News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

BS spreads faster

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 05, 2019, 07:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/fake-news-spreads-faster-and-deeper-verified-stories-180968443/

I wonder if this trend is applicable to our passionate pursuits, such as fishing, hunting, etc.? 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

It’s the click bait headlines that pique the minds of the masses and they feel compelled to share on FB because it’s easier than creating their own content  p;-
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

The issue is not so much fake news vs. real news, but rather opinion commentary vs fair fact presentation.  The "news product" is simply now an product for the dumb masses to be entertained by. Said product should be treated like a narcotic, but people are too trashy to comprehend the hazards of consuming it.

Big J

I really believe social media is a major component on the spread too.  Anyone can create anything, no matter how blatantly ignorant and false, and people will share that crap all day long.

Woolly Bugger

Fox example I give you this

You cannot view this attachment.

How can we tell is this is realnews?

It’s funny as hell and is being reposted on FB at an alarming rate with absolutely no verification!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Perhaps we are losing our ability to critically think.  Social media, technology --- what is the reason?  Or are humans and our pattern seeking desires and our propensity for being hoodwinked by snake oil salesmen responsible?  Or maybe we are not behind in critical thinking and the number of dumbasses has not increased; is it easier now for the ill-informed gullible to express themselves?

I don’t believe we have a greater number of crazy, oblivious neighbors than we had 50 or 100 years ago.  What we have recently is a platform for the dazed to express their stupidity and spread the inanity.   I do believe we (~ 30%) are this stupid.

https://www.dailydot.com/via/dumb-things-30-percent-america-believes/

That is my hypothesis, and I don’t tweet, twerk, Instagram, blog, or facebook.  This forum is my lone contact with social media, or is this place considered unsocial media?
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?