News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Asheville Adventures: Turkey and Bringin' home the Bacon!

Started by Woolly Bugger, January 04, 2009, 21:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Meet up with PeterP for some western NC freestone fishing.

The forecast was 90% chance of rain through the night and 80% chance of showers during the day. We were hoping for stained water and were prepared for rain but he sun was just coming out when we hit the stream and we decided to leave the rain gear behind. The water was crystal and the morning started of slowly but Peter managed to pick up a few and broke off with another one. We hiked up to another spot on the stream and I finally hooked a nice brown well over 20 inches. It ran up to the next pool and then back down across the stream. The drag was screaming and I wasn't sure if I could get the fish under control. I tried to keep it in the pool where I hooked it but it slipped into the fast water and shot off downstream headed for disaster. There was a tree across the stream and it was headed under it. I was making plans to shoot under to follow the fish but it turned and held in and eddy. I applied some more pressure to hold the fish but the hook finally popped free. My heart was pounding and the adrenalin was flowing as I watched the line go slack.

I waited a while before moving on upstream to join Peter. He pointed out a pod of fish and after changing flies a few times I stuck a couple of brookies and some rainbows too.

We took a short break and then headed back down to where we started the day. I moved on up a ways and saw a coupled of big bows feeding at the tail of a run. I tied on a red thread midge pattern and shortly had one on the line. I put a good bend in the Limestone bamboo rod but just as I was reaching for the net it broke off. Looked like knot failure. After fishing a number of fish it finally gave up. I tied on another midge and began casting for the other fish. It slashed at the nymph as it rose in the water column and after a half dozen cast it finally took the fly and I set the hook. The fish just held in its hole at the end of the run and I called to Peter that I would need help netting this fish! I finally ran up stream and then back down towards me. I ran down the stream as Peter got out of the way and then the fish tried to get under a rock but side pressure got it to run under an overhanging tree. I pulled it out from there and then PeterP deftly swooped and netted the fish.

While I was rigging up another fly, Peter stepped up to the plate and caught another nice bow from the same run. The fish put up a noble fight but after a few minutes Peter was able to net the fish.

After taking some pictures we both agreed that this was the way to end the day. We hiked back to the car with grins on our faces.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flyfish_va

Sweet fish woolly, takes alot to make me jelous...you did right there!
Im gonna have to buy my NC lisence and start tagging along if you keep post fish like that....

peter p

Nothing is worse then trying to net some else's monster fish.  I was more nervous then a virgin on prom night. 

PS  Sorry for the bad picture!!  It doesn't do that fish justice.
Peter

9ft4wt

slickrocktom

wow  nice fish.      someone had a killer day

flyfish_va

jkilday4

Re 'knot failure' - not the Davey Knot this time, I presume?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: jkilday4 on January 05, 2009, 10:09:40 AM
Re 'knot failure' - not the Davey Knot this time, I presume?

no.. the pitzen.... most likely worn tippet was the culprit...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

WRector

There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

TROUTMASTER3000

Anything is possible with will, determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
AMERICA RULES

lepomis_mcro

that is a great looking fish.. i bet he pulled for all he was worth
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

walt

nice fishies.... glad ya'll had a good time.  0--0

wally
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

Z-Man

Look at WB's eyes - they are as big as the Bow's.   :o

Nice fishy!!!  Wow
Z-Man

In the great outdoors your soul expands to the horizon!

9ft4wt

Quote from: Z-Man on January 05, 2009, 13:41:31 PM
Look at WB's eyes - they are as big as the Bow's.   :o

Yeah, but did you notice how big his pupil's are in relation? ;D

9ft4wt

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?