News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Oregon Inlet flats

Started by CaddisMan, July 07, 2013, 07:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaddisMan

Enjoyed the trip to the flats near the Bonner Bridge. The predominant mode of fishing was from kayaks with spinning outfits. There were some waders fishing the holes for trout using live minnows. I saw them catch 1 or 2 over 45 minutes while I tried a few Clouser minnows on my intermediate line. I should have attached my sinking tip to get down closer to the bottom, but I got distracted by some kayaks out on the edge closer to the channel so I waded over and put on a White Deceiver. The bait fish schools had moved in recently and were breaking all around me. I could see silvery flashes ripping them but could not get strikes even after trying a number of other Clousers of various colors, so back to the Deceiver. After 2 hours of casting I was getting a little frustrated, then one of the kayakers brought in a nice Redfish. Then another score near by, and another. I knew it had to be my turn soon and so it was. The first strike I thought I had one on but my hook set was too light and it got off. Two casts later, larger strike and I set it strong. It was a nice little fight on my 5wt. He yanked me down to the backing twice before I could get the drag adjusted. Then we had nice little back and forth standoff. Eventually he tired and got netted.

They went as quick as they came and it slowed down. I never got a chance to poke around for Flounder as I wanted to get back for my son's birthday party. I really appreciated that 18 inch Redfish saving my day. I learned a lot and look forward to a return.

Thanks to SurfRider and Fishin Technician for the advice. Now back to my freshwater tailwaters, rivers and tributaries.

Cheers!

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

DRIFTS

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

bullship

Nice. I'm within miles of there at this very moment. Any of it look wadable? Ill be lucky to steal away a couple hours and trying to rent a kayak and all that bs is something I don't have time for. We went to the aquarium earlier and saw some monster black drum, tarpon, snook(do they actually live up here?) reds, etc, and it made me want to fish.
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

Transylwader

Well played. I havent salty fished in 8 months :'(

Michael Toris

Currently looking at the Oregon inlet. Have been here for 10 days.  Did you see me in my little jon boat?   

Busted the reds while here. Fish black and orange clousers bruh.

Bullship, phone call inbound

Michael Toris

Can't believe that three brfff's are here and I was unaware.  Poor planning on my part. Let the board down. My bad.

CaddisMan

Quote from: bullship on July 09, 2013, 13:57:01 PM
Nice. I'm within miles of there at this very moment. Any of it look wadable? Ill be lucky to steal away a couple hours and trying to rent a kayak and all that bs is something I don't have time for. We went to the aquarium earlier and saw some monster black drum, tarpon, snook(do they actually live up here?) reds, etc, and it made me want to fish.

Didn't see any other fly fishers the day I fished.  Glad to hear of more FF'ers in the area.  Anyone catch flounder on the fly rod?  Here is the area I waded.  Monitor tides closely and retrace your route to get back.  Good luck!

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Michael Toris

Caught a couple. Will put up some pics when I get  a chance

bullship

Plans have been foiled as of yet but I appreciate the info. Ill likely hit the inlet tomorrow morning but....my cousins are renting a house on the sound side and saw pods of reds tailing in their backyard. We shall see

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.

Michael Toris

Quote from: bullship on July 11, 2013, 06:21:54 AM
Plans have been foiled as of yet but I appreciate the info. Ill likely hit the inlet tomorrow morning but....my cousins are renting a house on the sound side and saw pods of reds tailing in their backyard. We shall see

Oh lawd. This is rare for OBX

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: steelrain202 on July 11, 2013, 20:12:30 PM
ill be in Savannah next week

Hv gd tm, sy hll t thndr fr m!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

I'll try an get it this weekend , can you stop the rain for a day or two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
me -There's a season?

bullship

Quote from: wildmttrout on July 11, 2013, 12:15:18 PM
Quote from: bullship on July 11, 2013, 06:21:54 AM

Oh lawd. This is rare for OBX

Apparently so. I had a few minutes of crazy excitement before I realized they were mullet. Lots of rain, big once a year hangover, and some fuckin mullet. What a morning.