News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

back at it

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 14, 2010, 08:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Wednesday night I cleaned and repaired my fly line and tied a new leader. I planned to fish a dry / dropper combo.  I hiked in about a mile before I started fishing, listening to the birds sing and the distant sound of the river below in the gorge. I didn't feel the need to catch any trout. The hike up the remote stream was enough, getting away from everything, no mechanical sounds; the wild sounds here aren't even interrupted by airplanes.  And I knew I wouldn't see another person while on the stream.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I tied on an unreasonably large stimulator with a Tellico dropper. First run, first cast, at the end of the drift a small brown rose up off the bottom and smashed the stimmy.  After catching a second trout of the dry I clipped of the dropper. 

I was moving fast, only briefly analyzing a run or pool for the best trout holding spot.  Sometimes I caught a fish on the first cast, often on the second and rarely on the third or fourth cast. I knew that some of the pools held trout and briefly entertained the notion of rigging up with a nymph again, but with miles of unspoiled water ahead I choose to keep moving.

I was just enjoying the green forest floor, ferns, moss and mayapples, the old fallen trees that were now being consumed by fungi, moss, ferns and new trees sprouted from the decaying trunks. I took a lot of photos, but still remained focused on fishing. Newts, frogs, skinks, salamanders, butterflies, and snakes along with the birds were my only companions, not to mention the yellow and black stoneflies.

I fished up through the second horseshoe before I ran out of time, I had to be back home for my daughters band concert! I can't get enough of this stream and I've still got more to explore. There were some signs of civilization, an old tire was caught up in a high water log jam, how it got there is beyond me. I felt like I was the only one who had been up to this middle section of the river, but on one stretch as I skirted a deep pool, I found another boot print on the gravel bar, just one foot print that was a day or two old.

On the way out I stopped at a spot where I had missed a good trout on my last trip. I was fishing a yellow sally and cast it into the head of the run. Perfect drift! I waited for the fish to hit the fly, but nothing happened, again and again I cast the dry fly fully expecting the fish to hit it. Finally I broke down and tied on a nymph, and on the first cast the fish hammered it. It put a good bend in the bamboo as I had to keep the fish out of the log jam. I wanted badly to get under those limbs and put up a good fight. 

My brief escape was over and I drove back into the reality of modern life, 4 lane highways, rush hour traffic, deadlines, and band concerts. See ya next week.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

calebB

dnakamoto

Looks like a great stream WB.  I haven't seen one of those red spotted newts in a long time.  0--0

troutphisher

Nice way to escape...... 0--0
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Z-Man

Nice escape.  I went with you at least for a few minutes.  Thanks.
Z-Man

In the great outdoors your soul expands to the horizon!

jwgnc

Great day - great photos as always
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

flynhokies

damn woolly those are some incredible pics, thanks
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

tbird4

trout4ever

Get Bent

Saweet pics.... I gotta get out and small crick it again. Its been a while...
;hb
Konichiwa Bitches!

blue ridge angler

thats what I'm talkin' bout!! 0--0

hopper

If you hunt with your kids you will never have to hunt for you kids.