News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Little help carp people...

Started by flatlander, April 17, 2012, 14:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatlander

My boss has a fairly good size pond with some sort of carp that are  between 3-4 feet long.  A couple of years ago, while tossing popping bugs to the bass, a pair of them began cruising around the surface like tarpon.  I shot a longish cast out in front of them with a popping bug just to see what they'd do, and damn if one didn't roll and try to eat it off the surface.  I pricked him, but didn't get the hook set, which was just as well because it would have been a real mess with the 5 wt I was using.

So my question is, what sort of fly will they eat when they're cruising just below the surface?  The pond stays pretty muddy, so trying to find them and feed them on the bottom seems sketchy at best.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Chum with one, followed by the other.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Beetle

These sound like Asian grass carp- not your standard local fare.

I have found that they see very well and also "feel" very well.   Walking around doesn't help nor do big leaders/tippets.

Have had them eat EHCaddis, Woolly buggers and damsel fly nymphs.   Have tried a lot of "green" stuff to mimic grass with no luck.   

I'd stick with big, hairy bugs and stay away from foam.

flatlander

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on April 17, 2012, 15:00:38 PM
Chum with one, followed by the other.

White or whole wheat?  Do I chum them up with a whole loaf first?  ;D

bullship

They're definitely grass carp. I've had very little luck but have caught a few.The ones i went after were spooky as hell and non aggressive, and the few times i got them to eat was because they felt like it i guess. A pond might have hungrier and dumber fish than a lake, so if they ate once, then try again. You can chum if you want to be lazy about it, but there's really not much fun in a grass carp after you hook it.....angry boat anchor. Getting them to eat is the shiznit though.
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

WRector

I found some monster grass carp down here in Columbia at the confluence of Saluda and Broad.  Talking easily 30 - 40 lbs.  Couldn't get them to hit a lick this past summer.  Hoping I can come up with something they might be interested in this year.  When I found them last year they were cruising in circles and spooky as hell.  Guessing they were on some kind of spawning run.

Flat I feel your angst.  They look like they would be fun as hell to tie in to. 

I'm hoping to get tied into one with the 9 wt this summer to see how much damage I can do in the shallow water.

Looking forward to seeing what the Carp experts have for ideas on flies as well.
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

snagaluffaguss

Sounds Like Grass Carp

Texas Caddis is the way to go...

they cant refuse it.

[attach=1]

Transylwader

I spent many a painful afternoon in England coaxing grassies (did catch several mind), they are snooty buggers sometimes and can be really hard to catch. Harvey (Carolina Fly) has me hooked again (the bastard). Saw some cruisers and put the fly right on the buggers noses, spooked a good few before I got one to commit. Used a deer hair fly that looked like bread, it's buoyant as all heck, perfect. Alas, I didn't land him. Harvey went back a few days later and came up with this...

Now If only my work car had some space to accommodate the 7'6" 6wt beast rod, I could go give one the smacketh down at lunch. Then again, I'll get bitched at for coming back to the office smelling and looking like shit...but I vow to take down at least a 35"er before the end of this year 8)
I am no carp expert, just a dyed in the wool dumbass who loves to catch anything that swims, but these boys will really get your adrenaline going
Both pix are Carolina Fly's (c)

NewTyer1

I have only had the opportunity to catch one carp but, as far as being a boat anchor, the thing kept me on edge for 25 minutes. It was a 10#er and I was using a 5wt with small tippet and really had to let him run at his will. As soon as you thought you had him ashore, it would make another run to the other side of the pond and I was in to my backing 2 or 3 times. I chummed them with bread and on a tiny hook I put a small piece of bread so it would float with the other pieces and then it was only a matter of time before they wittled down to my piece. It was one of the best fish I have caught to date.
Scott
Military Police Officer
Iraq Veteran 08-09
National Registry EMT

tomato can

I like the way you roll newtyer1.