News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Brown and blue...

Started by AL trout bum, June 18, 2013, 12:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL trout bum

Close enough to the title...

Wanted to spend all weekend chasing the brown fish and the blue-cheeked redeye. Both mornings started out with a little ginger marinade.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Got on the water Saturday with hopes of finally getting a bigger smallmouth. However, as most of my fishing trips are, it was not ideal. For some reason the fishing was extremely slow, except for the rock bass. I made the comment early on that I have never caught a rockbass. I ate those words the rest of the day as I caught probably 386,423,510 of them, some even beat out the smallmouth for the fly. I now hate rock bass. A LOT!

I got on the board early with a decent brownfish.

And then it happened, my first rock bass.

And then another, then another....(only took pics of the larger ones)

It was still a nice float...

Caught a nicely colored up longear sunfish...

I did stay in the brownfish enough to keep me interested. Caught 15 or so on the day, although most were still in middle school. And I thought I was having a bad day...

More pics...

It was a good time and I definitely need to get redemption on that creek.

Sunday morning I wanted more abuse and decided to hit up the canyon for some redeye action. The tube hatch was out in full force....

However, a little hiking, swimming, and falling and you can get away from all that. It wasn't a stellar day, but I caught some redeye and a gazillion green sunfish and redbreasted sunfish. I hooked into one redeye that had to be 10 inches and very chunky. I lost him right at my feet. I would go on to lose some other smaller ones before I could get a pic, but I did get a few.

This place is heaven on earth, but man is it tough on the feet, boots and shins.

These were everywhere on the rocks. It would be cool to fish one of the hatches there...

At one of the big pools, Mr. No shoulders decided to swim across and freak me out.

I just assume all snakes are moccasins to play it safe. Apparently a buddy knew the difference.

I went on to catch several smaller redeye and more panfish. The scenery and company were good, but man am I glad to be home and on level ground. You can only walk on those boulders for so long.

Caught this little guy in the pool above:

Came across this little branch stream on the way out, I may need to investigate it further next time.

I started out chasing brown and blue, and in the end, my shins are brown and blue.
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

Jfey

Awesome.  That looks like a really fun place to explore.   Looks like that poor smallie got hit with a hatchet :o   
Yup, going fishing

Transylwader

That long ear sunfish looks like some exotic cichlid from Malawi. I dig the purity of the water. When you permitting Saffas to visit? I havent been to Alabama since Nazareth won the cup :(

Dougfish

Little fish need love too! Well played!  'c; /'/

Woolly Bugger

cool trip, good to see the sunscreen, I've been using if for years, and now add the buff too!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

bullship

Nice. Looks like good times
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

AL trout bum

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 18, 2013, 20:58:12 PM
cool trip, good to see the sunscreen, I've been using if for years, and now add the buff too!

I got a lot of weird looks from the swimming rednecks because I had on long sleeve shirt and pants as well. My grandfather died of melanoma and my dad has had several close calls. I'm not taking any chances.
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

AL trout bum

Quote from: Transylwader on June 18, 2013, 16:13:06 PM
That long ear sunfish looks like some exotic cichlid from Malawi. I dig the purity of the water. When you permitting Saffas to visit? I havent been to Alabama since Nazareth won the cup :(

Anytime dude.

tomato can

OldDominionAngler

Looks like a helluva good time.  'c;

Trout Chaser

Mighty fine report!!  Nice looking water.

TC

overbrook

Really good stuff.....and if there was ever a bug to be bought instead of tied at home...its a booglebug popper....them things are the shit!  I try to make mine similar with the topcoat of epoxy....never had one fail yet.....have tied a few new tails and legs on Booglebugs for friends....they come out looking as good as new....well worth the money.

AL trout bum

Quote from: overbrook on June 19, 2013, 11:31:16 AM
Really good stuff.....and if there was ever a bug to be bought instead of tied at home...its a booglebug popper....them things are the shit!  I try to make mine similar with the topcoat of epoxy....never had one fail yet.....have tied a few new tails and legs on Booglebugs for friends....they come out looking as good as new....well worth the money.

I bought these half price at a shop. They were "seconds" from the factory. I can't find a single thing wrong with them. I agree, they are great poppers!

overbrook

Quote from: AL trout bum on June 19, 2013, 12:20:16 PM
Quote from: overbrook on June 19, 2013, 11:31:16 AM

I bought these half price at a shop. They were "seconds" from the factory. I can't find a single thing wrong with them. I agree, they are great poppers!

In case you're interested....they also sell the "seconds" on ebay.....they do deface the logo....but otherwise I've heard the same thing.

kylemc

I miss smallmouth fishing as much as I miss Shane.