News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Not what I was after, but fun nonetheless...

Started by AL trout bum, April 29, 2012, 12:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL trout bum

My goal was to catch rock bass, that's right I said rock bass. I have never caught one, but I hear stories that it is the fish that most people can't keep off their hooks. Naturally, that meant I would struggle. Got on the water around 6am, on a Saturday  :evil: in hopes that I would beat the redneck crowds to this area. I get to the first spot and find a nice rope swing/ewok village.

I started casting around the submerged structure, bud light cans, old flip flops, and some things I couldn't identify.

Pulled this little guy out pretty quick.

Nothing after that fish. The water is surprisingly cold. The fish are definitely not active. Regardless, I decide to head farther away from the redneck footprint.

I arrive here, to nice water...

Found a nice pool just downstream.

Saw a spotted gar cruising, but he wouldn't play. I kept casting hoping to at least annoy a fish into biting. I see a red flash and I'm hooked up....

I like red breasted sunfish, probably one of my favorite panfish, but I have caught so many in the last year that I wouldn't mind a break from them.

I head back upstream and come to a some shallower water in the sun. Maybe the fish will be more active in there?

Oh, you again..

Please, something other than a redbreasted sunfish hit my fly!

Oh, well, I asked for it.

I see a nice little eddy off to the side that had some foam on top and looked to be deeper than the surrounding water.

Hmmm....well at least I caught something....

I fished down maybe a mile, then made the trek back. Caught another redbreast. :roll:

Any of you amateur botanists know what these two plants are? They were everywhere...

It was a nice morning. I caught fish, can't complain. Maybe I will get into the rock bass when it warms up some. I did see a few mr. no shoulders which made wading through grassy areas a little unnerving. I seem to have bass kryptonite every time I fish creeks or rivers. Panfish however, love me.
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

benben reincarnated

Nice chit man.  I like that ewok-esque village

I have smallie kryptonite.  Almost every time I fish the French Broad near my house I end up with mostly sunnies.

AL trout bum

Quote from: benben on April 29, 2012, 17:02:31 PM
Nice chit man.  I like that ewok-esque village

I have smallie kryptonite.  Almost every time I fish the French Broad near my house I end up with mostly sunnies.

Hell, maybe if we fished together our bad luck would cancel out!  ;D

I did catch a panfish-sized largemouth today, damn't.  b';
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

phlyfisher

cool stuff man
if you really want some rock bass you can have some of ours from yankeeland....
seriously the damn things are everywhere...
but they put up a hell of a fight, so i have grown to really not mind seeing them crush my fly
[attach=1]

glad to see someone catching fish on top...its still cold as hell up here
0:0
live action
FB@Ohio Fly Fishing

overbrook

Holy freakin sheet! You look EXACTLY like Mclovin!  Thats funny as hell!  -0- -0- -0-

Good stuff ATB...those are some damn pretty fish....not a bad way to spend an afternooon at all!  :D

tomato can

That picture made me do a double take.  I believe the first plant is Mountain Laurell. I am unsure of the 2nd.

OldDominionAngler

Sounds like a good one.  Yeah, brookies are purty, but those are redbreasted sunnies are some of the coolest looking fish on the planet.   'c;

AL trout bum

Quote from: OldDominionAngler on April 30, 2012, 13:00:54 PM
Sounds like a good one.  Yeah, brookies are purty, but those are redbreasted sunnies are some of the coolest looking fish on the planet.   'c;

They seem to have a chip on their shoulder too, man do they fight compared to other panfish!

tomato can

We always called them brim; robin and the brim with the orange ear shell cracker.