News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

New Orvis Store in Charlotte

Started by wvyou, December 02, 2009, 17:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvyou

I've never been a "big box" shopper, but I received an Orvis $25.00 off coupon in the mail (for a $50.00 purchase) and figured what the hell.  I drove over to the new Charlotte store last night. 

Long story short...they didn't have the C&F fly box I wanted (waterproof, 40 rows with flip page in middle) in stock, so the manager, TJ, calls Chicago to get it for me.  They're delivering it to my house.

Like Orvis or not, that's good customer service.  Most big boxes wouldn't have gone the extra mile, especially for a guy with a coupon.   

Al

We have been over this before -

I am an Orvis fan. The only time I have not received good service from an Orvis store was in two separate stores which were "Orvis distributors", not Orvis owned stores. Both stores have since gone out of business and on reflection I can see why.

Woolly Bugger

Orvis puts a lot of demands on 'franchise' operators in an already tough business A fly shop is more than a brand, and customer service, individual or company, makes or breaks a fly shop along with LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

Winston has an Orvis store, not exclusive Orvis, located in the back end of an 'upscale' shopping center. I'm surprised that they are still in business, Stewart does a lot of work cultivating clients and arranging guided trips and travel. Fly tying supplies are sorely lacking despite the fact that they run classes. The must sell a lot of dog beds...

I hate that orvis sold out and discontinued CFO click and pawl reels. I admire them for their huge environmental donations. I love their customer service, but hate their large corporate policies.

Personally I own three CFO click and pawl rees, a vest, and one rod, the "one ounce" along with a few bamboo rods. The original one ounce came in a metal tube with a Brass cap. When I returned it the first time after it was run over by a friends truck, they sent me a new rod in a now current cordura covered plastic tube. The refused to send back the metal tube! The second time I broke the tip off the rod they again sent me a completely new rod and tube. The third time (Lauri drove over it!) and crushed the CFO and Broke only the cork on the end of the handle, they repaired the handle (I think) but it could be a brand new rod as well....

I use an Orvis Visa Rewards card and use that for my Fluorocarbon addiction and some other fly tying materials. Oh, and I got 'Sally' a monogrammed collar for Christmas.

I can't really knock Orvis but they aren't the only game in town....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Although I own quite a few Orvis products, they have all been purchased in the secondary market (ie used). Recent events in manufacturing locations, have driven the prices of Pre-China goods through the roof.

I recently lost a $310.00 bid on ebay for a first edition CFO III that sold for $429.31..... :'( ....sumbeech

However not all was lost, I have two CFO III 's coming on a box car from North West Classic tackle...... ;D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

I'm a big Orvis fan. I was an Orvis catalog model for years ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

Bwhahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought for sure my latex waders would win the commercial spot, in hindsight, I should have shown some ass.... ???
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

ASUfisherman

What's the deal with Orvis CFO reels??  Everyone on here is always talking about how great they are... I've never fished one, but what makes them so amazing?
Guitars, Whiskey, Guns, and Knives

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

wvyou

Quote from: Al on December 02, 2009, 17:37:16 PM
We have been over this before -

I am an Orvis fan. The only time I have not received good service from an Orvis store was in two separate stores which were "Orvis distributors", not Orvis owned stores. Both stores have since gone out of business and on reflection I can see why.

I didn't mean to rehash an old topic, but I did want to recognize the store and it's manager for good customer service. 

Platypus

I am not an orvis die hard but have bought their stuff on and off for 30 years, my dad used orvis rods for 25 years until he discovered Sage(he's is s tad slow sometimes). 

I stopped in the Raleigh store when it first opened and was browsing the rod rack when a woman shopper started asking me questions, I told her I did not work in the store but would be glad to help.  The other store employees were actually busy back when they first opened.  I am not sure if  lady ended up buying a rod and reel I was talking to her about but I went about my business.  I ended up buying a few flies I think.  When I went to check out the manager walked over and handed me a 50.00 gift card, I tried to politley refuse but she insisted becasue she had witnessed my helping the lady.  I thought that was pretty cool.  It didn't make me an Orvis exclusive shopper but I make the trek up there one a month or so to see what the have.  I try and support my local fly shop as much as possible too  but I gotta say I was impressed and it did foster some amout of loyalty.  They definitely try and satisfy, at least at the company stores.