Unlimited Fly Fishing News and Articles...

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 01, 2019, 12:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Pandemic Crowds Bring 'Rivergeddon' to Montana's Rivers
As urbanites flock to forests and rivers to escape coronavirus threats, trailheads are cramped with parked cars and fishing on the Madison River is like a Disneyland ride.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Trail head parking nightmare

>>>BOZEMAN, Mont. — The Madison River rushes down out of the snows and springs atop the Yellowstone plateau, a dark blue, rock-studded, world-class fishing stream.

The fishing season is nearly finished, but a season of discontent continues. Throughout the summer and fall, there have been traffic jams on the river, and the number of large fish has declined.

"You're in a flotilla with five boats in front of you and five in back of you," said Carl Hamming, a board member of a local chapter of Trout Unlimited, which wants to limit commercial guides on the river. "It seems like everyone was flocking to Montana this summer," he said.

https://nyti.ms/35VEcyH

Note: If they keep going in that direction the Madison will soon be as crowded as the South Holston! jis say'in
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

>>>The long-whispered-about purchase of the South Fork Lodge in Swan Valley was completed this summer.
Jimmy Kimmel, Oliver White buy South Fork Lodge

Comedian and late night TV host Jimmy Kimmel of "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" purchased the famed property on the South Fork of the Snake River in June with partner and well-known guide Oliver White. The lodge is situated on a stunning bend in the South Fork of the Snake River just off U.S. Highway 26.

The purchase price could not be determined but the 25.83-acre property was listed for $7.95 million.

https://www.postregister.com/news/local/jimmy-kimmel-oliver-white-buy-south-fork-lodge/article_41fb1780-887c-53be-a8ab-27fee7df708a.html
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 23, 2020, 09:23:47 AMPandemic Crowds Bring 'Rivergeddon' to Montana's Rivers
As urbanites flock to forests and rivers to escape coronavirus threats, trailheads are cramped with parked cars and fishing on the Madison River is like a Disneyland ride.

Trail head parking nightmare

>>>BOZEMAN, Mont. — The Madison River rushes down out of the snows and springs atop the Yellowstone plateau, a dark blue, rock-studded, world-class fishing stream.

The fishing season is nearly finished, but a season of discontent continues. Throughout the summer and fall, there have been traffic jams on the river, and the number of large fish has declined.

"You're in a flotilla with five boats in front of you and five in back of you," said Carl Hamming, a board member of a local chapter of Trout Unlimited, which wants to limit commercial guides on the river. "It seems like everyone was flocking to Montana this summer," he said.

https://nyti.ms/35VEcyH

Note: If they keep going in that direction the Madison will soon be as crowded as the South Holston! jis say'in

The TV series Yellowstone probably isn't helping either.

Woolly Bugger

The Ernest Hemingway Inshore Collection.

Saltwater bamboo fly rods, reels, stand-up paddle boards, and inshore fishing boats.

Fine inshore saltwater fishing equipment inspired by the man that started it all

https://ernesthemingwayinshore.com/

Fly-Fishing the Ernest Hemingway Way

A new fly-fishing heritage collection inspired by the 'Old Man and the Sea' author's favored gear lets anglers cast lines like the legend

>>> WHEN ERNEST Hemingway's well-worn steamer trunk containing his fly-fishing gear disappeared from a train bound for Sun Valley, Idaho, in 1940, the loss was so crushing that the author never again waded in the shallows. Instead, he concentrated his angling efforts far offshore, catching record-breaking pelagics like sailfish and marlin.

The trunk's disappearance also "shook" the family, said his great-grandson Patrick Hemingway Adams, who is helping launch the Hemingway Inshore Collection of rods, reels, inshore boats and more designed after the old man's heart.

