All That Glitters Ain't Gold; An Arduous Lesson (tR)

Started by Dee-Vo, September 18, 2017, 10:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

Sunday again. A task at hand to complete. A creek that looks as if it should be perfectly steep enough to keep most off of it. Brookie heaven. The thing with map work is that you just never know how water will accumulate, or not. Water just can't form trout holding pools when it never stops or slows. It just falls and slides, ongoing, continuously, forever.

Beside this dude at a light. Had a ton of fly rods fixed to his roof interior. Rock on.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The trail. Steep, but not too long. About .5 miles, however it gains about 325' of elevation in that half-mile or so. Leg burner.

Missing person clues? Gloves and water bottle just sitting aside the trail. Not a person around.

House-sized boulders, long and slick cascades, and hardly any spot for a trout to reside. During the entire climb to the top, I spot 3-4 pools. Nothing more. I hook up with 2 trout and lose both. A third's shadow is seen scurrying along the bottom after I hook it's pal. No reward for this risky work aside from exploring a stretch that has to be void of people for the majority of time.

My greeting. Never changed. Straight up. About 400' or more gain in elevation within half a mile or so. Damn.

30 ft. up.

The top. Finally. A workout. Man made dam?

Lots of laurel love on the way back down. Much more dangerous. 4 times I was sliding down on my backside not knowing for sure where I'd use my feet to stop. Dumb and scary. Several times I was unable to make it back down below the large boulders I was standing on due to several feet of air, and jumping isn't wise. I'd climb up the ridge, and hand limb myself through the rhododendron to get back down the precipice.

A hell of a trek up and back. Maybe the most physically involved creek I've explored. I climbed up and over every obstacle pictured. Many times I thought I should turn around and head back.

Waterfalls will kick your ass.

Until the next escape, later.

Onslow

I've come to the conclusion that anything further then an hour and a half from the house ain't worth fishing.

streamereater_101691

Note to self..if there is a well beaten trail, there's less than a 1% chance of brookie heaven

Damn good scenery though

Dee-Vo

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on September 18, 2017, 14:22:34 PM
Note to self..if there is a well beaten trail, there's less than a 1% chance of brookie heaven

Damn good scenery though

Believe me. There was no trail at all once the creek was reached at the bottom. Nobody has been dumb enough besides me to climb that shit probably.

Quote from: Onslow on September 18, 2017, 14:03:09 PM
I've come to the conclusion that anything further then an hour and a half from the house ain't worth fishing.

No shit. I've yet to really outdo my past experiences by adding mileage.

jwgnc

who, when, how, why in the heck did they build that dam.  I gots ta know
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: jwgnc on September 18, 2017, 19:15:34 PM
who, when, how, why in the heck did they build that dam.  I gots ta know

That's at the top right when the creek starts to fall off of the mountain. I wondered the same.

BrookieHunter

Diggin the Manson  V:;

Maybe the owner of the gloves and fancy water didn't make it back down alive.  8)

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Stone-Man

That is most likely and old mill dam. If you cannot see the mill wheel or sluice , they never set up the mill once the dam was built.  If you had gotten above the dam,you probably would have found a road which might be your next entrance point to that creek.   Anyway,thanks for the report and glad you did not get injured in there.   'c;

JT

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Stone-Man on September 23, 2017, 11:46:37 AM
That is most likely and old mill dam. If you cannot see the mill wheel or sluice , they never set up the mill once the dam was built.  If you had gotten above the dam,you probably would have found a road which might be your next entrance point to that creek.   Anyway,thanks for the report and glad you did not get injured in there.   'c;

JT

The mill dam idea is one that myself and Onslow had mentioned. Once up top, the terrain flattens and it's residential to a certain point. You're probably correct.