News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

PLC land purchase in Surry Co.

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 02, 2019, 09:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

PLC acquires 276 acres along the slopes of Fishers Peak, Surry County's highest point.
New addition brings total holdings at Fishers Peak to over 2,000 acres.
Property also includes headwater streams to the Little Fisher River.

Piedmont Land Conservancy has purchased 276 acres of forestland and fields along the slopes of Fishers Peak in northwest Surry County.

In addition to protecting significant ecological and water quality values, the Fishers Peak area provides a scenic backdrop to the nationally-renowned Blue Ridge Music Center located on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The recently acquired tract contains nearly two miles of headwater streams to the Little Fisher River and Fisher River. The river originates near the highest point at Fishers Peak and drains in a southerly direction until it connects with the Yadkin River.

The Fishers Peak project represents one of the largest conservation initiatives the Conservancy has ever pursued. Funding from private individuals allowed for the most recent purchase. The sellers, Pat and Baldwin Smith of Kernersville, sold at a discounted value to see their beloved land protected.

Long term plans for the site have not yet been finalized. The Conservancy will own and manage the land pursuant to its conservation mission for the foreseeable future. The property is not open to the public at this time.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!