Article on Thomas Whiting and Whiting Farms

Started by Silver Creek, November 27, 2017, 10:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Creek

Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

JMiller

From the article:

QuoteAsk an everyday angler and he'll likely tell you that part of the allure of fly-fishing is the challenge of figuring out which store-bought fly in his box will catch a trout's eye. But ask an avid angler and she'll probably say the challenge begins well before she ever hits the river, when she's selecting the materials she'll use to design her own new fly patterns.

What's the deal with the gender change of the random hypothetical angler?
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: JMiller on November 27, 2017, 12:02:36 PM
From the article:

QuoteAsk an everyday angler and he'll likely tell you that part of the allure of fly-fishing is the challenge of figuring out which store-bought fly in his box will catch a trout's eye. But ask an avid angler and she'll probably say the challenge begins well before she ever hits the river, when she's selecting the materials she'll use to design her own new fly patterns.

What's the deal with the gender change of the random hypothetical angler?

Check out the author.  The "gender change" is, I hope, a subtle jab at a male dominated activity.  I love this sort of shot!  Male "everyday angler" vs female "avid angler"  --- rich!!! 

http://www.katesiber.com/

PS:  I do something similar when discussing god with some of the overzealous religious.    Refer to their deity as a she --- heads sometimes spin.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

"Male dominated" implies a conspiracy exists to suppress female participation.  I suspect male participation is higher among males simply because more males are interested in outdoor exploration. 

I can't get my wife to float down a river with me.  I rarely can talk her into doing even a short hike at Doughton, or Stone Mt..  I, or the outdoors cannot compete against Downton Abby, 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle, or a medieval history book.

Hiner, you're clearly bored. and I can assure you there is nothing up that tree.  You're acting like a bewildered beagle.

rbphoto

Quote from: Onslow on November 28, 2017, 06:12:06 AM
"Male dominated" implies a conspiracy exists to suppress female participation.  I suspect male participation is higher among males simply because more males are interested in outdoor exploration. 

I can't get my wife to float down a river with me.  I rarely can talk her into doing even a short hike at Doughton, or Stone Mt..  I, or the outdoors cannot compete against Downton Abby, 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle, or a medieval history book.

Hiner, you're clearly bored. and I can assure you there is nothing up that tree.  You're acting like a bewildered beagle.

'c;

'c;

'c;

"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on November 28, 2017, 06:12:06 AM

"Male dominated" does not imply conspiracy, you Carolinian clodpate!

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/male-dominated

The reason your wife will not accompany you in outdoor adventures is not because the outdoors cannot compete.  It is the same reason my wife very seldom goes exploring with me.  They both are wearily exhausted when it comes to our sorry asses.  The reason they go to town, or imbed themselves in a puzzle or good book is because we are not there!  Our doctrinaire macho bullshit aura trumps any allure of the great outdoors.  Now the outdoors, with male companionship, can compete for a female's attention IF the right milksop is involved.  Use our Boss Man or Al as examples; they either have a tender, understanding side when accompanying females afield or they are hung like circus ponies.   I am neither tender nor endowed, so I have no chance.

I emailed Kate and she said most outdoorsy men are real pricks.  I could not dispute.

And of course "male participation is higher among males", unless we're talking about some of the eunuchs on this forum, then it becomes a bit cloudy.  Until J starts dressing himself, I ain't sure I am fishing with a dude.  It can be very confusing.     

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on November 28, 2017, 08:31:40 AM
Until J starts dressing himself, I ain't sure I am fishing with a dude.  It can be very confusing.   

I can dress myself just fine if I do say so myself.

JMiller

I find your last post very sexist Mudwall.
Women are just as capable as men of being unreasonable,  unsympathetic, and generally unkind or unpleasant to be around. They just have different ways of expressing it. Many men go to the outdoors chiefly to avoid women at home, or Downton Abbey (which Ive seen, it's not bad really), or inane church gossip or whatever. Sometimes people just have different interests.

