News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith River Recon

Started by Woolly Bugger, April 15, 2012, 04:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

tomato can, gamatt53, phyphisher and I did a recon float on the lower Smith Saturday.

I spent the morning organizing the fly boxes and sipping coffee at Krankies.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I not entirely sure who organized this but I got a call from phyfisher last week, not one to turn down any fishing invite I signed up. The plan was to meed at the lauch at noon and fish our way down river to the Smith River Sports Complex, yea I didn't know there was a "Sports Complex" in Martinsville either. Now both the launch and take out have ramps down to the water but both of them are blocked with a locked post in the center of the lane.  b'; Not sure what the rational behind that is. But, with a little lifting and toting we got tomato can's raft and gamatt53's Bi-Yak down to the water.

The day had started off cloudy and cool, but as soon as we began the drift the sun came out, the sky cleared and the temps soared.

Fishing was a little on the slow side, but phyphisher got a one to roll early on and anther bump in a spot where gamatt and he got out to wade. Mostly the water is deep slow pools but there are occasional rapids and a number of good wading opportunities on the first half of the float. One of the cool features of the Bi-Yak is that the pontoons hold four, yes, four coolers and gamatt took advantage of that by taking along some Dale's Pale Ale  0:0

About half way through the float, after I had changed to a yellow articulated fly, I got an eat. The fly was down about three feet or so and I was stripping slowly when the brown trout came up from the depths and hammered the fly.

Since we weren't sure how long it was going to take or exactly how far we had come, we pushed on downstream.

A few sulfurs were popping off and we saw a couple of fish rise, but overall there weren't a lot of bugs on the water. phyphisher was checking rocks for nymphs when he found these eggs. We figured  Mudwall might know what they are.

We got to the take out around 7:30 and by the time we got everything loaded up it was headed toward dusk.

Good times, it was great meeting a couple more BRFFFers and now that we know a little more about the Smith we may end up doing it again!

-0- -0-

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

tomato can

Good times gentlemen.  I can still picture that brown charging that yellow fliy in my own highlite reel.  Still stunned at how beautiful the Smith was through that section. Once again, Plyphisher and I stopped to get something to eat and HE left his wallet at home.  That boy can EAT and run up a TAB.   I got home around 11:00 pm and The One Who Must Be Obeyed was still up and wondered why I did not call....

Big J

Looks like you all had a good time.  Nice brown woolly. 

Tomato Can, hopefully your wife wasn't too upset....Because I do believe the smallie action on the James is picking up.....and I get off work at 5 on Monday Wednesday and Friday.......  8)

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: tomato can on April 15, 2012, 07:02:47 AM
Once again, Plyphisher and I stopped to get something to eat and HE left his wallet at home.  That boy can EAT and run up a TAB.   

now, I'm really glad you didn't take me up on my offer to drive him back...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Sorry boys, I don't have any idea on the eggs.  My guess would be snails. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

phlyfisher

Good times gentlemen.  I can still picture that brown charging that yellow fliy in my own highlite reel.  Still stunned at how beautiful the Smith was through that section. Once again, Plyphisher and I stopped to get something to eat and HE left his wallet at home.  That boy can EAT and run up a TAB.   I got home around 11:00 pm and The One Who Must Be Obeyed was still up and wondered why I did not call....

whooaaa now, my wallet was in the back of the car, i seem to remmember someone not letting me get out to retrieve it  b'; again like i siad, your just digging yourself into getting a really expensive bottle of likker, ask petey he knows. had a great time, hope to do it again very soon  -0- next time i think the honey hole is in order
live action
FB@Ohio Fly Fishing

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Nope, I don't think they are snail eggs.  I think they are attached fish eggs (Dace, Darter, or ?).
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

phlyfisher

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on April 15, 2012, 10:22:47 AM
Nope, I don't think they are snail eggs.  I think they are attached fish eggs (Dace, Darter, or ?).

whatever they were im pretty sure woolly used them to catch that fish. i saw him ripping apart some mesh and filling them up with something yellow  :-\.
by the way woolly, that brown he looks more 14-16" to me  :-*

live action
FB@Ohio Fly Fishing

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: phlyfisher on April 15, 2012, 10:43:12 AM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on April 15, 2012, 10:22:47 AM

whatever they were im pretty sure woolly used them to catch that fish. i saw him ripping apart some mesh and filling them up with something yellow  :-\.
by the way woolly, that brown he looks more 14-16" to me  :-*

naw, it was streamside measured....

jis say'in
me -There's a season?

Holmes

Really expensive bottle of liquor, mclovin? You got that 350 ml of hennessey with that fake I.D. fo 10 dollars.

When we goin fishin?
Holla i got da ride,

Quote from: phlyfisher on April 15, 2012, 09:42:08 AM

whooaaa now, my wallet was in the back of the car, i seem to remmember someone not letting me get out to retrieve it  b'; again like i siad, your just digging yourself into getting a really expensive bottle of likker, ask petey he knows. had a great time, hope to do it again very soon  -0- next time i think the honey hole is in order

benben reincarnated

Dats' some good chit Woolly.    'c;

Woolly Bugger

[attach=1]

this is the fly he ate....
:o -0- -+; V:; /"\ d:b
me -There's a season?

gamatt53

I enjoyed it gentlemen was nice to check out a new to me section of river and finally put some faces to handles.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: gamatt53 on April 15, 2012, 19:12:03 PM
I enjoyed it gentlemen was nice to check out a new to me section of river and finally put some faces to handles.

for sure, Tomato Can looks nothing like his Avatar
me -There's a season?

FoulHook

Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.