1990 Miata - What should I do????

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 10, 2006, 18:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Restore the Whole Car? or not

Sure, go ahead and get it painted...
2 (15.4%)
Are you #$%&ing crazy? Hell NO!
6 (46.2%)
You've got to be kidding, this is a no brainer....
0 (0%)
Call Click and Clacket for a second opinion
1 (7.7%)
Let's see with $3,500 I'd be chasing trout in the Patagonia..New Zeland or Bonefish in the Bahamas!
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Woolly Bugger

My 1990 Miata is in sad shape the paint is peeling and faded all around, but there is some body damage to the Right Front  Fender which needs to be replaced anyway.

If they take the car apart and paint the whole thing (Remove doors, hood, trunk, fenders etc.) and give it a top quality paint job it's going to run $3,500.

The car has 112k miles and the AC is the old style so when it goes it will have to be completely replaced  :'( ching, ching...

Now as my wife pointed out this is the car in which I proposed to her, so it has sentimental value....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

tw5270

Sell it. Go on a dinner date, re-live the proposal, then sel the car and put the money into another car. OR...get a second quote, hopefully lower and get the air fixed now. I always have a hard time letting go of cars myself.

richard bernabe

Sell it and buy a Toyota Prius.  Seriously.

troutphisher

Park it on steep mountain trail, making sure there is several  thick trunked trees approx 1000 ft down.
Leave the parking break off, and walk way. Call your insurance agent an claim ignorance.
PS, tell them you had a priceless fly rod it the trunk, and it's a total loss.

Oh and I'll vouch for the ignorance if you need a character witness. ;D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Shane

I wouldn't touch it. As far as I'm concerned it's a totally free car. AC?...IT"S A CONVERTABLE!  Don't spend a dime on the car, keep the oil changed and get regular tuneups.

Spend 3,500 on a trip to commemorate your engagement.

S

badankles

i agree, it'd be hard to get rid of, but again it's just a car... o-o  what am i saying, it's a miata.

i had a miata once... :'(

if it's an eye sore to you and you'd rather not deal with the improvements, you might get a good deal on it from some miata nut since it was one of the first...

as for the AC, well, like Shane said, it's a convertable.  you can get one of those personal cooling devices when it's too hot.   ;D
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

Savannah

i vote keep it,...i think its sweet you have the car your proposed to your wife in,.....if it were me i wouldnt let it go

shanktrout

WB,

I ran into a similar situation recently. The family business has an old dump truck. It was the first big thing the company ever purchased. It was bought new in 1978, a one ton dually. That truck has been used for three generations. My Grandpa died in '91 and my old man has worked a great deal keeping her up to par. We've worked that thing litterally to the ground. We call her ol' blue. A couple weeks ago the frame ended up crackin.  My brother Brandon, the crew, and I, had to jump up and shovell the ol' girl out. I swear I talked to her the entire time. I guess it was fitting that we worked hard for her one last time after all she's done for us, the old girl finaly decided she didn't want to work anymore. The funny thing was looking at my brother and the crew, like me, they didn't want to stop shoveling her out. We had clearly scraped all the loam we could out of the bed but for some reason we just couldn't stop scraping. We all wanted one more scrape out of her before we said goodbye I guess. Since Grandpa died the business has taken off and there's no doubt in our minds he's looking down proud, and from a financial standpoint we definitely don't need to run the old girl anymore, but I just don't know how I'd feel about letting her go. After your post, the more I think about it, the more I realize the significance of doing so. The whole thing is up in the air lately. Right now we just walk by her as she rests. Our options are to either keep running her out of sentimental value like we've been doing and pump more money into her, sell her, or memorialize her with a big bang. Anyway you cut it, I'll miss Old Blue. We got some thinking to do.

Savannah

i'd park her out front and plant roses in the bed,.....but thats just me

Grumpy

Do i wish i had the 2 67 GTO's & HD Sturgis back, yep, do i have the finances to keep pumping into them, nope, wish i did, but i don't.

Grumpy

FT

Buy something you can haul your toon on, then  do a full restoration on the Miata , park it in the garage and use it to take you wife out on special occasions.   
Charter Member Shenandoah Valley Irregulars

badankles

when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

flyman

Drive it over to the South Holston and leave the top down and the key in it 0--0
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: flyman on May 11, 2006, 17:23:31 PM
Drive it over to the South Holston and leave the top down and the key in it 0--0

you think i carry comprehensive insurance on a 17 year old car....????
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mstash

Quote from: FT on May 11, 2006, 08:45:46 AM
Buy something you can haul your toon on, then  do a full restoration on the Miata , park it in the garage and use it to take you wife out on special occasions.   

Amen