Warm-Water Fly-Fishing Clinic in Fayetteville - June 9th

Started by Al, May 26, 2007, 09:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

I copied what is below the line from the NCWRC website. I know for a fact that there are a few more slots if anyone wants to sign up. Classroom portion will include: Overview, Casting, Knots, Ethics & Enviroment, Into to Fly Tying.

Where else can you get all this for $5 and we will even throw in coffee, soda, water and doughnuts.

Warm-Water Fly-Fishing Clinic Scheduled in Fayetteville

RALEIGH, N.C. (May 22, 2007) – Fly-fishing takes a certain amount of skill and practice. Anglers interested in learning the basics of this distinct fishing technique are encouraged to sign up for a warm-water fly-fishing clinic sponsored by the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission and the Fayetteville-Cumberland Parks and Recreation Department.

The 6-hour clinic will be held at the John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center off Lake Rim Road on June 9 from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.

Instructors, avid fly-fishing anglers from the community, will discuss and demonstrate proper fly-fishing techniques, including casting, rigging, fly tying and rod assembly. After the instruction course, participants will cast in two ponds for sunfishes and Bodie bass (striped bass and white bass hybrids).

The Commission will provide rods, reels and tackle.

Anglers of all ages can attend the clinic, although only participants 15 and younger are eligible to enter a statewide drawing to win a variety of prizes, such as rods, reels, spools of fishing line and tackle boxes, courtesy of Bass Pro Shops and the Wildlife Resources Commission. Grand prizes, donated by Progress Energy and a retired Commission employee, are three lifetime saltwater/freshwater fishing licenses, valued at $450 each.

Pre-registration is required, and space is limited to the first 30 people. To pre-register or for more information, contact Lake Rim Park, (910) 424-6134.

Al

As of yesterday there were a few slots left. Even if you call and are told it is full, if you show up the morning of the clinic with $5 in one hand and your own flyrod in the other I will make room for you. (we only have 40 fly rods as loaners)

Even if you're an accomplished fly fishermen you might want to try our smorgasbord of fish ponds. JEPFEC has 3 catfish ponds with 1000s of catfish in each (some up to 15 pounds), one hybrid striper pond (lots of 7-8 inch fish - still growing, just wait until next year), one sunfish pond (blue gills, pumpkin seeds, war-mouth), one bass pond with 75 trophy size bass and one pond with a mixed bag of sunfish, bass and carp.

This is not a "slam dunk" - the ponds resemble a half acre farm pond without any brush around it. Max depth is 5 feet. The water is stained so you can not sight fish. Some of the ponds have weeds at this time of the year. - I have seen folks walk away skunked.