Debuting Dec. 1, the handcrafted 9-weight fly reels ($1,200, ernesthemingwayinshore.com) are machined by Everol, an Italian brand favored by the author for their performance and durability. Each comes in a mahogany box packed in freshly planed wood shavings, smelling the way you'd expect anything "Hemingway" to smell: earthy, warm, woodsy.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fly-fishing-the-ernest-hemingway-way-11606403239
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

>>>Formerly known as Highland Outfitters, Boone's Fly Shop is located on the second floor suite of a refurbished and old antique building at 140 S. Depot St., Highland Outfitters is a full-service company ready to supply all of your fishing gear needs and put you on the water with experienced guides. Some of the prime fly-fishing rivers and streams serviced by the company are found in Linville, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk and Boone as well as the Watauga and the South Holston Rivers in Tennessee.

Owner Alex Dale found success with his Highland Outfitters store originally located in Linville. Then, he started a second business with the Foscoe Fishing Company located on Rte. 105 outside of Boone, which is still in business. Then, when he found out that this prime piece of real estate was open to rent in downtown Boone, he decided to take a leap and move his Highland Outfitters operation to the downtown area where the tourists and potential fly-fishing enthusiasts are thick, especially during the holiday months.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/fly-fishing-in-the-high-countrys-winter/article_e8af3e6d-53fc-542a-8b9d-24a52a9dc0c3.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

One-On-One With Orvis President Simon Perkins

>>>With fishing license sales up across the country, angling gear companies have been reeling in sales during the pandemic, helping fuel both participation and the continued protection of our natural resources.

SGB Executive caught up with Orvis President Simon Perkins for his take on how the business has evolved during the pandemic, its growing apparel business, DEI initiatives, conservation battles, hiring a new product director, and how working as a fishing guide in Montana for a decade has helped him run one of the industry's top brands.

• How did 2020 go for Orvis during the pandemic?
  • What have been the biggest hurdles you've had to overcome?
  • Why has flyfishing grown so much this past year?
  • Orvis has a new Chief Product Officer. What does it mean for the brand, and what can consumers expect down the line?
  • What's Orvis' breakdown between hardgoods and apparel sales? Do you envision venturing more into apparel?

https://sgbonline.com/one-on-one-with-orvis-president-simon-perkins/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

That damn movie, you know which one I'm talking about, is still attracting more people to OUR sport.... that and the damn pandamic...

Fly fishing school left me tied in knots
If Brad Pitt weren't so darn handsome we could have skipped this midlife crisis.

>>> worry that may come across as bragging, or degree-shaming. But please know that this diploma attests that I "possess the skills and knowledge necessary to enjoy a lifetime of fly fishing," and I'm now fairly certain that a lifetime of fly fishing is one of those chronic diseases that are probably best to avoid, like leprosy or golf.

No, this certificate is nothing more than written proof of a midlife crisis, one I can now see was triggered by a willful denial of failing eyesight, the ridiculous male desire to pursue simple pleasures in painfully complicated ways, and an undeniable attraction to Brad Pitt. It is also a reminder of the $399 I owe my credit card company for the class.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/05/04/metro/fly-fishing-school-left-me-tied-knots/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I Went To The Woods: Getting down to it
You're here to catch a steelhead, not to fit in.

>>>You fish down to the end of the section and battle a little shaker trout for a few seconds before it comes off. You start walking back down the river feeling like you've spent most of the day tying knots, switching tips, leaders and hiking. Now you're back to where you started and you're hungry. For food. Food for steelhead. For a spoon.

https://www.juneauempire.com/news/i-went-to-the-woods-getting-down-to-it/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Celebrating a Life Outdoors: Leigh H. Perkins, 1927-2021

>>> Leigh H. Perkins, who purchased The Orvis Company in 1965 and over the next three decades transformed it into one of the country's most respected sporting, apparel, and dog brands, passed away at the age of 93 on May 7, 2021, in Monticello, Florida.

