News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Davidson R. Sept 6-8, 2007

Started by phg, September 10, 2007, 16:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phg

We had a few days off, and wanting to visit "home", we spent a long weekend camping at the Davidson River Campground.  One of Judy's ambitions was to get some apples, but that late frost last spring severely limited the variety and the supply. 

Of course, we had to go up on the parkway to make sure the mountains were all still there:

While hiking through the GraveYards area, we found a lot of high bush blueberries that were ripe, so we picked a couple of cupfulls, and took them back to camp for desert.  Inspired by Disco's attempts at blueberries and dumplings at the Smallie show, we made a blueberry sauce and some  dumpling batter, simmered on the Coleman stove for 10 minutes, and voila, desert!  Only a scoop of vanilla ice cream would have made it better....

Along that line, we saw a lot of these berry bushes as well.  Does anybody know what they are? 

Of course, being right on the D, I had to check it out.  As many have already said, the D is as low as anyone can ever remember.  There's still a decent amount of water in the stream, but the flow is much slower, and there are a lot more bare rocks that I've ever seen.  On the up-side, though, the water temperature was 62F, just upstream of Avery Creek, which isn't bad. 

I fished in most of my usual spots.  With the water so low and clear, the fish were very spooky.  Long lines, stealth and cover were the order of the day.  Still, I managed to catch a fair number of 8" to 10" browns and rainbows over the 3 days I had to fish, and I probably LDR'd more than I brought to hand.  Most were hooked very lightly, and they fought hard. 

Anyway, I already have plenty of pictures of small trout, but I did take one more just to document my success. 

Yes, that's a size 12 green weenie in that brown's lower lip.  That was all I needed this weekend.  By the way, all my fish were taken from fairly shallow, mid-calf deep, turbulent water.  I watched others pounding the pools and deeper runs with little success, but I was hitting the riffs and casting under overhanging bushes, and having pretty good success. 

I do hope they get some rain soon, but the D seems to be holding up reasonably.  At least the temperatures have dropped to safer levels for the fish.

Woolly Bugger

good one Paul... hope we get some rain this w/e! (after soccer on Sat!)

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

castaway

"By the way, all my fish were taken from fairly shallow, mid-calf deep, turbulent water.  I watched others pounding the pools and deeper runs with little success, but I was hitting the riffs and casting under overhanging bushes, and having pretty good success.  "

They needed the added oxygen.  Not unusual in summer low flows.  Most folks try the pools, but moving water lets em breath better.

troutphisher

I was planning to fish the new rod, but I checked the flows on the D and they are right at 20cfs, thats the lowest I have seen it in 10 years.
I'm going to wait it out for higher flows, before I fish it again.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

flyman

http://www.brokenarrownursery.com/vib_cass.html

Not sure about the species? I think there are 3 or 4 of that genus in NC though.
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

trouthemp

Can the berry's be squeezed to extract the juice? and can it be fermented into libations?  0--0
were just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl....year after year........

phg

Flyman, I think you nailed it!  Thanks.  According to other WEB sites, the berries are edible, but contain a large seed and a limited amount of sweet flesh.  That might explain the bear scat I found on the trail nearby that was filled with small berries. 

Gofisher

Nice report PHG. Not sure if I'd get close enough to bear scat to see the berries in it! Next person checking it might find your glasses in it... ;) ;D
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Gofisher on September 11, 2007, 07:23:17 AM
Nice report PHG. Not sure if I'd get close enough to bear scat to see the berries in it! Next person checking it might find your glasses in it... ;) ;D

More likely to get bit by a rattlesnake amongst the berries.....
me -There's a season?

Gofisher

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 11, 2007, 08:16:49 AM
Quote from: Gofisher on September 11, 2007, 07:23:17 AM

More likely to get bit by a rattlesnake amongst the berries.....

....and then the glasses fall off your face into the bear scat....sheesh!
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.