Southern Hospitality (East Tennessee Version)

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 25, 2017, 12:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

2017 – 76

I pulled into the dam parking lot at 2:00, it was about ½ full. The sluicing @275 cfs was an easy wade, but I walked back to the car to get my staff, just in case. It was pretty stacked up for quite far downstream, but I finally squeezed in-between a couple of anglers. I worked the run with the puff daddy, comparaduns, cripples, emergers, I threw everything I had in the box at those picky bastards, sure I caught a bunch of fish, punes they were, but I was after the two bigger fish that I saw occasionally slashing the water at the head of the run. They hit the fly several times, but I couldn't seal the deal. As the afternoon waned to evening, I tied on my last fly of the day, a rusty spinner, and got a hook up or rise on just about every cast.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I walked out and watch a young guy tossing streamers in the fading light, I didn't see him hook up. Back at the weir I paused to send a selfie to the GF and let her know I was on the way home. Then this women (and I use that term loosely, after all this is East TN) came up to me and informed me that I had better not have been taking pictures of her or her family or she was gonna bust my phone! Her daughter had seen me holding the phone up and assumed that I was photographing her and her child as she was unloading the family van as they were setting up to fish on the bank above the weir. Her husband (my assumption) came over and stood beside her, I was outnumbered 3:1 and outweighed about 10:1. Not wanting to rile the natives in the now empty parking lot, I made a quick retreat to my vehicle.

Now at the other end of the lot, the young fisherman came buy the only other car and I asked how he had done with the streamers, not too bad he replied, got one that went about 15" and about a dozen that were smaller. I failed to ask was pattern he was stripping.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Aka

Nicely done.  0:0

You should've let them know you couldn't have taken a picture of them as you don't have a wide angle lens on your phone. Or you could have told the guy that he should bribe her to lose a couple hundred pounds by telling her if she did he'd pay to get her teeth fixed.

Grannyknot

close call woolly.
some of those tri cities hilljacks like to make a man squeal like a piggy.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Dee-Vo

Right on.

Those types of encounters are always nice, aren't they?

ryguy

They probably thought you were from the government.  With the fishing gear as your disguise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dee-Vo on September 25, 2017, 13:10:35 PM
Right on.

Those types of encounters are always nice, aren't they?

it's hard to reason with stupid
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Fishbug

Dumb question of the day:

You buy a yearly TN license or a day license?

Need to get out there one of these days.

jtdriver

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Fishbug on September 26, 2017, 13:03:47 PM
Dumb question of the day:

You buy a yearly TN license or a day license?

Need to get out there one of these days.

I bought one last year. I fished a whole 2 hours while in the state.

Phil

Yearly out-of-state is around $100. 3 day license is around $35. If you're gonna fish anywhere in Tenn. more than 3 trips a year, it's worth it. Still damn expensive either way, though.

Woolly Bugger

I bought the year, attended spring PFF was planning to go to the Fall, but GF has vacation that weekend [emoji106][emoji106]

me -There's a season?

Big J

I usually carry twinkies when I fish over there in TN.  Chuck and run.

Nicely done Woolly.