Although he built his reputation as a shrewd businessman and marketer, Leigh was most at home wading in a trout stream or walking behind a bird dog in the field. He was a lifelong outdoorsman who hunted or fished more than 250 days a year into his 90s, and his reverence for nature was at the heart of his drive to conserve land and water resources for future generations.

https://news.orvis.com/uncategorized/celebrating-a-life-outdoors-leigh-h-perkins-1927-2021
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Wilderness trout removal project stalls pending review

>>>A project to remove rainbow trout from a wilderness stream to protect native cutthroat trout in Yellowstone National Park is being postponed following delays generated by Montana legislation and a re-examination of fisheries statutes.

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks — in collaboration with the Custer Gallatin National Forest and the National Park Service — had proposed beginning to remove rainbow trout from Buffalo Creek in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness this summer. The project called for applying chemicals to kill the fish. The stream would eventually be restocked with native cutthroat.

https://billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/recreation/wilderness-trout-removal-project-stalls-pending-review/article_cb36cec7-c0e8-5be8-9986-a9a193a82266.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

To Fish These Big Trout, Bring a Ladder
Landing the highly coveted Lahontan cutthroat trout requires special skill — and equipment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/27/sports/lahontan-trout-pyramid-lake.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/mountainriver

This Film Explores the History of the Esopus Creek and Ashokan Reservoir

>>>A local documentary filmmaker teams up with Ulster County fly fishermen to tell the story of the Hudson River tributary in Mountain River.
In the middle of the Catskills runs a 65-mile Hudson tributary with a fascinating history.

The Esopus Creek, which flows across Ulster County, takes its name from the Esopus tribe of the Lenape. This community lived on the lower half of the creek when the Dutch settled in the Hudson Valley in the early 1600s. Today, fly fishers flock to the Esopus Creek every spring and summer. This important body of water has captivated historians, artists, and environmentalists alike.

https://hvmag.com/life-style/history/esopus-creek-mountain-river-documentary/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Fly fishing shop, guide service opens in Salem

Anew full-service fly shop and guide service has opened in Salem.

Carter Fishing Company specializes in fly fishing, offering customers the clothes, rods and reels necessary to head out to the water on their own or customized, guided trips if they want to bring an expert along.

Jeremy Carter, a Salem native, has experience working as a guide in North Carolina and Colorado — Carter actually met his wife when he was her guide on a fishing trip in Colorado.

A few years after returning to his hometown, Carter decided to open a local business to serve his own community.

"I've always felt like there was a need for it within the fly fishing community. We're right in the middle of some of the best fishing I think really in the country," he said.

https://roanoke.com/business/local/business-intel-fly-fishing-shop-guide-service-opens-in-salem/article_14c18842-ce12-11eb-b003-73e72ab75890.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Death of a fly-fishing hero: John Maclean writes the history behind 'A River Runs Through It'

>>>"After you have finished your true stories sometime, why don't you make up a story and the people to go with it? Only then will you understand what happened and why. It is those we live with and love and should know who elude us." — "A River Runs Through It and Other Stories," by Norman Maclean

Almost salmon-like in its brawny proportions, the 7- to 8-pound rainbow trout John Maclean reeled in while fishing the Blackfoot River left him awestruck.

"I'd never seen a Blackfoot rainbow that big before, never," he wrote of the catch-and-release experience for a magazine article.

The story was read by an editor for HarperCollins Publishers who contacted Maclean and asked if he would consider expanding the article into a book about his well-known family and its ties to Montana.

New book
Recently released, "Home Waters, A Chronicle of Family and a River" delves into the background of what is the most famous Montana fishing story ever written — "A River Runs Through It and Other Stories," published in 1976. Written by Maclean's father, University of Chicago English professor Norman Maclean, "A River Runs Through It" has attained cult status.
"The book just grew from no initial plan to what it eventually became," the 78-year-old author said in a recent telephone interview. "I call it a chronicle."

https://billingsgazette.com/outdoors/death-of-a-fly-fishing-hero-john-maclean-writes-the-history-behind-a-river-runs/article_9a763e49-8f00-529a-8cb9-486015db9e87.html
me -There's a season?