News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

The Gravel Bar / Re: Trump Sucks
Last post by Onslow - April 03, 2024, 05:15:39 AM
The burning question is, which brand of disposable undergarments will they choose?

Will Trump call his brand Puddin Leg Patriots?

Will Biden create an inclusive brand that accepts all colors?
The Gravel Bar / Re: Cool Tool
Last post by Onslow - April 03, 2024, 05:05:35 AM
Quote from: Big J on April 02, 2024, 07:38:13 AM
Quote from: driver on April 01, 2024, 19:20:27 PMI think Orvis has always been the biggest tool on the stream

You ever seen a W&L fly fishing club member?  They usually are easy to spot because they are kitted out in brand new patagonia or Orvis from head to toe.

Do these peeps pass wind in this apparel?
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 02, 2024, 20:25:41 PM

#24 -- 33 

I took a load of trout to the raptor center in the morning. They were well received by the technicians, who were especially glad to have some fish for the birds as they were completely out. After heading back home and fixing lunch I headed up the rod to the Smith. I skipped over some spots and saw a raft coming out of River Walk as I headed up the road to fish the ramp run.
As I was gearing up Matt of Lucky Strips Guide Service pulls up and starts chatting me up. He had just finished a 1/2 day spin trip from RW to GR and was just checking things out.

In the waster I swung up a couple of punes but they weren't really looking up or that little extra 80 cfs push was having a negative effect. I got a bunch of grabs as I worked down to the bottom of the run. I refused to nymph, but that would have been a better choice that day.

#24 -- 34 low 80s, cloudy, sunny, partly cloudy and windy early but calm in the evening.

Howard and Howard were fishing down low. I started way upstream from them and swung for a while without any hookups but after about an hour I observed some fish rising to unseen bugs, and I swung them up. They were about 8 inches and I thought about harvesting some for the birds, but they were just too pretty to bonk.

Moving on down, casting the 2 wt. I hooked some better fish, some pushing 11 inches, along with more of the usual smaller fish.

After catching 8 or 9, I took a beer break at the LH bench and Howard the Short came by and we chatted for a while, he and Howard the Tall had caught "about 8 apiece" and were just about done for the day. I stepped into the run and swung up some decent fish there too. Then Howard the Tall stopped by and we talked for a bit before he headed up the trail.

I moved on down to the T pool where things appeared to be a bit slower. I missed a fish or two, but then had a hard take and I stripped in the best fish of the day.

Local Trip Reports / Mm Yeah
Last post by Onslow - April 02, 2024, 15:42:37 PM

Tranny has been defiling my locals over the holidays.  Headed off to a stream I know he would not fish.  This stream has been featured many times in my TRs, and the stream treats me very well.

Today, I planned on pushing up closer to the Parkway. This was also the first time ever fishing earlier than 1PM.

Slow it was.  Just terrible. Managed just a couple browns and brookies by the time I ascended the first escarpment.

Ray of hope

You cannot view this attachment.

There some low gradient water between the two high gradient sections.  Finally, some catching.

Now I was in new territory.

Way out in the outback, still the footprints of others b';

As the creek became plunge pool again, the fishing went south.

Obstruction

Nope, headed to the steep slopes to flank.

Perfect 10 hole, but zero bite.

The sky was looking funky. Considering how far back in the bush I was, and how piss poor the fishing had become, I chose to not press up escarpment #2.

Had to hoof it down the stream a good ways, picked up an old logging path, but it broke off due to a landslide.  Walked a bit high in the open hardwood, then picked up a logging path again.  Took an 1 and 15 to exit.

I'm very concerned about the increased traffic on this stream.  Welp, it was good while it lasted.

Last post by Phil - April 02, 2024, 15:29:17 PM
Reverse snobbery. :P
Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - April 02, 2024, 10:52:32 AM
Quote from: driver on April 01, 2024, 19:20:27 PMI think Orvis has always been the biggest tool on the stream

Measuring toolness on the stream is an individual extent, depending on how someone calibrates their toolometer and how well they've maintained the frit on the probe.  Personally, my toolometer is calibrated to detect the use of beads on flies and which hand is used during retrieve.  Orvisness is only detected after these 2 parameters are uncovered. 
Last post by Big J - April 02, 2024, 07:38:13 AM

You ever seen a W&L fly fishing club member?  They usually are easy to spot because they are kitted out in brand new patagonia or Orvis from head to toe.
Last post by streamereater_101691 - April 01, 2024, 20:03:10 PM
Quote from: joe friday on March 09, 2024, 13:07:01 PMThere seems to be a void of leadership in both parties and a high level of graft across the board.

:bow
The Gravel Bar / Re: What a game!
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 01, 2024, 19:58:27 PM
Good luck — I'm not a gambler so will not participate
Last post by trout-r-us - April 01, 2024, 19:50:57 PM