News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Nolichucky River

Started by WoodrowCall, July 14, 2009, 10:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodrowCall

Hey guys, my friend and I are planning a float trip down the Noli to do some smallmouth fishing, but I've never been down the river before. Can anyone recommend a day-long float trip on the Noli? Also, any patterns that are working would be much appreciated!

trouthead

I have never floated it, so I can't help you there. As for flies: anything that imitates a hellgrammite is probably your best bet. Crawdads are probably their next favorite meal. I have found wooly buggers (olive or black) to be a consistent pattern. Hope this helps.  0--0

WoodrowCall

Appreciate the suggestions. I'll also be taking a spinner, just in case the flies don't seem to be working.

Woolly Bugger

Where are you planning to float, in NC or TN???
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

WoodrowCall

I'm pretty open, to be honest. My friend has a cabin in Erwin, TN and we are staying there for the weekend, so the Noli near Erwin would be nice, but I'll go wherever I have to in order to catch some fish.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: WoodrowCall on July 14, 2009, 15:04:57 PM
I'm pretty open, to be honest. My friend has a cabin in Erwin, TN and we are staying there for the weekend, so the Noli near Erwin would be nice, but I'll go wherever I have to in order to catch some fish.

PM Kylemc, he's the chucky expert
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Txfly

Erwin's good, stay there.
Those fish like green. Poppers at first light, lightly weighted through the day, poppers at dusk,
there are some MONSTER fish over there.
I've seen six pounders in a few spots.

kylemc

I fish farther down but I know TX has been fishing the upper. As far as a day float you can put in at the raft Co in Erwin and float down to the Campground on Hwy 81. I like the float from the Newport hwy Bridge (Hwy 321) and float to Poplar sprins boat ramp (TWRA). Good luck and have fun on the "river of death" 0--0

Kyle

Oh yeah, the second float I listed is in Greene Co.

WoodrowCall

Quote from: kylemc on July 16, 2009, 13:52:00 PM
I fish farther down but I know TX has been fishing the upper. As far as a day float you can put in at the raft Co in Erwin and float down to the Campground on Hwy 81. I like the float from the Newport hwy Bridge (Hwy 321) and float to Poplar sprins boat ramp (TWRA). Good luck and have fun on the "river of death" 0--0

Kyle

Oh yeah, the second float I listed is in Greene Co.

Thanks, I think we'll be doing the float from from the Raft Co. down to 81 campground. Also, do you know of anyone who will set shuttles up there? We are trying to avoid bringing two cars; I'm thinking that Johnny's Hostel might be able to. Have you ever done it? Thanks again for the help with the route.

WoodrowCall

Can anyone tell me how the Noli is running? I am posting about my planned trip next week on the Noli and most of the guys on the East TN fishing are saying that the river is gonna be blown out from rain. I'm looking at the levels on Americanwhitewater and it's saying that it's low. Can anyone say whether it's runnable?

Woolly Bugger

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?03465500

looks like it *should* be clearing up, the South Holston, just 3 or 4 miles down from the dam was up and cloudy....

me -There's a season?

WoodrowCall

Ok, so I think we've decided that we're going to float from the bridge at Chestoa to the Riverside Campground. We're gonna have Johnny's Hostel shuttle us. Is anyone familiar with this run, done it before? Thanks for any advice anyone might have!

kylemc

Quote from: WoodrowCall on July 20, 2009, 20:06:37 PM
Ok, so I think we've decided that we're going to float from the bridge at Chestoa to the Riverside Campground. We're gonna have Johnny's Hostel shuttle us. Is anyone familiar with this run, done it before? Thanks for any advice anyone might have!

I have wade fished through there but never floated it. In years past you would have had to drag through ALOT of it.  I am floating the lower Nolichuck this weekend 0--0 First time I have fished in months. We have a month and a half off from racing and I am gonna fish as much as I can on the chucky when we are not practicing ;hb

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

WoodrowCall

Yikes, dragging doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. However, since we are relying on a shuttle, the hostel needs to either be the top or bottom of the run, so I guess we'll just cross our fingers and work our muscles if we have to. ???

kylemc

Quote from: WoodrowCall on July 21, 2009, 12:29:19 PM
Yikes, dragging doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. However, since we are relying on a shuttle, the hostel needs to either be the top or bottom of the run, so I guess we'll just cross our fingers and work our muscles if we have to. ???

I don't think you will have a problem. The years past I was talking about were drought years, you should have plenty of water 0--0