! 

Bandit took a shot, flipped a coin maybe, at deducing your sexual lean.  He obviously concluded man boobs were your thing.  I might have come to the same conclusion, because I am having a difficult time fathoming your Russian gal tales. 

Those planted fish taste fine after a few weeks removed from the hatchery.  No worries.

college proxy's are a biatch. where else am i supposed to fill ye ole spank bank?  :;!
and if all he did was flip a coin then wouldnt that mean the evidence of me liking " man boobs" could just as easily be disregarded?
furthermore those russian ladies are very nice people, shame on you for making fun of them, they have it hard enough in that shit hole of a country. im just glad i could brighten their day. and at the age of 15 i would have taken anything i could get, homely or not, thank you very much -+;. the point of that picture post was to shed some light on the fact russian gals are not as extravagant as some may think. the beautiful Russian women add is false advertising...jis sayin
live action
FB@Ohio Fly Fishing

Aka

Quote from: phlyfisher on March 15, 2012, 13:01:54 PM

the point of that picture post was to shed some light on the fact russian gals are not as extravagant as some may think... jis completely bullshitin'

FIXED

The Dude

Note to self:  Don't ever drink out of the same glass as McLovin........shiiiiit, and don't use the same toilet right after him, either, just to be on the safe side.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.