Most people don't fully appreciate the outdoors because they know they are likely to experience periods of discomfort of one kind or another, and if given the option they'd rather not have that experience. We can argue about why males are more willing to subject themselves to such events, but we'd quickly end up in a useless nature/nurture vortex. Shooting stuff and hooking live animals in the face is basically barbaric, so it probably goes back to basic, Homo erectus troop programming.

Going back to the original post I made about the article, I guess the greater point is that no one is even talking about the article's content, which might have been interesting, but has otherwise been forgotten because of the gender stunt(?), which might just be a sign of the times I don't know, but has ultimately detracted from the actual topic.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: JMiller on November 28, 2017, 09:20:48 AM
I find your last post very sexist Mudwall.
Women are just as capable as men of being unreasonable,  unsympathetic, and generally unkind or unpleasant to be around. They just have different ways of expressing it. Many men go to the outdoors chiefly to avoid women at home, or Downton Abbey (which Ive seen, it's not bad really), or inane church gossip or whatever. Sometimes people just have different interests.

Most people don't fully appreciate the outdoors because they know they are likely to experience periods of discomfort of one kind or another, and if given the option they'd rather not have that experience. We can argue about why males are more willing to subject themselves to such events, but we'd quickly end up in a useless nature/nurture vortex. Shooting stuff and hooking live animals in the face is basically barbaric, so it probably goes back to basic, Homo erectus troop programming.

Going back to the original post I made about the article, I guess the greater point is that no one is even talking about the article's content, which might have been interesting, but has otherwise been forgotten because of the gender stunt(?), which might just be a sign of the times I don't know, but has ultimately detracted from the actual topic.

Globally empowering women, as I've said many times before, would unravel the riddle.  As for being "detracted from the actual topic", women have been responsible for undermining our train of thought since the beginning of time.  The evolutionary process has dealt use some bad hands.

As for my last post being sexist, hell yes, it was sexist!  Until the liberation and enablement pendulum reaches some sort of equilibrium for gender and skin pigment, I will continue to be sexist against my own masculinity and racist against my own whiteness. 

You asked the question "What's the deal with the gender change of the random hypothetical angler?", so you were the original detracted.  My hypothesis is just that, simply a proposition.   Who knows what Kate was thinking?

Charge ahead -- discuss Whiting hackles. 

Dougfish

I'm cool with the women fishing, hunting, camping, etc.
When the day arrives that reveals they fart and snore just like us, is when the shine comes off the rose.
Men have never been the rose.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

itieuglyflies

You guys (?) make my day.....as I just just read the article as about a non fisherman that loves roosters

Beetle

JMiller

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on November 28, 2017, 10:27:23 AM

As for my last post being sexist, hell yes, it was sexist!  Until the liberation and enablement pendulum reaches some sort of equilibrium for gender and skin pigment, I will continue to be sexist against my own masculinity and racist against my own whiteness. 

Derp.
You missed the point. You're not being sexist against your own masculinity. You're being sexist against women by denying their ability to be the same assholes men are. It's textbook patriarchy.

BTW, the admitted self-loathing explains quite a bit.

The rest of the article... not bad.

― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: JMiller on November 28, 2017, 11:23:39 AM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on November 28, 2017, 10:27:23 AM

Derp.
You missed the point. You're not being sexist against your own masculinity. You're being sexist against women by denying their ability to be the same assholes men are. It's textbook patriarchy.

BTW, the admitted self-loathing explains quite a bit.

The rest of the article... not bad.

I miss many points and very often at that.  Maybe I've lived a sheltered life but women assholes always seemed different than male assholes, but never equal.  I apologize for being textbook patriarchal. 

Did I miss another point?  Are you saying I am self-loathing?  No, I just understand that I am not the center of the universe or even hold a privileged position in my own little domain.

Beetle, there's no need to bring fictional characters like god ("OMG") or Dieter into the discussion.  Flip a coin to see if they will respond.  Sorry, there is no cure for tiresome other than shunning; I don't mind being shunned.   

I really enjoy discussions with you guys – makes me think.

Peace, you peckerwoods!